Upcoming Shadow Priest Changes

Priest
Prev 1 2 3 4 10 Next
10/22/2018 09:46 PMPosted by Tempestwinds
Speaking as someone who played a spec that got no love in Legion or a meaningful post for over 18 months

Q_Q
Q_Q
Q_Q
Q_Q
Q_Q
We are already hurting in the burst aoe department, so, having longer void form durations is both a good and a bad thing, since we'll be seeing less void eruptions.

For single target fights, our dps will see a small increase, sure, but overall, I don't feel like these changes fix the core mechanical problems that his class has at the moment...namely, losing our execute niche by needing to spec into sub-par aoe talents to remain competitive in mythic+ and in some raid encounters. #siiiiiiiiiiigh
10/22/2018 10:47 PMPosted by Burninating
10/22/2018 09:37 PMPosted by Trapdancing

Less Utility? Use your brain......

MC, MD, Purge, Stun, Fear, Silence, Grip, and Swap........ Spriest has arguably the best utility of any class.

What hax do you have to have access to all of those talents at once as Shadow?

Also, who in their right mind says "SHADOWPRIEST WE NEED YOU TO MC THIS TARGET"

I spent all night doing it in m+ to get marksmen in Siege of Boralus out of blood pools

You have to get good at MCing as shadow in arena as well
10/22/2018 09:19 PMPosted by Slimeseason
They were never going to remove or change how voidform worked in the middle of an expansion, if you were holding out hope for that that’s on you

On top of this anyone who expected more changes to how shaman/shadow functioned at their core were also going to be let down because blizzard doesn't actually think anything is functionally wrong with any class or spec and they think everything is a tuning issue.
Overall, for PVP these changes are terrible... Mania was awesome for PVP. I never popped voidform, enjoyed the 20% constant reduction to all incoming damage, and the fact I could outrun hunters... Now, Voidform is going to be more essential in PVP, but we lose a lot of speed and the passive damage reduction is only against melee.

Dispersion was highly underwhelming. Now it is slightly less underwhelming.

For PVE, I fear these changes are too strong. We already have a skilled shadowpriest topping our heroic runs in Uldir for most fights (not me - I raid on my warrior). This shakes out to roughly a 30% buff in DPS... But doesnt address whether the spec is fun to play. For me its still too far a departure from what it used to be...
10/22/2018 09:39 PMPosted by Hroth
so 50% damage reduction with edge of insanity now? that's going to be fun.

For obvious reasons they won't let EoI stay untouched..
Voidform really has to go.

God, I hate these changes. My expectations for Blizz is so low yet I'm still disappointed.
I predict some time down the road in one of 8.1 patch notes...

Increase damage done by all classes except Shadow Priests by 20%.

:D
I'm all in favor. The only thing I wish was for baseline shadow word death again. Other than that, great and much needed changes
well, i for one welcome the general buffs
Just curious if they might add a signature utility to help secure M+ invites? Currently there seems to be very little benefit (compared to say a warlock health/soulstone/portal -- or the utility of a Balance Druid's treants, battle rez, aoe silence, etc).

Half hour before this news, I was planning on leveling my priest for straight PvE holy healing. I may stick with that plan, but buffing shadow helps the overall class decision. A group utility buff beyond 2 min Vampiric Embrace would be really cool though, please add something for priests! I dare not suggest something and be shot down for the suggestion, but.... something..... A 50% slow on everything with Vampiric Touch? See, I don't know. But, Frost mages get invited to M+ for slows...

A smoother rotation and quality of life is great but not useful if you can't get invited into small groups as a dps slot. This is a main concern for half of all class specs now. And a main reason why I'm still believing that healing will get me into groups whereas shadow will probably not (as nice as this list of changes seem) based on many forum posts I have read about rejection from group invites amongst shadow priests. That'd be a true quality of life fix: Invites that stem from desire to have your utility added to the group! I made a similar request for Windwalker monks on their forum too.

Lots of people feeling the 'so-called-meta' burn. I'd like to see the flames doused before I it affects me, quite selfishly. Committing to a class or a spec is a major life decision lol, we're talking hundreds of hours of our life invested in characters we want to feel valued for in return. We just need that little something special to make everyone glad to invite us, that's all. Is the Fortitude buff enough? Apparently not in the eyes of people forming groups. A slow or a snare might be just the thing?
The first thing that popped into my mind was "THIS... THIS.. is the big 8.1 rework!?!?" It feels like they just started looking at SP since that Q&A where Lore said "We're looking into shadowpriest"

This is exactly what I feared! That the rework would be just the re distribution of damage into spells and into VF.
This is basically a numbers tuning, which could've been done prior to 8.1. Damage is not currently terrible, only bad in comparison to the S-tiers for M+

Shame on me for believing the 8.1 "rework" though right?

These tags of "I expected nothing and still am disappointed" are pretty spot on with how I should be feeling, but I'm on the other end of the spectrum where "I believed they would get it right but faith misplaced."

They're really still sticking with a lesser version of Legion VF. What's the point of staying in it longer if no Mass Hysteria, just for haste stacking and chorus of insanity?? I'll comment later.

Dispersion: It's great!! that we are getting back something that was baked into our Artifact Trait back in legion. Please don't think this is something new. It's a "here you can have this back"

Where's SWD?

IDK...
I have a warlock/boomy/elesham on standby, but still, SP is where the heart is.
Problems with shadow and how these changes addressed:

1.) Void Form Stacks dont matter anymore since losing the artifact weapon(only gives haste now)

Changes they made to address this: Void Form gives an additional 10% damage and last longer. This means not only do stacks still not matter but now we have longer periods between Void Eruptions.

2.)No unique utility to warrant taking one when you already have a healing priest.

Didn't fix this and your raid will always have a Healing Priest as a main healer because of how good they are so no reason to take a Shadow.

3.) Low damage output even in their specialty.

Some of the power we would of gained from the 10% additional Void Form damage is going to be taken away due to the fact that we will have less Void Eruptions, really gonna be Noticable in dungeons and AoE.

4.) Talents that have to do with maintaining stacks are useless. Still useless because stacks are still useless.

Basically talent choices won't change and this is a glorified aura buff.

10/23/2018 01:04 AMPosted by Jedimindtrx
Dispersion: It's great!! that we are getting back something that was baked into our Artifact Trait back in legion. Please don't think this is something new. It's a "here you can have this back"

This is probably the best take away from the changes.
Nice rework blizzard.... oh wait that's not a rework... that's just them reverting nerfs from Legion to BFA and some minor ability buffs....
10/22/2018 09:39 PMPosted by Hroth
so 50% damage reduction with edge of insanity now? that's going to be fun.

It's very likely this will be nerfed/changed or outright removed.
That's it?

Shadow needed significant enough changes that it couldn't be done in just a "numbers patch" and now PvE gets basically 3 numbers adjustments and some already niche talents get replaced for another set of niche talents?

What an absolute joke.

Nothing that makes Shadow Priests wanted in groups.
Nothing that fixes the clunky nature of the spec.
Nothing that makes VF more than 2 button spam.
Nothing that makes Shadow good for questing or dungeons.

Good thing we waited months for this HUGE rework that fixes our issues.

The T15 talent row tells us that no one at Blizzard plays a Spriest. There is no choice in that row because of overlap on the deep level of spell synergy of spamming 2 buttons mindlessly in VF and yet neither of those issues get addressed. Instead its a few % changes because the utterly incompetent developers handling Spriests right now actually think the issue is damage numbers and not spec functionality. Jesus H Christ.
Most of those changes are good. Specifically the utility ones. However, i still feel like voidform should go. I would rather insanity generation be like warrior fury. generate insanity using dots and other dps abilities and then spend insanity on more major attacks like voidbolt, vampiric embrace....... it would flow so much better imo. im gonna log onto PTR and check these changes out thoroughly today. If my opinion is changed about voidform(not that it matters) I will happily redact my statement.
Also, who in their right mind says "SHADOWPRIEST WE NEED YOU TO MC THIS TARGET"

Anyone that wants to win in arena?
10/23/2018 01:29 AMPosted by Malyx
Problems with shadow and how these changes addressed:

1.) Void Form Stacks dont matter anymore since losing the artifact weapon(only gives haste now)

Changes they made to address this: Void Form gives an additional 10% damage and last longer. This means not only do stacks still not matter but now we have longer periods between Void Eruptions.

2.)No unique utility to warrant taking one when you already have a healing priest.

Didn't fix this and your raid will always have a Healing Priest as a main healer because of how good they are so no reason to take a Shadow.

3.) Low damage output even in their specialty.

Some of the power we would of gained from the 10% additional Void Form damage is going to be taken away due to the fact that we will have less Void Eruptions, really gonna be Noticable in dungeons and AoE.

4.) Talents that have to do with maintaining stacks are useless. Still useless because stacks are still useless.

Basically talent choices won't change and this is a glorified aura buff.

10/23/2018 01:04 AMPosted by Jedimindtrx

This is probably the best take away from the changes.

Void Eruption Damage is over rated. Sure it'll look good if your forcing yourself out of void form by standing around doing nothing but its the lowest source of AoE damage you should have.