Upcoming Shadow Priest Changes

Priest
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
10/22/2018 08:55 PMPosted by Xaestra
where is a usable dispersion without sacrificing our only mobility?

dispersion baseline will be a 75% damage reduction and a 50% movement increase. Sounds pretty good to me for baseline dispersion
Shadowform’s Physical Damage Reduction
Shadowform's 10% physical damage reduction was intended to feel like a bonus to Shadowform, but instead felt like a penalty to Voidform, since you lose that defensive benefit going into Voidform.

We’re replacing this bonus from Shadowform with the Focused Will passive (which the other two Priest specs already have), causing melee abilities and attacks to reduce all damage taken by 15% for 8 sec.

This is a good example of why I can't understand the changes...like instead of just letting void form keep the 10% physical dmg reduction they are completely changing it? I just don't get it.
I am happy about dispersion, and the new talent associated with it.
10/23/2018 06:17 AMPosted by Invictae

This is a good example of why I can't understand the changes...like instead of just letting void form keep the 10% physical dmg reduction they are completely changing it? I just don't get it.

Developers need to justify their existence somehow.

Why make, dare i say it "balanced" simple changes when you can make tangentially related, convoluted, needlessly complex and inadequate changes then pretend like balancing specs is difficult?

Everyone knows what Shadows problems are. Everyone knows why Shadow was dog!@#$ in M+ in Legion and everyone knows why they're dog%^-* in BFA.

Blizzard's balancing approach seems to be to just cycle between "Voidform too strong so spec is OP in ideal conditions and garbage otherwise" and "VF uptime is meaningless because all the specs power is now evenly distributed between mindlessly spammy filler spells but none of them are AoE".

The developers at Blizzard probably think it takes 200 IQ to figure this out.

Wait till a week after 8.1 and these forums fill up with people complaining that Shadow is stupidly OP in PvP but garbage in M+ and half the raid fights because of VF uptime.

It's almost like we've done this dance before, Blizzard.
I find it hilarious that people actually thought Blizzard would totally change a spec mid expansion. That was never going to happen.

Good changes (well, more buffs than anything) so now I can actually say "I can go shadow if needed" with a straight face and people won't make fun of me.
10/23/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Kuruptshun
I find it hilarious that people actually thought Blizzard would totally change a spec mid expansion. That was never going to happen.

Except for the part where they PROMISED THEY WOULD prior to BfA launch, saying Shadow would be reworked in 8.1 the changes were going to take sooo much time to implement, they couldn't fit it all in.

And did you see what they did to rework Warlocks prior to launch? Yeah, everyone was expecting THAT meaning of the word 'rework'. They 'totally changed a spec' or three there. So actually, not hilarious at all. Big changes were expected.

I would use the words "highly anticipated" and considering it's been months, those expectations should have been sky high. There still are high expectations. But, right about now I would start to lower those expectations of a super-cool spec redesign, a bit...
While the changes on paper are a step in the right direction, they ignore the reason I benched my Priest and will continue to keep it benched and at 110.

I. Do. Not. Like. Voidform.

Make Voidform Matter More

Frankly, this line is more of an insult than a solution and it tells me Blizzard has no problem just tearing any class / spec away from players just 'because', or for funsies at any time. That in turn makes me not want to waste my time, sinking (see what I did there?) too much effort into this game.

It's just not worth it.

See I'm one of the people who rolled one in late BC, early Wrath who liked the play-style and aesthetic they had then. I liked the Vampiric / Shadow Ravens / Shadow Orbs / Devouring Plague Priest.

I did not appreciate Blizzard deciding to grab my class, delete it, and give me a new one in Legion that should of been called "Cultist" Spec and say that "now" I'll have more fun.

While there are still some good parts to Shadow Priest, I will not ever be happy until Voidform is the new Shadowform, we have better control over our resource and the original playstyle we enjoyed in BC, Wrath, Cata, MoP, and WoD is back.

Why in the hell would I slowly drain Insanity to go.. Sane?

But hey, Orc Priests finally! ..Too bad the class isn't enjoyable or recognizable.

...Thanks!

/sarcasm off
You people will complain about everything. These changes are great for single target, which is arguably our biggest weakness.

Yes, this will shift our AOE Damage more towards dots, and away from Void Eruption. It reduces the frequency of our ability to Burst AOE, but we still have Dark Ascention (though, honestly I think Legacy of the Void will be better for M+ now). And it reinvigorates our niche as a dot spread and sustained damage class, and the extended void forms increases our dot cleave, reducing the reliance on Void Eruption anyway.

If you were hoping Void Form would get removed, you were deluding yourself. And if all you care about is burst AOE, why aren’t you playing melee?
10/23/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Erim
While the changes on paper are a step in the right direction, they ignore the reason I benched my Priest and will continue to keep it benched and at 110.

I. Do. Not. Like. Voidform.

Make Voidform Matter More

Frankly, this line is more of an insult than a solution and it tells me Blizzard has no problem just tearing any class / spec away from players just 'because', or for funsies at any time. That in turn makes me not want to waste my time, sinking (see what I did there?) too much effort into this game.

It's just not worth it.

See I'm one of the people who rolled one in late BC, early Wrath who liked the play-style and aesthetic they had then. I liked the Vampiric / Shadow Ravens / Shadow Orbs / Devouring Plague Priest.

I did not appreciate Blizzard deciding to grab my class, delete it, and give me a new one in Legion that should of been called "Cultist" Spec and say that "now" I'll have more fun.

While there are still some good parts to Shadow Priest, I will not ever be happy until Voidform is the new Shadowform, we have better control over our resource and the original playstyle we enjoyed in BC, Wrath, Cata, MoP, and WoD is back.

Why in the hell would I slowly drain Insanity to go.. Sane?

But hey, Orc Priests finally! ..Too bad the class isn't enjoyable or recognizable.

...Thanks!

/sarcasm off

I’m having fun. I want voidform to stay.
While we're at it, can we change Power Word: Shield to be Shadow Word: Shield or something that looks more void-like? Doesn't even have to act different and I know its not a tuning change but they're looking at us already and I always feel weird casting a holy spell when I have fully embraced the glory and power of the Old Gods. Maybe? No? Ok, it was worth a shot
What was the point of reducing the length of Voidform only to just increase it again in a later patch?

So the orginal BFA plans were pointless and you guys want to bring Legion Shadow back? I'm so confused. I was expecting a whole rework /sigh.
I liked the version of Void Bolt that refreshed DoT duration to full rather than extend it (like what we have now). Wish they brought that back instead.
10/23/2018 08:32 AMPosted by Umbrah
While we're at it, can we change Power Word: Shield to be Shadow Word: Shield or something that looks more void-like? Doesn't even have to act different and I know its not a tuning change but they're looking at us already and I always feel weird casting a holy spell when I have fully embraced the glory and power of the Old Gods. Maybe? No? Ok, it was worth a shot

That is something I've wanted forever. Just for the love of god change the holy bubble on us and get rid of the sparkles during levitate.
10/23/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Whitebolts
You people will complain about everything. These changes are great for single target, which is arguably our biggest weakness.

Yes, this will shift our AOE Damage more towards dots, and away from Void Eruption. It reduces the frequency of our ability to Burst AOE, but we still have Dark Ascention (though, honestly I think Legacy of the Void will be better for M+ now). And it reinvigorates our niche as a dot spread and sustained damage class.

If you were hoping Void Form would get removed, you were deluding yourself. And if all you care about is burst AOE, why aren’t you playing melee?

Shadow used to be insanely fun in the past. Some prefer Cata/Wotlk and some prefer Shadow Orbs, but both worked better than this. Voidform has been a nightmare to balance since its inception. It's a mechanic that's severely hindered in dungeons/soloing and abusable in raids. It didn't work in Legion and it's not going to work now.

Priests have been lowest represented dps class in m+ for 2 expansions now. We are a popular class so this is absolutely ridiculous. These tweaks won't change any of this.
So my biggest issues is that there is no reliable way to AoE for m+. If we look at something like DH and eye beam, it is a significant amount to AoE on a 30 second CD which basically means usable every trash pack.

I would love to see the CD on dark ascension brought in line with this so it can be usable much more tactically.

I also think it would be great to give shadow a way to use void eruption while in void form. Think of it this way, we need to et to 90 insanity to cast void eruption and enter void form. We then consistently generate more insanity in void form. They should track how much insanity you generate, and every 90 insanity you generate you get to case void eruption (preferable without a cast time, or a short cast time) while you are still in void form. This would help the AoE situation and give you a reason to not want to drop out of void form.
We were told, like verbatim, that we were getting a rework.

These are bandaid buffs...

Guess I’ll let my sub run out. They’re nerfing Holy and Disc hard iirc, and now we’re still stuck with void form as shadow.

I’m out. Gl and hf all.
I feel the people happy with these changes are just kneejerk reacting to positivity going their way and not realizing this does almost nothing.
10/23/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Karelia
Except for the part where they PROMISED THEY WOULD prior to BfA launch, saying Shadow would be reworked in 8.1 the changes were going to take sooo much time to implement, they couldn't fit it all in.

And did you see what they did to rework Warlocks prior to launch? Yeah, everyone was expecting THAT meaning of the word 'rework'. They 'totally changed a spec' or three there. So actually, not hilarious at all. Big changes were expected.

The problem is Blizzard promises !@#$ all the time, doesn't mean it'll happen.

As for your other comment of warlocks being reworked, well you just said it was prior to launch, which makes sense for a rework. It sucks that Blizzard made a lot of people think that a rework was coming, but there was no chance Void Form was going away until next xpac.
10/23/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Karelia

Can someone find the blue post in question? I'm at work so I can't really dedicate a lot of time to digging for it. I don't think they promised a rework so much as just changes, but I could be wrong.

The changes don't solve all the problems, but it's not a bad start. I'd like to see something done about MB/VB CD clashes and SW:D still feels awkward in the tree.

I'm kind of interested to see if Surrender/LI works out well, since Surrender is the best way to get a large number of VF stacks for LI without being able to take Void Torrent or Mindbender. The fifteen seconds of no insanity isn't that bad if you're sporting an extra 20% haste for most of it. Does Dispersion work to reduce the self-damage?