Looking to get into RP

Wyrmrest Accord
Hello fellow WoW players,

I’m seeking some assistance on a race class combination that would work well with a character I’m working on. This will be my first time leveling and playing end game on a roleplaying server.

A little about me: I’ve played since MoP and views the game mainly as a single player adventure game till end game then a dungeon crawler at end game. I’m looking to bring some social fun and roleplaying in to WoW to make it more enjoyable. I don’t know a lot of lore so looking for something that would be more friendly to lack of lore knowledge. I would be looking for something that would make playing multiple roles work with the story. If that’s dps and healer, dps and tanks, or all three that’s fine with me.

A little about the character: Events in his childhood and teenage years led him to be more cautious of others, making him appear as a loner. He doesn’t start fights but will finish them. His hands will show evidence of labor, so he is a commoner trying to make a good life for himself. He will have some flaws (maybe enjoy ale too much, blunt, lack of emapthy) still playing around with the flaws I’ll like to use.

If you read this much thank you so much!! Any assistance and tips would be greatly appreciated!
Loner RP is hard, especially if you're new to it. You'll spend the majority of your time in groups feeling ignored, rather than like the cool rival to the spastic lead.
I agree. I would start out with a character that is more social.

Think simple as first, you can always build on it later. So things like vendors, craftsmen, working-class folks. If you are thinking the druid you posted on, they could simply be a member of the Cenarion Circle and fighting the good fight.

You don't really need to know lore to start out, but knowing the simple things like:
What: what is my characters motivations? What do they want?
Why: why does my character want that? Why is my character like this?
How: How is my character going to get that? How are they being deterred?

That might be helpful!
Surprisingly few folks RP Druids of an agrarian bent, despite the fact that there's a whole group of them you quest for in Western Plaguelands.
Back when this one used to be an actual cow, I found that being a druid was really easy to RP as I could just RP as a druid in training. So it didn't matter if I didn't know the entire history, dates, places, etc...

Basically any class in training could be the same.
If you don't know a lot about lore, I'd advise against playing a long-lived race (eg, elves) because they've lived through a bunch of wars and stuff.

The absolute easiest race to start RPing with in MY opinion is Forsaken, because you can always start with a complete memory wipe. Being raised from the dead is a good excuse to have complete amnesia.

Pandaren are another good one to start with because they've been secluded for so long they wouldn't be expected to know the world history. It's a good idea to read up a bit on Pandaren culture first if you go this route, of course; but it's less of a learning curve.

Gnomes have also been given like, no lore to speak of, so there's not much to learn if you wanna play one of them. Dwarves and humans also have a pretty low learning curve, although some basic "Azeroth history 101" would undoubtedly be helpful.

10/24/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Amìcus
His hands will show evidence of labor, so he is a commoner trying to make a good life for himself. He will have some flaws (maybe enjoy ale too much, blunt, lack of emapthy) still playing around with the flaws I’ll like to use.

"Commoner trying to make a good life for himself" lends itself best, IMO, to:

Rogue (I'm thinking of that line from Aladdin where he sings "Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat... otherwise we'd get along!")
Monk (since this can be practiced in secret... makes even more sense if you go Pandaren)
Hunter (because Daddy's gotta put some food on the table, right?)

You may also be able to get away with Warrior (maybe he worked for a period of time as a Bouncer or something, or was drafted?) and pooooooooossibly Druid... although I have a harder time figuring out how a commoner would learn Druidism.

10/24/2018 09:17 PMPosted by Killmaim
Loner RP is hard, especially if you're new to it. You'll spend the majority of your time in groups feeling ignored, rather than like the cool rival to the spastic lead.

Agreed. If you play a loner you will always be alone. I know this from experience. It wasn't until I started playing more outgoing characters that I started getting any good RP.
Playing a civilian character is another good way to stick your foot into the rp-pool without having to know much lore! I fully support playing a druid-in-training too. No one expects the sheltered new kid to know all the details of inter-kingdom politics.

Normally I would agree that a long-lived night elf might not be the best place to start, but given that Darnassus was just trashed and tons of otherwise cloistered civilians are being tossed into the world, this is a great time to make an ignorant elf.

All in all, I hope you have a great time with whatever character you end up playing! I don't know if you've grabbed an RP add-on like trp3 or xrp yet, but I strongly suggest picking one of them up. One of the ways I learned in-game rp was stealthing on my rogue and just watching people in an RP hub. A little creepy, maybe, but I learned a lot and had a good time.
[Guide] As a new Roleplayer, I wish I knew...
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769596852