Deserter debuff is a problem.

General Discussion
And a problem that is eventually going to lead me(and others) to unsubscribing to this game.
This is a daily occurrence, especially with island expeditions, where a group of people will vote kick you if you try to explore. Or to just simply troll you because they feel like being jerks. Once kicked, it effects not only island expoditions, but dungeons too.

I understand that the disaster debuff was put in place for tanks and healers that were afking to get kicked so they could join another queue, but the implementation is absolutely terrible.

Because a tank wants to be a jerk, he has no wait time so when he gets a debuff, its a 30 minute wait time and that is it. For a dps, we have roughly 20 minute queue times. So we queue for a dungeon that takes 20 minutes, get kicked and have to wait another 30 minute, then queue up again for another 20 minute wait.

thats a whole hour and 10 minutes of my life wasted because someone wanted to troll and its complete bull. Why not finding another way to implement this? Here's a couple ways this could be implemented

1) Allow people to queue up while they have the debuff, but if the queue timer is shorter than the debuff, their queue wont pop until shortly after the debuff, putting them first in queue for the next dungeon group.

2) Daily/weekly increasing debuff timer. 1st kick gets you a 5 minute debuff. 2nd kick gets you a 10 minute debuf. 3rd gets you 15. ect

There is no reason that dps should be punished due to low queue times for a different class. and there is no reason I should get a debuff on island expoditions in general because the queue timers are so short it isn't even a problem when someone leaves/gets kicked.

Proof that this happens, and just happened to me and happens for no reason:
Nothing was said in chat, I was exploring the island. Heard an azerite explosion or something and started making my way to it when...
https://imgur.com/a/ZH9nQ9w
What are you doing to get kicked daily?

I've never been kicked, like ever.
You shouldn't be wasting time exploring in an Island Expedition. It's on a timer and if you're not contributing I'd kick you too.
11/01/2018 08:43 AMPosted by Akkili
I understand that the disaster debuff was put in place for tanks and healers that were afking to get kicked so they could join another queue, but the implementation is absolutely terrible.

Like over five years ago... You are just realizing that it is in the game now?
Just like a lot of changes in this game, a few bad apples have indeed spoiled the whole bunch.
If you're solo queuing for Island Expeditions, you need to ask the other two players what their strategy is. The majority of people in IE's are there to farm mobs for mounts and pets and such. If you farm azerite, you're going to get kicked (As you'll be ending match sooner and limiting their mob kills). If you go off on your own, you're going to get kicked because you're making it harder to kill large groups of mobs.

The deserter buff is not the problem. In fact, I'd say it was working as intended. You have to learn to work with others based on what the majority wants when not forming your own groups. That buff is literally coaching you right now to consider that there are two other players in that group who have a strategy different from yours.
11/01/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Vaeana
Just like a lot of changes in this game, a few bad apples have indeed spoiled the whole bunch.

I'm quitting too, what game are you going to be playing next?
What I do OP is follow people around in IE. I'll attack what they attack. Never once been kicked from the group. Sure, I could ask them what we're doing exactly, but I don't really care. I'm there just because I got nothing else to do/gotten bored of WQ's.
Ive leveled 5 toons from islands, and been kicked 3 times. Once i pulled far too much and wiped us as a tank. Once was a troll group. Once I goofed thinking i was going somewhere and ran around the back of the island. All understandable. If you are kicked weekly, you are seriously bad dude. The people posting here have a point. It is a group activity, and these people also have aims and goals. Mostly the goal of islands are to get the island only loot. This requires killing more rares, and you going off on your own means people are going to have to work harder, and not get as many rare kills. YOU are actively making the thing worse by your own wanderlust. Wanna explore an island? Get a guild group and go to town. Don't expect pugs to put up with your desires.
It is NOT a problem, you are doing something wrong or being toxic. It should actually last 24 hours.
Solution #1 : form a full group
Solution #2 : don't 'do your own thing's in group content with strangers.
The something that needs to be done is you learning to be a team player.
Its a big problem in the game in my opinion. Its heavily abused. I've always felt it should be redesigned to make players who are active within the instance be immune to vote kicking. I feel like it should only be there for AFK players which makes sense. If someone is being a jerk then report them for it and finish the instance. It should be based on participation and when the system sees you have a certain activity level within the instance then you are immune to being vote kicked. The current system discourages me from playing sometimes, and makes me not want to participate in parts of the game. I can only imagine how new players must feel like when this happens to them and they don't know why. It needs to change. It should've changed years ago.
11/01/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Anela

Wrong. Many players are kicked even being a team player. Why? Because a lot of jerks out there do it just because they can. It should be based on participation so another words if you're active you can't be kicked. If you're AFK you can be. If someone is being a jerk, report them.
11/01/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Anorela
Its a big problem in the game in my opinion. Its heavily abused. I've always felt it should be redesigned to make players who are active within the instance be immune to vote kicking. I feel like it should only be there for AFK players which makes sense. If someone is being a jerk then report them for it and finish the instance. It should be based on participation and when the system sees you have a certain activity level within the instance then you are immune to being vote kicked. The current system discourages me from playing sometimes, and makes me not want to participate in parts of the game. I can only imagine how new players must feel like when this happens to them and they don't know why. It needs to change. It should've changed years ago.

Nonsense. Anorela needs a lifetime ban blizz.
11/01/2018 09:38 AMPosted by Anorela

I disagree entirely. The group finder is there to provide the greatest amount of convenience to the greatest amount of people. "Participation protection", as you are suggesting, creates a breakdown of the system, as those most capable of carrying a group gimped by poor participation begin avoiding it due to it becoming an inefficient tool. By allowing the majority to kick for any reason, it preserves the likelihood that any given group created by the group finder succeeds.

People that aren't consistently contributing to a group to the satisfaction of a majority of players need to find friends, guilds, and communities that can help them complete their objectives and/or learn how to improve their play.

EDIT (To add): That anything other than a majority rules kick creates an arbitrary standard that is impossible to defend. What is the threshold? Auto-attack? 30% of the DPS but you hold the group hostage by repeatedly face-pulling?
11/01/2018 09:42 AMPosted by Anorela
11/01/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Anela

Wrong. Many players are kicked even being a team player. Why? Because a lot of jerks out there do it just because they can. It should be based on participation so another words if you're active you can't be kicked. If you're AFK you can be. If someone is being a jerk, report them.

No. It's not a dictatorship. Group play is a democracy and the majority rules. You can't force people to play with people they don't want to regardless of their reasoning why. This person is leaving his/her group in expeditions to go explore on their own. Active but not actively participating. I'd be kicking them too. If I didn't have an option to remove people I didn't want to play with in my groups I'd be hitting Alt/F4 and noping out of dungeons myself.
11/01/2018 08:58 AMPosted by Ryuk
You shouldn't be wasting time exploring in an Island Expedition. It's on a timer and if you're not contributing I'd kick you too.

Because obviously YOUR way is the ONLY way to play the game.
I should not be forced to keep an abusive person in a group with me. VTK is majority rules and is fine.
11/01/2018 09:42 AMPosted by Anorela
It should be based on participation so another words if you're active you can't be kicked.

Active doesn't mean anything. I can sit off in a corner spamming regrowth and the game will see me as active. Or stealth around killing critters. Or pulling the whole dungeon onto the party and shadowmelding.

The kick is there for one reason and one reason only:

The majority of the party doesn't want you there.

I've been kicked, COUNTING EVERY CHARACTER I HAVE, like 3 times from the day it was implemented!

This is a you problem, not a game problem.