They're making Classic for retailers

Classic Discussion
-No box fee
The old school Vanilla players would happily fork over $30-$40 for Classic. Retailers who have a culture of disdain towards Classic wont. Blizzard has no box fee for Classic because their primary target are retailers not old players

-Using 1.12 talents in old raids
This will trivialize all pre-Naxx raids. Old timers wont like this, retailers will love being able to AOE their way through these raids with no thought or planning.

-Time gated release schedule
A mechanic all retailers are well familar with. Mindlessly farm easy raids (thanks to 1.12 buffs) and wait for the next patch to come out. Mindlessly farm that one and wait for the next. Feels right at home for retailers.

The biggest takeway for me from all this is that Blizzard doesn't intend for Classic to be around for a long time. Choosing to use 1.12 talents without buffing old raids, and choosing to release content progressively means that only players who start Classic on day one will get the full experience. If you hear about Classic in summer 2020 and want to try it, most of the endgame content will be trivial, and no one will be running it.

Its honestly very odd that Blizzard would design this in such a way as to trivialize the games content and reduce its life span. It doesn't seem consistent with their statement of "classic being around as long as WoW is". For a game that could very well be around for a decade, I would have thought a progression through gearing would make far more sense. That would keep all the old raids relevant for as long as new players were playing the game.
11/04/2018 11:02 AMPosted by Jihm
No box fee
The old school Vanilla players would happily fork over $30-$40 for Classic. Retailers who have a culture of disdain towards Classic wont. Blizzard has no box fee for Classic because their primary target are retailers not old players

No reason to pay for a game we already own. Sure they had to put in work to make it function on current bnet but it's not a new game. I purchased it twice once back in 05 and then another in wrath when I made a second account.

Using 1.12 talents in old raids
This will trivialize all pre-Naxx raids. Old timers wont like this, retailers will love being able to AOE their way through these raids with no thought or planning.

1.12 was always going to be the patch the classic servers were going to be based on, just by merit of having a culmination of bug fixes and content. I don't know that balance is going be exactly as it was in 1.12 why don't you give some feed back instead of worthless whining.

Time gated release schedule
A mechanic all retailers are well familar with. Mindlessly farm easy raids (thanks to 1.12 buffs) and wait for the next patch to come out. Mindlessly farm that one and wait for the next. Feels right at home for retailers.

And it's when you get to points like this that baffle you. People kept asking for servers that went from 1.1 to 1.12 which was unrealistic. That would basically involve recreating every patch including bugs without much real benefit. This was the compromise a lot of people asked for instead of simply getting everything all at once, but there is always those guys like you who were never going to be happy with anything.
oh look, another sky is falling thread with no real substance.
That's dangerous thinking, Jihm. You best stick to your work.
One of the worst OP I have ever seen, full of lies and clueless crap.
No box fee

We don't know this for sure yet.

. If you hear about Classic in summer 2020 and want to try it, most of the endgame content will be trivial, and no one will be running it.

Being 100% honest the long term of Classic will be way more pvp based than anything, eventually more and more people will clear the PvE content, but PvP can still pretty much be the same.
1.12 at launch was exactly what expected.
They said they picked 1.12 because it was the most complete.
They also said they wanted a museum piece...that indicates static game.

OP...you wanted more than what they promised.
11/04/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Studmuffyn
Being 100% honest the long term of Classic will be way more pvp based than anything, eventually more and more people will clear the PvE content, but PvP can still pretty much be the same.
11/04/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Brockthorn
1.12 at launch was exactly what expected.
They said they picked 1.12 because it was the most complete.
They also said they wanted a museum piece...that indicates static game.

OP...you wanted more than what they promised.

11/04/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Xukon
No box fee

No reason to pay for a game we already own. Sure they had to put in work to make it function on current bnet but it's not a new game. I purchased it twice once back in 05 and then another in wrath when I made a second account.

Using 1.12 talents in old raids

1.12 was always going to be the patch the classic servers were going to be based on, just by merit of having a culmination of bug fixes and content. I don't know that balance is going be exactly as it was in 1.12 why don't you give some feed back instead of worthless whining.

Time gated release schedule

And it's when you get to points like this that baffle you. People kept asking for servers that went from 1.1 to 1.12 which was unrealistic. That would basically involve recreating every patch including bugs without much real benefit. This was the compromise a lot of people asked for instead of simply getting everything all at once, but there is always those guys like you who were never going to be happy with anything.

I dont want every patch recreated. I just want old raids retuned to account for 1.12 buffs. Its really pretty reasonable.
11/04/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Jihm
I dont want every patch recreated. I just want old raids retuned to account for 1.12 buffs. Its really pretty reasonable.

#nochanges
I was reading the first part trying to understand ... retailers are stores, I thought you were trying to make a point that stores didn't want a box copy of the game or something lol
11/04/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Elack
I was reading the first part trying to understand ... retailers are stores, I thought you were trying to make a point that stores didn't want a box copy of the game or something lol

For reasons I don't understand they derisively call the current version of the game "retail". Thus anyone who still plays wow but wants to play classic and isn't irrationally angry at everything is "retailer".
Yep and it sucks.

We asked for vanilla, they said it was impossible.
We asked again, they said no.
We asked again, they said we didn't know what we wanted.
We asked again, they said yes.
We waited patiently, they showed us something different.
We told them it was different, they got all defensive and doubled down on the changes.

Ion said yesterday that they do not want to mess with the 1.12 data.
You won't see any retuning of numbers.
Everything you said just said one little thing.

Money.

Think about it seriously.
Comes with other sub, why? money to make support for reg wow.
1.12... because it would take a LOT MORE work and cost a LOT more to do all the patch stuff.
Time gated... most of us asked for this.......
11/04/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Xukon
11/04/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Elack

For reasons I don't understand they derisively call the current version of the game "retail". Thus anyone who still plays wow but wants to play classic and isn't irrationally angry at everything is "retailer".

They are trying to be edgy and feeling "superior" to bfa players by calling them "retailers" as if it's an offense. This is getting old and they are starting to look like idiots throwing this word everywhere just to try and prove their point.
11/04/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Xukon

#nochanges

Agreed.

Releasing the game with MC as the entry raid but with 1.12 talents is massive change that should be removed.
its sad and its true
just try to get it as close as possible to what it should be
if its close enough ill play it
if not
of well
!@#$ activision anyway
For reasons I don't understand they derisively call the current version of the game "retail".

because if you call it "BFA" the pedantic ahole crew will come out and turn your whole argument against you and base it on you don't have to buy "BFA" to play the current game as if they found some kind of rock solid broken loophole in your argument lol
11/04/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Retlan

They are trying to be edgy and feeling "superior" to bfa players by calling them "retailers" as if it's an offense. This is getting old and they are starting to look like idiots throwing this word everywhere just to try and prove their point.

I've been calling them screechers in return, since there's never any actual discussion from them. just wordy variations of REEEEEEEEEE.