Unofficial Zandalari Warlock Discussion Megathread

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Post your game-play/lore reasons why you think Zandalari Warlocks should not have been removed, and why they should be added back.

Please keep this discussion civic, and free of other classes bashing on each other. We don't need hear how Zandalari getting Paladins for example, is a reason why us Warlocks should shut up and not ask for it. This is about the Warlock community, and those passionate enough who have mained the class for years. We are happy that Mages got to be KT, and Paladins got to be Zandalari. There is no need to drag them into this, or vice-versa.

Please also stir away from bashing Monks (as they have ZERO lore backup for being Zandalari, but we get it just let it be), or asking for a class to be removed. We don't need to have a class removed, as Alliance already have 1 extra class for their faction compared to Horde, and they can be easily given 1 more to negate the complaints for Zandalari having 10 classes (with the addition of Warlocks).

Hopefully there will be enough constructive feedback & criticism here to reach the attention of the development team, and we'll be able to change their minds.
If they want to make Zandalari more of a 'holier' version of Trolls than Darkspear - Oh sure, i guess that makes it a super easy way to make them different. Not that the slouched back is visible enough.

How about explaining their ancient alliance with Mogu, which are known for Blood and Shadowy magics?

'I'm a holy troll. So the dark magics of Mogu complete my lack of a dark side, like Negative to my Positive?'
There are Zandalari Trolls that use corruption, shadow bolt, fel immolate, drain soul, all in BfA, to say nothing of the other lore that support this.

This seems like someone added Paladins and Monks, stepped back and saw how many classes they could be, and arbitrarily removed Warlocks.

If Zandalari can learn to be monks and Orcs can learn to be mages, I don't understand why Zandalari can't be Warlocks.

Humans, gnomes, dwarves, worgen: what connection to the fel did they have before Warlocks were introduced to them? Highmountain Tauren had a lot of connection to it with the Feltotem and they can't be Warlocks, so this comes of more as a quick excuse to cover the removal of a class than something that's actually used as a basis for class design. I haven't seen that many Zandalari throwing around frozen orbs or shooting arcane missiles at me, yet they can be mages.

This is just a frustrating decision. And yes, OP we don't need other classes removed, but even if there were zero lore basis for Warlocks, there is no basis for monks either. Yet they added monks and paladins and figured they had more classes than usual allied races and decided to prune Warlocks. Maybe because they were worried of the "HORDE FAVORITISM ZANDALARI CAN BE EVERY CLASS EXCEPT DK/DH!!!!" posts that would have sprung up.

But monks weren't on the docket when we first got a glimpse of Zandalari classes back in March/April, while warlocks were, and somewhere along the line they decided to add them in and remove warlocks to keep the class count down.
11/09/2018 06:08 AMPosted by Ashfinger
Please also stir away from bashing Monks (as they have ZERO lore backup for being Zandalari, but we get it just let it be)

It's difficult for me not to touch on this point because this is objectively wrong. We ran into a ton of Zandalari back on Pandaria. Throne of Thunder was filled to the brim with them. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to be Monks.

On topic, as far as Warlocks go, hopefully they add them for you. I'm of the mindset that class and race should finally just be divorced from each other. I know it won't happen - at least partially because they'd have to create Druid, Demon Hunter, and Death Knight art for every race that doesn't already have them - but at this point, I feel like almost anything can be justified within the lore.
11/09/2018 06:33 AMPosted by Malvalen
Please also stir away from bashing Monks (as they have ZERO lore backup for being Zandalari, but we get it just let it be)

It's difficult for me not to touch on this point because this is objectively wrong. We ran into a ton of Zandalari back on Pandaria. Throne of Thunder was filled to the brim with them. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to be Monks.

On topic, as far as Warlocks go, hopefully they add them for you. I'm of the mindset that class and race should finally just be divorced from each other. I know it won't happen - at least partially because they'd have to create Druid, Demon Hunter, and Death Knight art for every race that doesn't already have them - but at this point, I feel like almost anything can be justified within the lore.

If their excuse for Zandalari Monks, despite the fact that Pandaren loath them and would never teach them, is that "some of the other races of the Horde taught them," then that same very excuse can be applied to Zandalari Warlocks "they don't have a connection to the fel, but some of their Mages/Priests/Shaman craved more power and learned the ways of the Warlock from other Warlocks within the Horde."
Remove monk and add warlock. Zandalari don't even like how monks fight.
11/09/2018 06:33 AMPosted by Malvalen

You saw Zandalari Monks in Pandaria? Cause I don't remember them, although I could be wrong. Point is, how did Zandalari learn these mistweaving techniques, et al when the Pandaren were their enemy? I could see some Pandaren being all zen and deciding to forgive them, but the fact remains they would have had to be taught.
11/09/2018 07:06 AMPosted by Melchazzar
You saw Zandalari Monks in Pandaria? Cause I don't remember them, although I could be wrong. Point is, how did Zandalari learn these mistweaving techniques, et al when the Pandaren were their enemy? I could see some Pandaren being all zen and deciding to forgive them, but the fact remains they would have had to be taught.

He is probably referring to the fact that Zandalari Trolls were present in Pandaria, not that they actually had Monks. That's his logic behind the Zandalari Monk lore I would assume.
It's funny, because when Zandalari were at first spoiled through datamining to not have paladins I was planning to roll a warlock instead...
Zandalari are the only race to be capable of being all four of the hybrid classes, is it really a huge deal that they can't be locks?

(By hybrid I mean palyou, shaman, druid and monk)
11/09/2018 07:30 AMPosted by Pronyra
Zandalari are the only race to be capable of being all four of the hybrid classes, is it really a huge deal that they can't be locks?

Yes it is a huge deal. This has nothing to do with other classes. This is about the Warlock community, not other classes, so I'm not sure how hybrid classes having the option to race change to Zandalari has anything to do with Warlocks or how it benefits the Warlock community.
is it really a huge deal that they can't be locks?

I don't think so. The Horde will have 6 locks, the Alliance will have 6 locks. If you want to be a troll Warlock, you can do that now.

This "outrage" baffles me.
11/09/2018 07:38 AMPosted by Tovi

I don't think so. The Horde will have 6 locks, the Alliance will have 6 locks. If you want to be a troll Warlock, you can do that now.

Let me "unbaffle" you then using your own words:

You go to the ice cream shop, hoping to get a raspberry (sour) flavored ice cream. The store owner tells you "We don't have that flavor, is it really a huge deal? We have 6 sour flavors, and 6 sweet flavors. Therefore, it's ok that we don't have that sour flavor that you asked for, since we have an even distribution of flavors between sour & sweet at the moment. If you want a berry, you can just order our blueberry flavor, you can do that now. Your outrage baffles me."

Once again, this has nothing to do with the availability of Warlocks for each faction, or how many other classes are available to the Zandalari. This is solely about the Warlock community and those of us who play the class extensively, and not being able to play the MAJOR race of the expansion (Horde side), after having spent the entire story-line of the continents helping them, bonding with them, only to last minute have them removed as option for us Warlocks when every other class with the exception of the hero classes get to play them regardless of lore/logic (Monks & Paladins say hi).

We wouldn't be upset if Zandalari Warlocks haven't been a class planned for the race since April and all the way up through blizzcon only to be booted last minute after the addition of monks and paladins. There is no reason for it other than trying to have some dumb balance between faction class selection.
11/09/2018 08:05 AMPosted by Ashfinger

Let me "unbaffle" you then using your own words:

You go to the ice cream shop, hoping to get a raspberry (sour) flavored ice cream. The store owner tells you "We don't have that flavor, is it really a huge deal? We have 6 sour flavors, and 6 sweet flavors. Therefore, it's ok that we don't have that sour flavor that you asked for, since we have an even distribution of flavors between sour & sweet at the moment. If you want a berry, you can just order our blueberry flavor, you can do that now. Your outrage baffles me."

Once again, this has nothing to do with the availability of Warlocks for each faction, or how many other classes are available to the Zandalari. This is solely about the Warlock community and those of us who play the class extensively, and not being able to play the MAJOR race of the expansion (Horde side), after having spent the entire story-line of the continents helping them, bonding with them, only to last minute have them removed as option for us Warlocks when every other class with the exception of the hero classes get to play them regardless of lore/logic (Monks & Paladins say hi).

It's more like the ice cream shop advertising the flavor you like, and when you go get it, they say "we actually just got rid of that flavor to make room for these other two flavors, our advertisement was wrong."

You do know that Tauren exist right?

That being said, I'm all for more class-race combos all around, and they do make sense, but they are certainly one of the least fitting classes for their culture. If it was up to me to decide their classes, I probably would have also excluded monk and rogue. I'd prefer that Blizzard make class-race combos more available over all, but if they're going to stick with the "what fits best" route instead of the "what is possible at all" route, warlock might not be the best fit for Zandalari.
Guys guys guys. Youre doing this all wrong. You need to talk in dollar signs not with logic. Making sense that zandalari trolls fit into the lore is just nonsensical! (sarcasm)

BLIZZARD. PAY ATTENTION SILLY GOOSE. WARLOCKS WILL PAY MONEY TO BECOME ZANDALARI TROLLS. JUST DO IT.
Warlocks are not a class based on fel. They have a few fel spells and summon demons.

Overall they use fire and shadow spells. Clearing up the misconception.
11/09/2018 09:24 AMPosted by Requan
Guys guys guys. Youre doing this all wrong. You need to talk in dollar signs not with logic. Making sense that zandalari trolls fit into the lore is just nonsensical! (sarcasm)

BLIZZARD. PAY ATTENTION SILLY GOOSE. WARLOCKS WILL PAY MONEY TO BECOME ZANDALARI TROLLS. JUST DO IT.

I'm actually amazed they wouldn't go this route, given how much money they would make from race changes from the overwhelming number of Warlocks who'd want to play a Zandalari.
If Blizzard had never made any showing that the Zandalari could be Warlocks, I’d be disappointed, but I wouldn’t be angry.

But this wasn’t the case.
Several times now, from their own material, Warlock was displayed as a class the Zandalari could be. To have that be removed for a practically non-existent reason is frustrating to say the least.

Zandalari Warlocks were advertised by Blizzard as something their paying players could enjoy.

I feel the outrage over this sudden reversal is absolutely valid.