Sylvanas ordered Wrathgate to happen?

Story Forum
1 2 3 9 Next
"I've heard these discussions on the internet about 'she's going off the rails', but is she? I've been writing Sylvanas personally since 2006, and this is pretty much - the Wrathgate and the Blight and the Forsaken - in character. Those were all under Sylvanas' orders."

Via Alex Afrasiabi in a recent interview.... He pretty much just comes out and says Sylvanas ordered the Wrathgate. Did he just, not know the lore behind it or did we reveal this in a weird way?
Good question. Wrathgate was supposedly a group of Forsaken working for Varimathras and going against her orders.

Now she's the one that ordered it?
last i heard was back in chronicles where sylvanas ordered the creation of the plague
11/09/2018 11:46 AMPosted by Withpuppys
last i heard was back in chronicles where sylvanas ordered the creation of the plague

Sure but the Wrathgate was an event in which the plague was unleashed on Horde and Alliance troops as much as it was on the Scourge.
Sylvanas ordered a Coup against herself?

I mean i guess i could see her manipulating it to remove political rivals, but she would have known the forsaken would have been censored, and her ordering revolt against me is just kinda stupid.
11/09/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Baljin
"I've heard these discussions on the internet about 'she's going off the rails', but is she? I've been writing Sylvanas personally since 2006, and this is pretty much - the Wrathgate and the Blight and the Forsaken - in character. Those were all under Sylvanas' orders."

Via Alex Afrasiabi in a recent interview.... He pretty much just comes out and says Sylvanas ordered the Wrathgate. Did he just, not know the lore behind it or did we reveal this in a weird way?
Called it.
I thought Kosak was writing Sylvanas until he left, and that was what everyone was complaining about?
Wrathgate itself was Varimathras and Putress...but Sylvanas was already planning "something like it". Wrathgate was just sooner than she'd intended.
The Wrathgate event (and subsequent Battle for the Undercity) definitely did not portray it as something Sylvanas ordered. If it was always the case that she ordered it, then it was either a dropped plot point or they failed massively in the portrayal. Other options include this being a retcon, or maybe Afrasiabi just meant that she ordered the creation of the blight.
Great, now I cant even defend her for that turn. May as well just sign her villain card and get the boss ready. This kind of bs annoys me because i enjoyed sylvanas up to her suicide at ice crown. This just proves shes been an idiot and more over careless in everything she does.

I rather she be gone already. Any sympathy I had for her in warcraft 3 to wrath has all but evaporated.
He could just mean the devastation that the Blight at Wrath Gate caused. Melting of faces, devastation to the land, demoralisation, etc. The special note about the Blight was always that it worked on both the living and undead- why do that if your main focus was always defeating the Lich King? The Blight used at Wrath Gate is the full version, which we don't get to see much of.

But the Putress betrayal can't have been a plan of hers- it did nothing but hurt the Forsaken. They lost the Undercity to the Legion, would've lost soldiers in the process, undermined the effort to kill Arthas the one thing Sylvanas really cared about, and threw the Forsaken into the dog house. It did nothing but harm the Forsaken.
11/09/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Balloonfish
The Wrathgate event (and subsequent Battle for the Undercity) definitely did not portray it as something Sylvanas ordered. If it was always the case that she ordered it, then it was either a dropped plot point or they failed massively in the portrayal. Other options include this being a retcon, or maybe Afrasiabi just meant that she ordered the creation of the blight.
You need to embrace post-Chronicles/BFA writing. The Horde were always evil, the Alliance were always pure and perfect in every way. If there was ever a time when the Alliance was bad like say...Proudmoore, it's actively being whitewashed and re-framed to make the Horde evil monsters there too.

I'm more excited than ever to see them wreck WC3 with their new garbage writers! They put Golden in charge of going nuts with retconning it so the lore "matches" modern WOW lore.
Afrasiabi just forgot the lore again nothing new he flubs it constantly. Remember when he thought Falstad was dead?
11/09/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Bronnix
Afrasiabi just forgot the lore again nothing new he flubs it constantly. Remember when he thought Falstad was dead?

Yeah what's up with that Alex?

Though you are right, this could easily just be Alex remembering it. He might just, at the moment, recalled Forsaken blighting Wrath Gate and forgot the context around it.

I mean, kinda stupid to make the claim regardless, but he has forgotten things in the past.
Sounds legit. They only started firing when Arthas showed up. And Sylv is full of stupid plans.

I'm begininng to wonder if they play thier own game.

Though Diablo Mobile and All Abilities on the global cooldown were origanly april fool jokes...
11/09/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Ximothy
but he has forgotten things in the past.

Dont forget the drunk tweets. A few beers and you could probably get him to say Arthas' father was Sargeras.
11/09/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Reallyhappy
Sylvanas ordered a Coup against herself?

I mean i guess i could see her manipulating it to remove political rivals, but she would have known the forsaken would have been censored, and her ordering revolt against me is just kinda stupid.
It's not that she ordered them to attack during the Wrathgate. It's that she came up with the plan to kill the Horde with Blight.

Refer back to the vanilla Forsaken intro.
Irony.

That wasn't Afrasiabi.
11/09/2018 12:17 PMPosted by Bronnix
11/09/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Ximothy
but he has forgotten things in the past.

Dont forget the drunk tweets. A few beers and you could probably get him to say Artha's father was Sargeras.
This is what we call ad hominem.
Sylvanas' denial has always been suspect. It's always been obvious that the Horde are fair-weather friends and no more. She has no qualms killing her teammates.

She was just mad they jumped the gun. After all... She's the one who told them to make it, and there's old excerpts from the Rise of the Lich King book showing she was exceptionally pleased with what her plague was capable of.
rony.

That wasn't Afrasiabi.

Yes it was he was on the panel they all thought he was dead.