Sylvanas ordered Wrathgate to happen?

Story Forum
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
11/10/2018 09:49 PMPosted by Mustakraken
I know this is making a ton of male human paladins ecstatic because they think this justifies their unsatisfied rage-!@#$% for Sylvanas, but none of this is new information.
I don't think it is. If you like Sylvanas, this is just another contributor that fits in with the same reasons you'd already like her. Not to mention the pre-Wrath and post-Wrath Sylvanases were two grossly different characters, and ordering this would fall in line with pre-Wrath's motivations.

This isn't an "AHA, we got her!" moment, or any kinda win. It's basically the same as her turning the Blight on the soldiers outside of Lordaeron. It just makes sense.
Probably a poor choice of words.

Sylvanas ordered the Blight to be developed for use -- she may have even ordered to have the cliff aligned with blight canisters as a back up in case the Horde and Alliance soldiers were out-numbered.

It was Puttress who decided to use it against the Horde and Alliance though.

With that said, I'm not one to usually defend Blizzard's crappy lore keeping.
Um...
Has this "interview" been verified via anything but Eurogamer? Has footage appeared anywhere? Has anyone else corroborated the account?

I mean, it's telling that Blizz' credibility is low enough that we could accept this uncritically, but... it's got some holes.
People should really take into considering that a guy may have just forgot some info or remembered it incorrectly. Though either way it shows that the people in charge really can't keep anything straight anymore.
Is it possible that Sylvanas ordered the events of the Wrathgate, and threw Varimathras and Putris under the bus for it? I mean, would anyone believe the Dreadlord over her?
Just a reminder that interview canon is best canon.
11/12/2018 09:54 AMPosted by Akiyass
Is it possible that Sylvanas ordered the events of the Wrathgate, and threw Varimathras and Putris under the bus for it?

That exactly what Alex is saying happened.

Sylvanas orders Putress and the Forsaken to deploy the blight during this battle against Lich King. At this point Sylvanas primary goal was to kill the Lich King at any cost, even if that meant killing the Horde(to include Forsaken), Alliance, and Scourge to do so.

Putress and Varimathras decides to deploy the blight and betray Sylvanas. Sylvanas meets with Thrall, Jaina, and other leaders of the Horde and tell them that it was all their fault, so she manages to out smart the Burning Legion, Alliance and Horde.

Fast forward several years later Sylvanas leads the Horde in wreaking Burning Legion to include a nice little nod to Sylvanas from Varimathras, Sylvanas is the Warchief of the Horde, and the Alliance has been reduced to recruiting farmers.

My SF friends, this is indeed the story we're being told.
Fast forward several years later Sylvanas leads the Horde in wreaking Burning Legion to include a nice little nod to Sylvanas from Varimathras, Sylvanas is the Warchief of the Horde, and the Alliance has been reduced to recruiting farmers.
You almost made a whole post without being a Male Human Paladin.
11/12/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Grandblade
You almost made a whole post without being a Male Human Paladin.

I appreciate you at trying to be witty, and tbh I like the meat raisin quip more than this pally thing you're going with, but can you blame me for that remark? I didn't infer it without a strong reference.
11/12/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Deathisfinal
I appreciate you at trying to be witty, and tbh I like the meat raisin quip more than this pally thing you're going with, but can you blame me for that remark? I didn't infer it without a strong reference.
It applies because it's the kind of tasteless quip a Male Human Paladin would commonly make about the opposite faction. The Alliance is not solely reduced to just recruiting farmers, there's a good deal more nuance than that.

Hell... you're basically the Horde equivalent of Zerde at this point.
I have my own issues with the BfA story (As I do with the entire WoW story as a whole) But I don't think the choices they are making with Sylvanas is necessarily the bad part of it. If anything it is more consistent.

Sylvanas creates the Blight and tests it on living subjects in Vanillia. In Ghostlands, some Blood Elves are suspicious that the Forsaken are taking Blood Elf Ranger corpses to raise them as Dark Rangers. WotLK, the events of the Wrathgate happen, which Sylvanas stages on Varimathras, who had no true loyalties to her anyway. Cata rolls around and suddenly their are a lot more Dark Rangers around, which might be evidence to the claims made in the Ghostlands during BfA. She also used chemical weapons on civilian populations pretty commonly during this time. MoP and WoD, Sylvanas kinda takes a back seat role in the story, but she does taunt Lor'themar about raising fallen Sin'dorei during SoO. This brings us to Legion where she is elevated to the role of Warcheif by questionable means (Loa spirit that may not actually be Loa. Or maybe a Loa with nefarious goals). Then she attempts to enslave an entire race of Angelic beings, who were aiding us defend our world from a world-ending demonic force. Which brings us to BfA…

… I am not sure why anyone was surprised that Sylvanas did what she did. I can understand the complaints regarding how the story was executed and portrayed. But Horde players have had years to come to terms with Sylvanas being a very real problem for the future. I can understand not wanting to be the "bad guys" but Sylvanas has been that massive red flag since the Game's launch.

When it comes to this story, it does feel a bit like they are retconning the events of the Wrathgate. I can see how that might be annoying, but at least its a retcon that makes sense, and it doesn't really change anything. The frustrating thing about it, to me, is the retcon seems to be entirely unnecessary, but that also makes me feel very indifferent about the change.
11/12/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Grandblade
Hell... you're basically the Horde equivalent of Zerde at this point.

I really appreciate and respect Zerde, he really focuses on the positive and the things he likes unlike the posters that mainly post negative crap. Can't say I've ever seen Zerde criticize his favorites tho were as I've laid into my favorites several times. No offense to Zerde, to be compared so someone like him is ok.

At the end of the day if you don't like what I post the ignore button is there waiting for you.

11/12/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Grandblade
The Alliance is not solely reduced to just recruiting farmers, there's a good deal more nuance than that.

I suppose I can look at it from a non literal perspective, because Genn definitely didn't say that for nothing.
I still think my favorite "addition" to Sylvanas lore this expansion has been her powersliding into the pointy end of a longsword with her bare midriff.
11/12/2018 12:48 PMPosted by Éamon
I still think my favorite "addition" to Sylvanas lore this expansion has been her powersliding into the pointy end of a longsword with her bare midriff.

She did say she remembered she was a fool, talk about foolish lmao!
I look forward to that being retconned into WC3: Rebastard
11/12/2018 12:55 PMPosted by Hahahahahaha
I look forward to that being retconned into WC3: Rebastard

Hmm, making her look like an idiot was a good idea bob, and I appreciate making her a moronic traitor to herself... but I think we can do better.

ARTHAS! The gate is open come on in, love your new sword.
*stab*
Oh no your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

"I was a fool. I thought I had my Anti-Legion/Undeath belly ring on."
Misinformined comments on WoW lore by Blizzard writers, of all people, causes super bad arguments. :(
11/12/2018 04:08 PMPosted by Zua
Misinformined comments on WoW lore by Blizzard writers, of all people, causes super bad arguments. :(

Thing is, I believe normally something like this would be dismissed as a mis-statement right away, but they have recently expended considerable effort towards making Sylvanas appear to be evil incarnate. What was once laughably unthinkable is now worryingly within recent actions by the writing staff.
11/09/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Baljin
"I've heard these discussions on the internet about 'she's going off the rails', but is she? I've been writing Sylvanas personally since 2006, and this is pretty much - the Wrathgate and the Blight and the Forsaken - in character. Those were all under Sylvanas' orders."

Via Alex Afrasiabi in a recent interview.... He pretty much just comes out and says Sylvanas ordered the Wrathgate. Did he just, not know the lore behind it or did we reveal this in a weird way?

Did it ever occur to you or anyone that what he meant by this was that She sent Putress to deploy the plague on Arthas and only Arthas and Putress saw this as the best opportunity to kill the Alliance/Horde/Scourge Leadership all at once so he revealed himself.

I can't believe that me of all people seems to be the only one who interpretted it this way.