My take on the allied races.

General Discussion
Hi, I've seen a lot of discussion about allied races, so I thought that I'd give my opinion on the subject.

Firstly, let's go back to Cataclysm. Imagine if I had bought the game, and naturally I shop around, you know, looking at my options, and just generally trying to get into the fantasy of each race, seeing what clicks. As a human being, I don't really have a choice as to what my preferences are. So, imagine then that I decide I love the fantasy and look of the Goblin. But, oh no, you can't play as a goblin... unless you have a cap level character and exalted with Steamwheedle Cartel. Oops.

The defense of the current implementation of allied races tends to center around the notion that it's an addon, an afterthought, a cool addition, something that everyone wants, but isn't necessary. That is simply false.

A player's entire fantasy of their character is built around what race they are, period. When a player is allowed to look at the allied races and not play as one, it shatters the entire fantasy the player tentatively creates about what the character could be. they are suddenly forced to settle for second best.

And you could say to me, what about race/class restrictions? I think it's very likely people are focused on the fantasy of either race, or class, but really not both. They either pick their race and then pick their class, or pick their class and then pick their race. Besides, the Fantasy of being a druid is partially related to why any given race can be a Druid anyway. With that being said, in the future, I'd like their to be Orc Paladins and some explanation for why that's possible.

And if you wanna talk about DKs or DHs being restricted, firstly, the requirements for those two are much less strenuous, and secondly, since Blizzard hands out level 110 boosts, moot anyway.

Anyway, to unlock the allied race, I have to put in a pretty arduous amount of work, as a race I was lukewarm about. And what's the fantasy of that, anyway? I'm born a Troll, just so I can do all this stuff, recruit the Nightborne into the Horde, and then drop dead so I can be reincarnated as a Nightborne?

With any other appearance oriented thing, like mogs or mounts, it makes sense. I have to go to The Firelands and pry the armor off of one of those Druids if I want to look like one, that's pretty reasonable. With the allied races, I have to play as a race I'm indifferent towards just so I can play a race I like, starting from scratch no less.

And that's not even talking about really good raiders or PVP people, what about them? If the Nightborne racial is really OP, I'm either at a constant disadvantage, or I have do an extreme amount of work that has nothing to do with current content or PVP, just so I can either roll a whole new character or pay for a race change.

In closing, I'd like to say that It's like Classic Naxxramas. There are TONS of players who will just never even have the pleasure, much less option, to play as an allied race. And I don't think that makes any sense, given that what race you play has a profound impact on your fantasy of the game world.
This might be better suited for General Discussion rather than the CS forums.
11/09/2018 02:25 PMPosted by Ogbunabali

I wasn't really sure. Thank you for your input though, I figured it might fit in here, given that it's sort of meta, and is about customer satisfaction. I've also posted it in general discussion.

on closer examination, I'm almost certain it fits in here. It's strictly about customer satisfaction.
11/09/2018 02:47 PMPosted by Shalidor

on closer examination, I'm almost certain it fits in here. It's strictly about customer satisfaction.

Customer Support isn't about getting large-scale design issues resolved, but about getting specific problems that a player is actively having resolved, like they're having problems with logging in and can't figure out how to fix them, or they get lost on a quest chain. As well, the devs don't come here for Feedback. That's why General is best.
11/09/2018 02:47 PMPosted by Shalidor

That still isn't the purpose of this forum. This is for say account issues (billing), policy questions (I was banned for X, how do I get help), finding where to go for assistance (tech support).

You can't make a ticket to speak to a GM and go "So why is this like this? I'm not happy." They will just close the ticket and tell you to post on the forums that fits the issue. You want general for yours.
This forum is definitely not the right one unfortunately. The CS forums are not visited by the development team for feedback or suggestions.

The General Discussion forums or perhaps the PTR forums would be better suited.

This forum is for Customer Support questions and is primarily for players to help other players.
11/09/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Perl
This forum is definitely not the right one unfortunately. The CS forums are not visited by the development team for feedback or suggestions.

The General Discussion forums or perhaps the PTR forums would be better suited.

This forum is for Customer Support questions and is primarily for players to help other players.

Ah I see, thanks folks, you know, that's pretty interesting, considering it's literally called "customer satisfaction" and not "technical problems." But I guess if I wanted to start a thread about renaming this board, I guess I'd have to start it in General, Wouldn't I?
The purpose of the Customer Support forum can be found in the very first thread at the top of the forum:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/932934075

This is a player-to-player help desk with some Blizzard oversight and moderation. For game suggestions, you'd want to utilize the in-game suggestion tool, or the forum that is appropriate for the suggestion.

Lacking any dedicated forum for Allied Races, the General Discussion forum would be best. The Community Managers do not come to CS to review it for suggestions, and Customer Support has no input in making game play changes.
11/09/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Terise
The purpose of the Customer Support forum can be found in the very first thread at the top of the forum:

This is a player-to-player help desk with some Blizzard oversight and moderation. For game suggestions, you'd want to utilize the in-game suggestion tool, or the forum that is appropriate for the suggestion.

Lacking any dedicated forum for Allied Races, the General Discussion forum would be best. The Community Managers do not come to CS to review it for suggestions, and Customer Support has no input in making game play changes.

I see, thank you, assuming my purpose here was to get the name of this forum changed, for example, where would I post about such a thing? Considering General is really more about an in-game, you know, lore discussion or gameplay type place, under what auspice could I make such a suggestion, if I had one?
11/09/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Terise

You know what, I need to clarify, I don't actually have such a suggestion. I thought it was an interesting question and so I thought I would pose it. I'm sorry...
Anything regarding Allied Races, which would be an in-game concern, would be best posted in General Discussion. Alternatively, you can post to @WarcraftDevs on Twitter.

None of the Support forums are for lore questions, development questions, things in development, or anything other than:

• Account Security and Compromise Recovery
  • Account and Character Services (like Race Changes, Faction Changes, etc.)
  • Customer Support Interactions
  • Notable Customer Support Policy Changes
  • Technical Support with installation, launching, connectivity, and related issues (in the Technical Support forum)

While I can understand your feelings that this would be a Customer Support related concern, what you're asking or suggesting is more of a developmental concern. Thus, this thread would get the best exposure in the proper forum. The proper forum being General Discussion.
hi all so i have two accounts and for some reason only this account doesn't work for the PTR... my other account works perfectly find but this one just automatically crashs, saying "you have been disconnected" also i tried repairing the situation on my own but nothing worked :/ help please
11/11/2018 02:15 PMPosted by Supakaka
hi all so i have two accounts and for some reason only this account doesn't work for the PTR... my other account works perfectly find but this one just automatically crashs, saying "you have been disconnected" also i tried repairing the situation on my own but nothing worked :/ help please

You need to start your own thread I. The future.

Each account needs to be registered for the PTR. You can do this in your account management. There is a great support article if you Google how to make a PTR account. I just don't have it handy and am on my phone atm.

You'd need to post in the PTR forums. The CS forums are for the Live version of the game.

Also, be sure to start a new post. This one that you added to has nothing to do with the PTR ;)

This has nothing to do with this thread. Please don't hijack someone else's topic. You'll want to post int he PTR forums for PTR questions and issues