The "Masterplan" For Sylvanas (Interview)

Tides of Vengeance PTR General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-11-08-world-of-warcraft-and-the-masterplan-for-sylvanas

Well I guess I can give up hope for the story being repaired in my eyes.

Seems the story will continue to be written purely for the enjoyment of Sylvanas fans, while everyone else gets the trollface.jpg and has to just suck it up.

Almost a confirmed Kerrigan 2.0 at this point, she's going to get away with EVERYTHING, not only that but that line about there being a "right & wrong choice" implies the people standing against her are going to face some sort of consequences.

I just find the line about her not being killed off as a raid boss, because of being a "fan favourite" to be rather silly, when many fan favourite characters are killed off as raid bosses all the time.

To quote a poster from another forum

So Sylvanas can't become a raid boss because she is just too popular, but the character with the biggest fanbase in the entire franchise, Arthas Menethil, is killed off in the second expansion of the game?

Can this character's plot armour get even thicker?

Thoughts about this interview?

I was taken aback a bit by the "the wrathgate was under sylvanas' orders" comment, wondering if he misspoke here or if there's a retcon going on.
Kerrigan/AU Grom 2.0 doesn't surprise me at all.
11/09/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Berronax
I was taken aback a bit by the "the wrathgate was under sylvanas' orders" comment, wondering if he misspoke here or if there's a retcon going on.

I assume he forgot. If not, the only way it makes sense is if Sylvanas stationed the RAS at the Wrathgate without knowing they were traitors. She could've planned to use the Blight if the Horde and Alliance lost. Varimathras and Putress could've subverted her orders.

Still doesn't make much sense though. Wrathgate was a surprise to everyone last I checked.
this just sounds like she's gonna die but not in a raid
So you're mad that it's NOT Garrosh 2.0?
Meh, I'll take Kerrigan over Garrosh any day. They are both bad and to this day I don't think they are the only directions her character can or should go, but if I had to choose, I would avoid the Garrosh rehash because i hated that more.

Regarding Wrathgate, I think he either misspoke or was referring to the creation of blight. The Undead race page and Cata intro make it clear that Sylvanas and the Forsaken were "wrongly blamed for Putress sins".
Seems the story will continue to be written purely for the enjoyment of Sylvanas fans

If anything, Sylvanas fans seem the most upset right now.

(except for maybe night elf fans)
11/09/2018 04:19 PMPosted by Qualía

Kinda, yeah. Literal genocide happened onscreen and the perpetrator will walk away with no consequences. Horde characters have been turned into mindless, spineless wimps that won't stand up to her, invalidating their development in MoP. The Alliance can't defeat the Horde and now there's no chance we'll even get to kill the person responsible for Teldrassil. Faction war is pretty much total crap for anyone that isn't an extreme Sylvanas fan.
11/09/2018 04:35 PMPosted by Ershan

Kinda, yeah. Literal genocide happened onscreen and the perpetrator will walk away with no consequences. Horde characters have been turned into mindless, spineless wimps that won't stand up to her, invalidating their development in MoP. The Alliance can't defeat the Horde and now there's no chance we'll even get to kill the person responsible for Teldrassil. Faction war is pretty much total crap for anyone that isn't an extreme Sylvanas fan.

I'll let you guys kill her if we can kill Anduin.

Oh and Jaina.
11/09/2018 04:49 PMPosted by Qualía

I'm pretty sure a lot of Alliance fans would cheer for that.
Oh and Jaina.

Not happening. Plot armor is too strong on that one as well.

Why would I stand up against her when I agree with her actions?
11/09/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Artanu

Burning Teldrassil was not just bad morally but counterproductive practically, no matter how much she tries to justify it
11/09/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Ugom
11/09/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Artanu

Burning Teldrassil was not just bad morally but counterproductive practically, no matter how much she tries to justify it

What if it was so she could "kill hope" so when she raised dead night elves they joined her more easily? She's just trying to stock up on dark rangers for the next expansion. They'll be playable I know it. I don't want another UD or elf only hero class. I want her to suffer for committing genocide but I bet she becomes neutral and offers dark rangers to both factions to fight N'zoth.
11/09/2018 07:12 PMPosted by Abunian
11/09/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Ugom

What if it was so she could "kill hope" so when she raised dead night elves they joined her more easily? She's just trying to stock up on dark rangers for the next expansion. They'll be playable I know it. I don't want another UD or elf only hero class. I want her to suffer for committing genocide but I bet she becomes neutral and offers dark rangers to both factions to fight N'zoth.

It would mean that her plan was to get the Horde into a knowingly unwinnable war with the only thing saving her being some 4rth wall breaking knowledge that the Devs would keep her alive. That's still counter productive to practicality.
It confirms to me that Sylvanas is a """special""" character in the creators eyes. At this point I don't even care. I used to want her dead, now I just want her gone. Lets get it over with, so we can pick up the pieces of the Horde dragged through the mud in this contrived plot. It's there, it sucks, I just want to move on from it like we moved on from Warlords.

Oh and Jaina.

Deal, I have hated Jaina since Vanilla.

OT though... this is just depressing. I don't know why I keep hoping the WoW storyline will get better.
It should be pointed out that he says shes "a bit more than a raid boss"
You know who else was a bit more than a raid boss? Garrosh. In that he survived the raid to usher in the next expansion and then was killed off. We may be looking at another Kerrigan but she's not safe yet.
Seems the story will continue to be written purely for the enjoyment of Sylvanas fans, while everyone else gets the trollface.jpg and has to just suck it up.
If the story is written exclusively for the enjoyment of Sylvanas fans, why do most of us hate it so much?

Killing her off wouldn't necessarily make her a Garrosh 2.0 though..

But no, I'm not actually mad.. just.. disappointed.

If she actually gets the Kerrigan treatment it will actually be WORSE than the original Kerrigan, because the original Kerrigan at least showed a slither of remorse for her actions.

11/09/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Samariyu
If the story is written exclusively for the enjoyment of Sylvanas fans, why do most of us hate it so much?

Well.. good point.

Maybe I should rephrase it to the "nu-Sylvanas Fans" since her OG fans such as you despise this story, but the people shouting "yaas queen" all over the place and laughing at the genocide and cremated children seem to be loving it.

Oh and Jaina.

While I don't care for Anduin or Jaina, this is a dumb request if only because we want Sylvanas dead for being a genocidal maniac who has committed mass murder multiple times, among other atrocities. Name one evil thing Anduin has done to deserve to die like Sylvanas?

Don't get me wrong, I dislike his holier than thou persona, but to want Anduin dead just because Sylvanas needs to die is just silly he doesn't deserve it like she does.