Casual gamer with cancer - Addon help for viewing better at a distance.

General Discussion
I'm not really a poster as you see but could use a bit of help. I've seen other postings through the years of folks going through cancer treatments and am hoping I will receive a good/positive response as well.

I am currently in my second reoccurrence of female gynecological cancer that I will not get into because there maybe children present and I do not want to cause issues/questions. I am going to be having surgery which will lay me up for possibly many months first time was just under a year and last time a few months. This time is a bit more extensive then last so I'm "preparing" for the worst and hoping for the best.

The whole point of this posting is I will be basically living in a recliner on my back. My husband just purchased me a cordless keyboard and mouse so that I can play the game on our tv and wont need to have a heavy laptop on top of me like the last couple times.

While this is WONDERFUL I'm older (52) and have issues seeing things at a distance. lol My daughter helped me find the chinchilla mini map addon so I can now enlarge the mini map and see nodes. ( I farm a lot) but its hard to see the actual herbs. The sea stalk are okay but the siren one in the trees not so good.

I'm not really sure what if any add on will help with this issue. I've made myself a mission to earn enough gold to purchase that new mount that has the auction house on it for my Mom for Xmas. (yes my mom is in her 70's and still plays wow lol). I have managed to earn about 600,000 so far just farming my herbs the last few weeks. So I'm intending on still farming them if at all possible.

Any suggestions on add-ons would greatly help. I've been playing around with video settings on my computer and also the tv trying to see if I can enlarge things but not really having much luck with it.

Also, I do not really ever group and do dungeons anymore and it will be especially hard after surgery because of the angle I'm at while playing.

I've been doing a lot of reading about that 2x4 farming groups. I don't have great gear just the warfront stuff I'm at like 340 level in my gear I've been thinking about trying to join in on a few of those. Would I be geared enough, and if I'm not at the top of my game would that still be okay or do you guys think people will give me a lot of grief that I'm not pulling my weight in those?

Still have a couple weeks before surgery so just trying to get as prepared as possible before hand. Thanks for any info you can provide! :)
I don't have a lot of information on add-ons, but I can tell you that as far as Warfronts go, people tend to be very much into what they're doing, and I've not seen many people giving others a hard time over 'not pulling their weight'.

I'm sure you'll be fine in Warfronts.

I'll keep my eye open for addons that help with Herbs.

Good luck to you, and a speedy recovery.
A long while ago there were a few resources linked for players with disabilities every so often, I would assume sight would be one of those things covered but I don't know how to go about tracking them down I'm afraid...

Might check in with other sections of the forum for technical ideas as well though.

Good luck with your surgery and wishing you a speedy recovery as well as better help than what I have offered to help you keep playing.
You know a better solution might be to get one of those Bedside tables that medical places have that can support it's on weight, is adjustable and hovers over your lap. that will give you a place to put your keyboard and mouse and then get an adjustable monitor arm then just mount your normal monitor onto it so you can move the screen at a comfortable angle while laying back in your chair.
In warfronts I often end up gathering resources and help build the buildings, I kind of watch chat or for pings on the mini map and go where the others are, so it helps.
My pc is kinda craptastic right now for bfa, so I get a really low frame rate.
My suggestion to you is if your pc can handle it turn the graphic settings under texture resolution as high as you can it will make the nodes sparkle and easier to see that way. Also turning up the lighting quality may help
I don't know of any addon.
As a woman of the same age, I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. I wish you a safe and speedy recovery.
The problem with the side table is with a recliner you cant really slide anything under it because of the metal frame. We exhausted looking for something that way the last two surgeries. I do have a lap/breakfast type of tray that fits in my lap and I can lean it back depending how far back I'm laying and it works pretty good.

The laptop would get so hot though and it was heavy. And when I'm not playing having to move it off my lap it a chore. The keyboard and mouse he got me is great because they are very light weight. But to see the tv screen a few feet in front of me isn't fantastic.

I can see my character fine to move around. I cant read my text at all but I know I can enlarge that. I need more sparkle or shine on the nodes though especially in the trees. I did take some outline off or something to that effect a while ago that made them better in my game but on the tv screen they don't look the same.

Thanks everyone for the help and well wishes. I've tried just upping the resolution all the way up to like 800x600 which makes everything huge but then its to hard to see where I'm going. lol Its H*** getting old! lol.
Have you tried lowering your Display Resolution? I can't confirm this to work as I'm not at home right now.
There's a couple options. If you want to stick mostly with the default UI, there's a mod called MoveAnything that lets you move and resize the UI.

https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/move-anything

You could also check out an addon suite such as ElvUI that allows resizing all the components.

https://www.tukui.org/download.php?ui=elvui
if it were me i would look into a wall mounted swing arm for the monitor. i wish you a speedy recovery.
11/13/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Bitsey
The problem with the side table is with a recliner you cant really slide anything under it because of the metal frame. We exhausted looking for something that way the last two surgeries. I do have a lap/breakfast type of tray that fits in my lap and I can lean it back depending how far back I'm laying and it works pretty good.

Look for a hospital bedside table. The table part can rotate so that the base can be parallel to the chair instead of needing to roll underneath. There are also some with slim bases designed to slide under lift chairs, though those can be more expensive.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Drive-Left-Side-Seat-Lift-Chair-Overbed-Table-13085ln/205517600
How about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Loctek-Monitor-Mounts-Support-Computer/dp/B00ST052XS/ref=asc_df_B00ST052XS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=228860412633&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15891582147057491299&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011972&hvtargid=pla-380562145436&psc=1

Sorry for the link, but it’s a monitor-holder. Like those TV holders that allow the TV to swing away from the wall.

Maybe you could mount a monitor in a position close to your recliner?
I just wanted to say that I hope that all goes well with your surgery and that you recover quickly. (mid-40s female here, getting older indeed is a bit rough).

Oh and that it's so awesome that your Mom plays WoW as well!! <3
I don’t have any addon advice but I wanted to wish you good luck.

I partially know what you’re going through.
11/13/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Zeropointt
How about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Loctek-Monitor-Mounts-Support-Computer/dp/B00ST052XS/ref=asc_df_B00ST052XS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=228860412633&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15891582147057491299&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011972&hvtargid=pla-380562145436&psc=1

Sorry for the link, but it’s a monitor-holder. Like those TV holders that allow the TV to swing away from the wall.

Maybe you could mount a monitor in a position close to your recliner?

When linking Amazon, all you need is amazon.com/dp/<PRODUCT ID>
You can get rid of all the other junk.

amazon.com/dp/B00ST052XS

Also, I have that monitor arm, but the version with the USB hub. I'm happy with it.
thanks again everyone going to go check out those UI mods. I've thought about wall mounted monitors etc. The problem really is room. The recliner we are putting in our bedroom because we have our grandkids living with us and will need the quiet and privacy right after. So we will be wall to wall furniture.

I thought about moving my whole computer to the side of the chair because I really would like to use my desktop over my laptop because my laptop isn't really a gaming computer.

But because of space it would really be a pain. So my husband thought about going cordless with the keyboard and mouse so the computer could remain on my desk and we have a rather large tv in the room to thought wouldn't be an issue.

The problem with getting a mount for the monitor is having to have the monitor hooked to the tower and still having it reach near the recliner. My options really are to figure something so I can see better on the tv. Or just use my laptop again.

I'm going to check out those ui mods though that Stupandas posted. Thanks for all the well wishes and suggestions.
What about an arm for the TV? I’m not sure how big your TV is or how it’s set up in the room, but there are arms designed for institutional use that can hold a lot of weight and fold back nearly flush with the wall after use.

Hope you get it worked out and good luck! :)
Would something like this work? It would have to be off to the side, or at your feet.

https://www.displays2go.com/P-12787/Monitor-Stand-with-5-Locking-Wheels?utm_source=google.pla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYv6EmolXcVTzy5meIPvq5l-s4jPzjCMJECVtg5kXrTLo9I1XkAGdNPxoC8vsQAvD_BwE

Or go really big with one like this
https://www.displays2go.com/P-21435/Flat-Panel-Stand-for-37-60-Monitors-with-Heavy-Duty-Construction?utm_source=google.pla&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYvyaxnTv93EVCyrrfloCc3MRbntvqt2GvJdkxtZAvSzF8c1lnG2d-ghoCoCYQAvD_BwE

This is expensive, but being able to attach to a wall or ceiling could allow you to position the display very close.
https://www.computerdesksdepot.com/collections/lcd-monitor-mounts/products/dw630w-63-hospital-lcd-tv-monitor-arm-over-the-bed-arm-wall-mount?gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYvwq8I5UY3dbnU6efTXWJpcknt54he3CApRXfOiDRdN3M6_g1s_JC7hoCAUAQAvD_BwE

Best wishes to you, enjoy your time in wow and hope you have a speedy recovery.
comfortable glasses and a bigger screen would be a good start i guess.

i don't see many free options.
AddOns cannot modify the outline of those nodes.

While it is a lot of work, I strongly recommend customizing your UI. (Or find a setup that uses the mini map on the middle)