Surprise: If you want to play Nightborne, play Legion first

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I really wish Blizz would offer a warning on the box that you have to play a ton of previous content to make a new Allied Race. I bought the expansion and came back thinking I could boost to 110, play BFA questing to open up new allied race. Well, wrong, tricks on you.

I do some reading. I find out I have to do a ton of questing in old Legion content to open up NIghtborne. I go ok, let's try this. I go to Legion. I find out I need to do a ton of questing to gain flight in Legion areas. So basically, to open NIghtborne, you pretty much have to play Legion.

If you boosted to 110 and quickly hit 111, you have to play Legion getting no real xp from killing MOBs. Apparently you can't queue for the dungeons or raids once you hit 111, which happened fairly quickly. So you're kind of stuck traveling around on a ground mount grinding Legion Suramar to open up a race you paid a monthly fee and an expansion cost to play. I hope this is easier than it looks.

So question to the WoW collective: Is it easier to grind up Legion flight or should I just focus on finishing the Insurrection quest and grinding to exalted with NIghtfallen with a ground mount?
You don't need flight to finish Insurrection.
If you think Nightborne are bad then you should read up on how Alliance players unlock Void Elves and Lightforged Draenei.
11/13/2018 12:58 PMPosted by Amarlly
If you think Nightborne are bad then you should read up on how Alliance players unlock Void Elves and Lightforged Draenei.

The 2 alliance ones are way, way easier than Nightborne. Took me less than a month to unlock the Alliance allied races.
Blizzard made it no secret that the first 4 Allied Races had to be unlocked with Legion content... and their advertisement for Allied Races as a whole was clear from the start that they are UNLOCKABLE RACES unlike previous expansion races.

As for the Nightborne. Just do the quest line, you will be exalted with them by the end of it anyways. Unlike all other Allied Races you actually can unlock the Nightborne simply by doing their story line quests... all other Allied Races require a couple weeks of WQ grinds to unlock. The two for the Alliance are the worst of all to grind out the reps for...
Wait, was the title of your thread serious and unironic? I'm amazed; I actually thought that this was just more valid but non-sequitur advice to accept the intentional structure of allied race gating and stop whining.

Of course you're asking legit advice on priorities. If you intend to unlock HM Tauren as well as NightBorne, flying might be a better early choice, both for convenience and for the significant overlap in objectives (quest campaigns and reputation for 2 of the 5 zones required for the Pathfinder achieves). But Pathfinder is ultimately a lot of "playing Legion" (it would be dishonest to call it "work") beyond the AR unlocks, so you'll have to decide if the extra convenience is worth the extra play required.
11/13/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Thèón

The 2 alliance ones are way, way easier than Nightborne. Took me less than a month to unlock the Alliance allied races.
I can't do an exact comparison based on experience because I had all the Nightborne requirements completed before Allied Races were even announced, but unless they've buffed the Argus rep gains since I did them I'm pretty sure Nightborne can be unlocked much more quickly.
I was taught in my first class on economics, in the 5th grade, Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. Funny I never suffer buyers remorse because I research almost everything I decide to buy.

Either they don't teach that anymore, or people don't pay attention.

Which is it?

edit: typo
surprise: if you want to play a race who was introduced and had their story completely wrapped in in Legion, you have to play Legion in order to unlock them.
I know I thought the same thing but it is worth it in the end, I felt accomplished unlocking my allied races. Good luck!
11/13/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Thèón

Takes 2 weeks to get nightborne.
11/13/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Nutts
Blizzard made it no secret that the first 4 Allied Races had to be unlocked with Legion content... and their advertisement for Allied Races as a whole was clear from the start that they are UNLOCKABLE RACES unlike previous expansion races.

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/world-of-warcraft-battle-for-azeroth?p=30742
"Purchase Battle for Azeroth and begin your quest to recruit four new playable Allied Races. Heroes of the Horde can enlist the Highmountain Tauren and Nightborne, and champions of the Alliance can add the Lightforged Draenei and Void Elves to their ranks."

This is an ad landing page specifically selling BFA. "Quest to recruit" does not convey to new or returning players buying this new expansion they'll be engaged in a long and tedious rep grind in an old expansion -- whether for Nightborne or any other Allied race.
Not an insurmountable task. I unlocked this fellow in a few months. Also not too far from unlocking the other 3 that require Legion rep.

Funny as it turns out Legion was actually a lot of fun.
It's not that bad because the story is actually strong. Its almost like playing a game!
11/13/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Hellskull
So you're kind of stuck traveling around on a ground mount grinding Legion Suramar to open up a race you paid a monthly fee and an expansion cost to play.

No, you bought BFA to play BFA. You pay a monthly sub because, well if you don't you don't play. You made a poor purchasing decision without taking a couple of minutes to research what you were buying.

That said, I agree that requiring the exalted reputation is a bit much now a days. But as you are looking to unlock the Nightborne, they are pretty easy to do. If you complete the story line quests you should be honored or better. Work your class hall quests for Nightborne reputation tokens. Make sure you do the Nightborne WQs and emissary quest, these will be your only choice for reputation gains once you have finished out the quest line.

It wasn't that bad in Legion because you actually had a reason to be hanging out in Legion doign this stuff but now I just don't see it. I wouldn't mind if they made it so you just needed honored, complete the major quest line for the zone and then the introduction quest (which would still require a 110 as you couldn't do the rest without actually being 110 in the first place).
Honestly, if you like the Nightborne so much, you'll probably enjoy the Suramar questing. Suramar's questing and lore was easily my favorite part of Legion, and I was delighted to see I'd get to play them later.

The Suramar questing only deepens the appreciation for the race, imo.
It's harder to find ways to complain about the Suramar questing than it is to actually play the Suramar questing, but you achieved it. Horray for you.

Shoot, I went through it while it was still timegated. What the heck are you doing?
11/13/2018 01:17 PMPosted by Hrumn
11/13/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Nutts

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/world-of-warcraft-battle-for-azeroth?p=30742
"Purchase Battle for Azeroth and begin your quest to recruit four new playable Allied Races. Heroes of the Horde can enlist the Highmountain Tauren and Nightborne, and champions of the Alliance can add the Lightforged Draenei and Void Elves to their ranks."

This is an ad landing page specifically selling BFA. "Quest to recruit" does not convey to new or returning players buying this new expansion they'll be engaged in a long and tedious rep grind in an old expansion -- whether for Nightborne or any other Allied race.

They were announced as part of the Pre-launch content. That was a VERY public announcement. And "Quest to recruit" doesn't say "but it and unlock immediately" either... it quite literally says "QUEST"... as in a task that you must complete for a reward.

Now when you take the fact that they quite clearly announce that those 4 races would be available PRIOR to launch of BfA & that they have clearly stated them to have unlock requirements. It doesn't take a genius to put two & two together and realize that "Oh, hey I have to do something in Legion to unlock these 4".

Also, that page said "Pre-purchase" when it was first put up. With the launch of BfA it was changed to Purchase.
11/13/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Jamalia
I was taught in my first class on economics, in the 5th grade, Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. Funny I never suffer buyers remorse because I research almost everything I decide to buy.

Either they don't teach that anymore, or people don't pay attention.

Which is it?

edit: typo

That was last in public schools in 1982. The flowing year taken out. My kids go to private school. Do to the fact public schools teach things interesting. Did you know to fine the square root of a square you times a*b*c*d to get it. Yeah that why they go to private school.