Surprise: If you want to play Nightborne, play Legion first

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
I find Blizzard's decision to require players to play large chunks of Legion to access some of the allied races in BFA to be rather strange.

This is the first time in WoW's history where you couldn't access all of the latest expansion's content, just by buying and playing that expansion.

This makes sense. Expansions are supposed to serve as a reset and bring new or returning players back on an even playing field. It's how all prior expansions worked. It's what players expect.

But then in BFA Blizzard does this. It feels like a very poorly thought out decision on Blizzard's part. I think they messed up.

It may be a sign the devs are a bit out of touch with the playerbase. Sorta like Diablo Immortals.
Wow, they way y'all are talking to the OP is just why people hate asking questions on this forum.

Original Question:
So question to the WoW collective: Is it easier to grind up Legion flight or should I just focus on finishing the Insurrection quest and grinding to exalted with NIghtfallen with a ground mount?

At this point if all you care about is the Nightborne allied race then in my experience you would be better off just finishing the Suramar storyline. As some have said, it really is a great bit of writing and you'll enjoy it if you like the Nightborne lore. It is much easier if you can fly but it would take you a bunch of grinding to get pathfinding. It's also been my experience that completing the storyline will not be enough, you should also be sure to do all the dailies which grant Nightborne rep each day. Especially watch the map for Nightborne "Legion Emmissaries" which you can complete 4 to get an extra boost and the Kirin Tor one which for 3 you get a boost in which you get to choose what race you get the bonus rep for.

Hope this helps...
11/13/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Hellskull
Is it easier to grind up Legion flight or should I just focus on finishing the Insurrection quest and grinding to exalted with NIghtfallen with a ground mount?

If your in a rush for NB, just do it w/o flight. Or do them together prioritizing NB questing and WQs, etc... first.

Make sure you do the Kirin Tor emissary when its up for rep boot token. Maybe try to advance your class hall a bit to start getting rep tokens from missions.

But otherwise, yeah, bust through the NB quest line as quickly as you can. Focus on the other stuff when you hit a rep gate, but after you clear all the WQs up in Surumar.
11/13/2018 01:31 PMPosted by Nutts
They were announced as part of the Pre-launch content. That was a VERY public announcement.

Because new and returning players were all around for the pre-launch ... got it.

And "Quest to recruit" doesn't say "but it and unlock immediately" either... it quite literally says "QUEST"... as in a task that you must complete for a reward.

No one is saying OTHERWISE. Hence "quest." The point, obviously, is that it is neither mentioned nor apparent that such a quest takes place in old content. Again, that is the point. Not the time. Not the effort. The content is not part of the new expansion they are buying.

Now when you take the fact that they quite clearly announce that those 4 races would be available PRIOR to launch of BfA & that they have clearly stated them to have unlock requirements. It doesn't take a genius to put two & two together and realize that "Oh, hey I have to do something in Legion to unlock these 4".

The point is, again, that new and returning players can reasonably be expected NOT to have been around for the pre-launch information. They are more likely to find the product information on something like the information-rich advertising landing page I linked above.
11/13/2018 01:12 PMPosted by Nemestrïnus
surprise: if you want to play a race who was introduced and had their story completely wrapped in in Legion, you have to play Legion in order to unlock them.
Surprise, this was never a requirement when Blood Elves and Draenei were added in BC
Night fallen was the worst rep maybe in the game. Couldn't start until max level, then you had to wait days to reach the next tier of rep lock. They made it easier but to this day I still think it's the worst zone in the game.
11/13/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Defiaspally
11/13/2018 01:12 PMPosted by Nemestrïnus
surprise: if you want to play a race who was introduced and had their story completely wrapped in in Legion, you have to play Legion in order to unlock them.
Surprise, this was never a requirement when Blood Elves and Draenei were added in BC

Also Allied races are considered BFA content. Redeeming and playing one disqualifies you for returning BFA on those grounds.

So yeah, it makes zero sense.
11/13/2018 01:17 PMPosted by Hrumn
11/13/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Nutts
Blizzard made it no secret that the first 4 Allied Races had to be unlocked with Legion content... and their advertisement for Allied Races as a whole was clear from the start that they are UNLOCKABLE RACES unlike previous expansion races.

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/world-of-warcraft-battle-for-azeroth?p=30742
"Purchase Battle for Azeroth and begin your quest to recruit four new playable Allied Races. Heroes of the Horde can enlist the Highmountain Tauren and Nightborne, and champions of the Alliance can add the Lightforged Draenei and Void Elves to their ranks."

This is an ad landing page specifically selling BFA. "Quest to recruit" does not convey to new or returning players buying this new expansion they'll be engaged in a long and tedious rep grind in an old expansion -- whether for Nightborne or any other Allied race.

Very misleading imho, particularly since BfA is light on original content, its reliance on old content to "fluff" itself is a bit dishonest.
I was fine finishing the story content but why the hell do I need to grind reps on top of that......
11/13/2018 01:31 PMPosted by Dko
11/13/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Jamalia
I was taught in my first class on economics, in the 5th grade, Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. Funny I never suffer buyers remorse because I research almost everything I decide to buy.

Either they don't teach that anymore, or people don't pay attention.

Which is it?

edit: typo

That was last in public schools in 1982. The flowing year taken out. My kids go to private school. Do to the fact public schools teach things interesting. Did you know to fine the square root of a square you times a*b*c*d to get it. Yeah that way they go to private school.

Spooky. I started 5th grade in 81. I've often wondered why people younger than I weren't taught some of the same things I was.

edit: On topic, I do think Blizz should have written in a way to gain rep with the original Allied races by playing BFA content. At least they've made it much easier than originally. Twice?
You have to do content to unlock said content shocking!
you have to play a ton of previous content

A ton of content?

/silly
Legion had a ton of content for you to do?
What a nice compliment!
/sillyend

For crying out loud... it requires more from players to unlock a level 3 Fishing shack than any of the allied races.
11/13/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Djarro
If your in a rush for NB, just do it w/o flight. Or do them together prioritizing NB questing and WQs, etc... first.

Make sure you do the Kirin Tor emissary when its up for rep boot token. Maybe try to advance your class hall a bit to start getting rep tokens from missions.
^this
I really wish Blizz would offer a warning on the box that you have to play a ton of previous content to make a new Allied Race. I bought the expansion and came back thinking I could boost to 110, play BFA questing to open up new allied race. Well, wrong, tricks on you.

I was very disappointed in this as well.

At first it seemed like just a part of the game. A stylistic decision to integrate the races through game play, and that seemed like a good idea.

Then it became evident that no thought had actually be put into it at all and the players, who just dropped a mass of cash for some nebulous content still to be discovered, were just being herded into a reputation gated corral and forced to hash through repetitive legacy content.

And I think it was done this way because Blizzard can do it. They know when they have you. They know you aren’t going to go do something else and they have plenty of friends, they don’t have to be nice to you. They don’t have to please you. You are just the customer.

Thought you were going to skip ahead? Looking to be past all that old content and into the good stuff? Nope. You will play the old content. You will crawl along on the ground until you get exalted in everything.

Want to play these allied races, unlocked by a quick introductory quest line? Get back into the old content and grind until we say stop. You will play our game in our way and what you want simply doesn’t matter.

And that mean-spirited sentiment seems to pervade the whole environment of the game now. In order to play the allied races, you better have done your time in the rep mines or log in and march off to your world quests. You will know every inch of them by heart in a few weeks.

Want to fly again? You better have done everything in that entire xpac such that it’s time to move on to content where you can no longer fly.

It’s like there is a minimum devotion level, and if you haven’t met it then thank you for your money but grab a pick and start digging. Which I imagine must delight those delighted by schadenfreude.

And the worst part, to me, is how readily the community of players – many of whom I imagine to be somewhat younger then myself - defend this sort of thing.
Beyond trolling or the silly mechanics of memes, some people legitimately believe that they do not deserve any consideration as a paying customer; that they, in fact, somehow owe Blizzard for having created this game.

I don’t mean to say that the customer is always right, but they aren’t always wrong either. Perhaps we have made ourselves, as customers, so toxic and antithetical to development that this Stockholmed relationship is the only kind that endures. It’s hard to tell.

I am currently trudging through the monotony of unlocking void elves. The process is tragic from a development perspective and had I a hand in its crafting I expect I would but be justly mortified at what it has become.

But I don’t think current development is embarrassed at the thought of so many players forced to do the same static content over and over and over for weeks upon weeks. I’m sure they are too busy to consider such a thing. They are too busy to consider a variety of things. They are certainly too busy to consider you.
So I came back to the game last month, after a 6 year hiatus. I boosted my mage to 110 and immediately started grinding for Nightborne. I ONLY played in Suramar, not BFA. I used that as a way to reacquaint myself with the game.
I had no flying in Broken Isles. It took a mere ten days. Don't believe the hype you see about it taking over a month. I'm also a full time student, to give you some perspective.
Nightborne are the second easiest rep to grind since there is so much more normal questing involved with their reputation (rather than being artificially capped by the number of daily quests/invasions that are available per day). They are also the most rewarding, since their whole quest chain is required for flying in Legion.
It's not a surprise?

Highmountain Tauren, Lightforged Draenei, Nightborne, and Void Elves came out during Legion.
11/13/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Jamalia
On topic, I do think Blizz should have written in a way to gain rep with the original Allied races by playing BFA content. At least they've made it much easier than originally. Twice?
I've always thought those first four races should have been part of Legion entirely and NOT required a pre-purchase of BfA. Linking them to BfA was an idea that came straight from Marketing and not the devs, I'm sure. It makes no sense at all for them to have anything to do with BfA, and every sense that they require Legion quests and rep.
11/13/2018 01:06 PMPosted by Nutts
Blizzard made it no secret that the first 4 Allied Races had to be unlocked with Legion content... and their advertisement for Allied Races as a whole was clear from the start that they are UNLOCKABLE RACES unlike previous expansion races.

As for the Nightborne. Just do the quest line, you will be exalted with them by the end of it anyways. Unlike all other Allied Races you actually can unlock the Nightborne simply by doing their story line quests... all other Allied Races require a couple weeks of WQ grinds to unlock. The two for the Alliance are the worst of all to grind out the reps for...

The text only indicates there is a questline. To the reader who has not been following the issue, it doesn't even suggest that there is way more to it than what they are reading.

So fail. No customer for a game should have to spend a year cruising forums and reading news sites to make sure they don't miss this sort of information. The text is meant to sell the expansion to people who aren't asking questions they have no way of knowing they should be asking.
11/13/2018 02:21 PMPosted by Brahmina
11/13/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Jamalia
On topic, I do think Blizz should have written in a way to gain rep with the original Allied races by playing BFA content. At least they've made it much easier than originally. Twice?
I've always thought those first four races should have been part of Legion entirely and NOT required a pre-purchase of BfA. Linking them to BfA was an idea that came straight from Marketing and not the devs, I'm sure. It makes no sense at all for them to have anything to do with BfA, and every sense that they require Legion quests and rep.

But as soon as you start BFA you are set off as an ambassador to bring them into the fold because of the current events in BFA, are you not? Isn't that the definition of plot function?