Surprise: If you want to play Nightborne, play Legion first

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
work smart not hard my friend
The big issue here is still the fact that, to be able to use a NEW FEATURE such as those four Allied Races, you have to do old content.

Think of new or returning players. It's just like Pathfinder in Draenor or the Broken Isles.
11/13/2018 01:17 PMPosted by Hrumn

"Purchase Battle for Azeroth and begin your quest to recruit four new playable Allied Races. Heroes of the Horde can enlist the Highmountain Tauren and Nightborne, and champions of the Alliance can add the Lightforged Draenei and Void Elves to their ranks."

Have you read The Lord of the Rings?

"...Begin your quest to recruit four new playable Allied Races" sounds a lot like an arduous grind to me. Your purchase unlocks the potential to start the process which, when concluded, grants access to new races.

Especially since the process was discussed in depth, here and elsewhere, beforehand. And anyone who has been with WoW this long - unless you have never seen an expansion, and are brand new - should know that it pays to read up on specific features and what they entail.

No, seriously. Suck it up and quit whining. You earn the right to play a Nightborne by - among other things - playing the story that introduces you to their leader, her plight, the rebellion she assembles, and the challenges you overcome alongside her.

It's not an unreasonable means to gaining access to a race.

Why not just drop them in like Draenei and Blood Elves and Worgen and Goblins and Pandaren? Because this expansion isn't giving us just two. It's offering us six so far, two more pending, and perhaps yet more to be announced.

"Gather your allies" is one of the themes of the expansion. They aren't just going to hand them out like Tic-Tacs. What happened to loathing filthy casuals who want stuff for free? You want a perk? Earn it.
Yeah, just make it where they can't be unlocked anymore. Maybe people will stop complaining about having to unlock them.
11/14/2018 04:23 AMPosted by Xeni
Yeah, just make it where they can't be unlocked anymore. Maybe people will stop complaining about having to unlock them.
Nah they will double down on the whining because now they can't get it anymore if anything it gives folks who skipped Legion and expected to have everything served to them on a silver platter to go back to Legion and see why and how things happened.
Reasons to play a Nighborne:
1) They look cool
2) You like their racial
3) Transmog
4) RP
5) You feel connected to them after struggling through their plight WITH them. You've EARNED their trust, defeated common foes and overcome 10 days of hardships.

I don't care which number applies to you, earn it. Everybody else did, most of us while it was timegated and before you could overgear it by 10 levels. It's a nice bit of content and part of the Legion Pathfinder achievement.
11/14/2018 06:16 AMPosted by Rockadee
I don't care which number applies to you, earn it. Everybody else did, most of us while it was timegated and before you could overgear it by 10 levels.

Except that was a tedious experience that no one should have had.
11/14/2018 04:15 AMPosted by Lemres
The big issue here is still the fact that, to be able to use a NEW FEATURE such as those four Allied Races, you have to do old content.

Think of new or returning players. It's just like Pathfinder in Draenor or the Broken Isles.

To new people it's not old content, for the returning they will have a chance to go through content that is new to them if they're returning. Had they been around for legion and played it like the rest of us, they would've had those reps done and ready for BFA. They already doubled and in some cases tripled the rate you gain the rep for those allied races.

I see no reason to throw most of the player base under the bus because a few entitled people feel that they can come in and just have things handed to them because they're new or quit and decided to come back when they seen something they wanted.

The only reason people had those races prior to bfa was due to the pre-purchase. It was always gonna be a BFA feature, we just happened to get early access for the preorder.

The events at the start of BFA has us going back to previous allies to recruit them for our war.

If people simply wanted to play and don't care about the story, then that's on them for not understanding how the story played out and why we're recruiting them at the start of BFA.

a simple google search or any amount of research (especially now) could've told people upset what they needed for the requirements. If a small grind is such a deal breaker then they clearly don't like mmo's because they're all grind style games.

I won't be thinking of all those poor souls who simply want something for nothing. Please stop attempting to dumb down the game any further than it's already been. If they don't like the mmo genre they should play something else. I've yet to play a single mmo that didn't have me grinding some long chain/story line for something I wanted.

They can go play something else that's more their attention span, like a mobile game if they're wanting instant gratification.

This is simply not how mmo games work.
11/13/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Blackgnoll
It's not that bad because the story is actually strong. Its almost like playing a game!
Irony too strong...please nerf!
This is one of the reasons I unsubbed. Why go backwards to go forwards. The extra races should have been Auto included pure and simple. Especially with the slow unrewarding level grind now.
11/14/2018 06:16 AMPosted by Rockadee
Reasons to play a Nighborne:
1) They look cool
2) You like their racial
3) Transmog
4) RP
5) You feel connected to them after struggling through their plight WITH them. You've EARNED their trust, defeated common foes and overcome 10 days of hardships.

I don't care which number applies to you, earn it. Everybody else did, most of us while it was timegated and before you could overgear it by 10 levels. It's a nice bit of content and part of the Legion Pathfinder achievement.
None of those seem like good reasons to play night borne lol. Im not a fan of the race, and I wish we'd gotten Void Elves instead.
11/13/2018 01:31 PMPosted by Nutts
They were announced as part of the Pre-launch content. That was a VERY public announcement.

Because new and returning players were all around for the pre-launch ... got it.

And "Quest to recruit" doesn't say "but it and unlock immediately" either... it quite literally says "QUEST"... as in a task that you must complete for a reward.

No one is saying OTHERWISE. Hence "quest." The point, obviously, is that it is neither mentioned nor apparent that such a quest takes place in old content. Again, that is the point. Not the time. Not the effort. The content is not part of the new expansion they are buying.

Now when you take the fact that they quite clearly announce that those 4 races would be available PRIOR to launch of BfA & that they have clearly stated them to have unlock requirements. It doesn't take a genius to put two & two together and realize that "Oh, hey I have to do something in Legion to unlock these 4".

The point is, again, that new and returning players can reasonably be expected NOT to have been around for the pre-launch information. They are more likely to find the product information on something like the information-rich advertising landing page I linked above.

If a new buyer has been SO SHIELDED from the game and forums; how do they even know who or what to nightborne are?

Just play the game and things will unlock in short order. Seriously, just play the game.
I agree it should be easier to get, but the requirements themselves aren't the problem there (Exalted makes sense and gives incentive to complete the storyline.) Rather the issue is the amount of rep you get from questing. They're improving that in 8.1, so if it's too onerous now, just do your BFA stuff while you wait.

I boosted this character and then unlocked both the Nightborne and Legion flying (and Draenor flying for that matter), so it doesn't take that long, and it'll be even better when the quality of life improvements land in 8.1. Hop to it.
Atleast you have to play Legion and not WoD. Count your lucky stars .
11/13/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Thèón
11/13/2018 12:58 PMPosted by Amarlly
If you think Nightborne are bad then you should read up on how Alliance players unlock Void Elves and Lightforged Draenei.

The 2 alliance ones are way, way easier than Nightborne. Took me less than a month to unlock the Alliance allied races.

Let me repeat that!

Took me less than a month

People shouldn't have to do a month of old oontent to play a race that was promised with new content.
Well NB came out in Legion, so...

The grind to unlock AR is kinda stupid though. Should just be an hour quest line or something.
Play your boosted 110 in BfA

Start a DH (Demon Hunter) and knock out the Legion content on a character that can benefit from doing the content. DH will start at 100 once you get through (the now painful) starting quests and you will naturally gain much of the experience/rep and other achievements needed to unlock flying and start working on the four allied races. Be sure to complete every quest for the High Mountain Tauren.
11/13/2018 12:58 PMPosted by Amarlly
If you think Nightborne are bad then you should read up on how Alliance players unlock Void Elves and Lightforged Draenei.

The 2 alliance ones are way, way easier than Nightborne. Took me less than a month to unlock the Alliance allied races.

Not sure if serious. Nightborne takes like 2 days, you barely even have to touch world quests for them.
11/13/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Amarlly
unless they've buffed the Argus rep gains

They did. Also alliance has access to the most OP racial of them all giving them 10% bonus rep in everything they do.
11/13/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Hellskull
I really wish Blizz would offer a warning on the box that you have to play a ton of previous content to make a new Allied Race. I bought the expansion and came back thinking I could boost to 110, play BFA questing to open up new allied race. Well, wrong, tricks on you.

I do some reading. I find out I have to do a ton of questing in old Legion content to open up NIghtborne. I go ok, let's try this. I go to Legion. I find out I need to do a ton of questing to gain flight in Legion areas. So basically, to open NIghtborne, you pretty much have to play Legion.

If you boosted to 110 and quickly hit 111, you have to play Legion getting no real xp from killing MOBs. Apparently you can't queue for the dungeons or raids once you hit 111, which happened fairly quickly. So you're kind of stuck traveling around on a ground mount grinding Legion Suramar to open up a race you paid a monthly fee and an expansion cost to play. I hope this is easier than it looks.

So question to the WoW collective: Is it easier to grind up Legion flight or should I just focus on finishing the Insurrection quest and grinding to exalted with NIghtfallen with a ground mount?

This garbage again? Really? You want it? Play the game.