Silence System

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Your silence system is about as good as your latest market performance. Can we get this fixed? These new forums are going to be more of the same.
What about it do you wish changed?
11/13/2018 03:17 PMPosted by Crepe

A general idea of things you can actually get silenced for would be nice as it stands now any disagreement with the herd runs the risk of a silence.
ya know....
i was expecting different colors.... from this update...
So.. it's definitely better than it was 3 years ago.. but not as good as it was this time last year, because the silence system changed sharply in the past two weeks?
OP is passionate about this issue, I'll give them that.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/search?a=Frawsted%40Sargeras
11/13/2018 03:18 PMPosted by Frawsted
A general idea of things you can actually get silenced for would be nice as it stands now any disagreement with the herd runs the risk of a silence.

Silence penalties are handed out for violations of chat channel rules.

Cursing, hate speech, etc.
11/13/2018 03:17 PMPosted by Crepe

We have been over this with you many many times. It is not changing. You won't get a list that you can play rules lawyer with.

How many threads on this are you going to make?

Also, the new forums should have a feature that prevents people who are in-game silenced form posting.
11/13/2018 03:19 PMPosted by Snowfox
So.. it's definitely better than it was 3 years ago.. but not as good as it was this time last year, because the silence system changed sharply in the past two weeks?

No when they moved over to the new system it turned to.... poo. The old system you actually had to do something to get silenced. As it currently stands all you need is enough people to report you and you get a silence that is a waste of time to appeal. As you just get a form letter and your ticket gets sent to the trash. Even if it was seen as abuse of the system the first silence is 24 hours. It takes over 24 hours to get the ticket even seen so while you don't get a mark so to speak you still spent 24 hours on silence for no real reason.
11/13/2018 03:22 PMPosted by Mirasol

We have been over this with you many many times. It is not changing. You won't get a list that you can play rules lawyer with.

Also, the new forums should have a feature that prevents people who are in-game silenced form posting.

I mean if you don't like reading em may I suggest you take your high horse on out of my thread then? If you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing.
11/13/2018 03:27 PMPosted by Frawsted

I mean if you don't like reading em may I suggest you take your high horse on out of my thread then? If you have nothing constructive to say then say nothing.
I felt that Marisol was being very constructive. You might not like what she said but she didn't lie. If the way you just treated her is how you treat people in-game, I think you now know why you keep getting silenced.
11/13/2018 03:27 PMPosted by Frawsted

Looking over a few of the posts, I do see where they have explained things to you and why it won't change. I'm not sure what else you want here, the system likely isn't going to change, and you keep beating the change drum. I would guess that if you keep beating this drum, you'll likely suffer further action against you.
11/13/2018 03:29 PMPosted by Solarwynds
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I felt that Marisol was being very constructive. You might not like what she said but she didn't lie. If the way you just treated her is how you treat people in-game, I think you now know why you keep getting silenced.

I see also I am not silenced in game why is it people assume that a person who thinks a system is trash has to be in that system currently? I have not been silenced for a good while, if you need proof so you too can get off your high horse with the "Bad guy is silenced must have needed it" I will gladly supply a screenshot of me speaking in a public channel.

I am against this system cuz with today PC culture everyone is offended about everything you cannot say a word in any chat without fear of someone getting you silenced and as I covered above even if it's an error to bad so sad you already served your 24 hours. No player or group should have the power to do that and the "squelch" you all claim is the 24 hour silence should not be automated as it is now. No person should spend 24 hours silenced due to blizzards lack of customer service if they truely did nothing wrong, and as it is now that is exactly what happens.

Itt is so bad now I have spent the day in game and I have seen people talk 4 times unless it was spamming trade selling runs which for some odd reason is allowed by the current system.

Spamming or Trolling

This category includes:

Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish
Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums
Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters
Making non-constructive posts
Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
Numbering a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, he/she will:

Be given a temporary or permanent ban from the forums, depending upon severity

You have now broken the rules of the ToS. You should be banned (according to your philosophy) for going over the same thing many times. By the rules of the ToS, you would be expected to respond one time and walk away.

<-- wields the ban hammer!
the rules are pretty simple.. use the billboard principle. if you wouldn't see it on a billboard don't use it in chat.. or you can use the don't be a posterior fedora principle.
11/13/2018 03:33 PMPosted by Frawsted
I see also I am not silenced in game why is it people assume that a person who thinks a system is trash has to be in that system currently? I have not been silenced for a good while, if you need proof so you too can get off your high horse with the "Bad guy is silenced must have needed it" I will gladly supply a screenshot of me speaking in a public channel.

I am against this system cuz with today PC culture everyone is offended about everything you cannot say a word in any chat without fear of someone getting you silenced and as I covered above even if it's an error to bad so sad you already served your 24 hours. No player or group should have the power to do that and the "squelch" you all claim is the 24 hour silence should not be automated as it is now. No person should spend 24 hours silenced due to blizzards lack of customer service if they truely did nothing wrong, and as it is now that is exactly what happens.

Itt is so bad now I have spent the day in game and I have seen people talk 4 times unless it was spamming trade selling runs which for some odd reason is allowed by the current system.

Again.

11/13/2018 03:16 PMPosted by Frawsted
Your silence system is about as good as your latest market performance. Can we get this fixed? These new forums are going to be more of the same.

She’s not wrong guys. People abuse this all the time like in rated battle grounds, or if somebody really dislikes you all you gotta do is get like 10 of your guidelines/friends to report you and your silenced automatically, even if you said nothing at all and people just wanna troll just get 10 people to report, boom instant silence, no review before your silenced and you gotta send in a ticket to get it reviewed and even then if they reverse the silence the people who reported you probably won’t get in trouble.
I didn't assume that you were currently silenced. I assumed that you have been silenced. And I was correct.

I am against this system cuz with today PC culture everyone is offended about everything you cannot say a word in any chat without fear of someone getting you silenced and as I covered above even if it's an error to bad so sad you already served your 24 hours.
Have you had any of your silences overturned?
11/13/2018 03:38 PMPosted by Crepe

Again.

I covered that in the first response and even the one you quoted I want the system to not auto squelch or 24 hour silence or whatever it is you all have made up happens. I needs to be reviewed and not after the silence has already ended as is the current case. As it stands now I could gather some friends and get someone a 24 hour silence, as soon as it ends and the mark gets erased do it again. All I have to say is something he said offended me. (He called me a he instead of a Xer) or whatever. It doesn't matter so long as I can be offended I am not abusing the system as I was using it as I was told to and reporting offensive stuff. Meanwhile mister guy is now 2 weeks with no chat and no black marks on his record. Yet another round of reports will see him right back on the silence train.
11/13/2018 03:42 PMPosted by Frawsted
I covered that in the first response and even the one you quoted I want the system to not auto squelch or 24 hour silence or whatever it is you all have made up happens.

You're talking about 2 different mechanics.

The silence system is a penalty applied by a GM for chat channel rules.

The squelch feature is an automated system that will prevent an account from communicating if it's reported for spam multiple times in a short period of time.

So until you separate out the two in your head and figure out which you want altered, you're going to run into some communication issues.