Sylvanas in line for an Illidan-like retcon?

Story Forum
In the Illidan book we got a lot of, not necessarily flat out retcons, but spin put on a lot of his actions that made it so they were always done with the noble intent of eventually destroying the Legion. And that spin was likely never intended during WC3 and BC.

I think something similar could happen with Sylvanas, but in a negative way. Where they add new twists on previous actions, like we may have gotten with Alex’s statement on Wrathgate. Where everything she did before was part of some plan which we don’t know of yet but hinted at Blizzcon.

As an example of what they could do: when the Horde was researching the sha, in the same way we took a sha to Silvermoon, she also took one to Undercity to research the Old Gods.

Something that’s not really a retcon but is absolutely not what anyone would’ve thought about.
I could see them using her as a segue into a Shadowlands expansion, where Sylvanas thinks she can stop the expac's Big Bad by raising everyone into undeath so they don't get our souls in the afterlife.
They could also write in that Sylvannas was aiding the legion to have voljin killed. Just so she could call her archers away leaving Varian to fend off the legion. Imagine that though if she was responsible for Voljins death.
11/13/2018 10:05 PMPosted by Vera
They could also write in that Sylvannas was aiding the legion to have voljin killed. Just so she could call her archers away leaving Varian to fend off the legion. Imagine that though if she was responsible for Voljins death.

I don't think that's possible. We've seen her thought process, and she very clearly neither wanted to be Warchief nor did she want Vol'jin to die, and would've rathered that he didn't.

It would be a hard retcon to change that.
I think the stupidest part of Illidan is that it *lacked* retcons, it was merely idiotic.
Honestly, I just want something that leaves her forsaken aligned and not a complete villain. She doesn't have to be warchief, leader of the forsaken, or even really in the story going forward much. I just don't want her to die a villain, or become completely detached from her people.

If this twist would accomplish this, I suppose I am in favor of it.
Remember Illidian didn't raise the dead or send invasion forces to kill innocents. He was mainly focused on fighting the legion. Even after his people rejected him. There isn't any way for them to write her with a redemption. Deathcamps, torturing prisoners in undercity and darkshore. Raising and tormenting those raised just to bend them to her will (Jarod Proudmoore). There's no way that a female hitler would be innocent.
Shes a female version of the lichking and we know Arthas never got a redemption story. So why would it happen? It's already been said that Sylvannas is far worse then Garrosh. So if they cant come up with something for him. Theres no way she will get one.
11/13/2018 10:45 PMPosted by Vera
Remember Illidian didn't raise the dead or send invasion forces to kill innocents. He was mainly focused on fighting the legion. Even after his people rejected him.

I mean, in the name of fighting the legion Illidan also enslaved a bunch of people, ordered the diversion of Outlands water and played around with soul magic/used draenei souls to power his portals.
11/13/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Verlius
Honestly, I just want something that leaves her forsaken aligned and not a complete villain. She doesn't have to be warchief, leader of the forsaken, or even really in the story going forward much. I just don't want her to die a villain, or become completely detached from her people.

Brah when classic comes out, play the quests, read her short story, she was detached from the start, the forsaken where merely a tool for her, she never ever cared about them.
11/13/2018 11:00 PMPosted by Felology
11/13/2018 10:45 PMPosted by Vera
Remember Illidian didn't raise the dead or send invasion forces to kill innocents. He was mainly focused on fighting the legion. Even after his people rejected him.

I mean, in the name of fighting the legion Illidan also enslaved a bunch of people, ordered the diversion of Outlands water and played around with soul magic/used draenei souls to power his portals.
None of that was retconned either, it was just danced around or something Xe'ra told us was for the greater good.
11/13/2018 11:23 PMPosted by Katiera
11/13/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Verlius

Brah when classic comes out, play the quests, read her short story, she was detached from the start, the forsaken where merely a tool for her, she never ever cared about them.

I moreso meant detached as in not associated. And I know that Sylvanas hasn't ever been a kind, warm, and benevolent ruler of the forsaken. I would like her to actually grow and progress towards being better to her people though, and not offed after a decade.

She also has been portrayed inconsistently in these regards, and has had a nosedive recently with BtS and this expansion, although is is a debate for another thread.