Ret is way too SLOW...

Paladin
That's seriously my biggest beef with the spec right now.

The CDs are just too long and no matter what talents you take or however much Haste you try to stack, I feel like 50% of the time I'm just sitting there for several seconds with nothing to use.

Is there any word as to whether the spec will be seeing any adjustments to its ability downtime or are we going to once again have to wait until close to the end of the expansion to gain enough Haste to properly smooth out the rotation? Right now, it's just not fun at all and I feel like most other melee DPS have a more proactive and engaging playstyle.
I do find myself having to try and fake having fun while playing ret. The only bright side is prot is pretty good.
It's the same problem in legion, it will get better with haste, but at low haste the spec is slow. We also don't have the soul lego and the glory of legion Crusade talent anymore.
What?! I love it! The only problem I see with Ret is I can't make a Void Elf one! :(
You think Ret is slow, play Arms.
10/18/2018 11:00 PMPosted by Indrct

I play both.

Ret is slow.
10/19/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Faithius

I play both.

Ret is slow.

AND STAY DOWN
we have been telling blizzard this since BFA beta. it will get fixed by next patch, if not next expansion. just reroll to a FOTM class for now.
I play as a shaman usually so Pally is my FoTM class....

Okay, if Ret was slow but we were actually competitive then I'd be fine with it. To say Arms is slow when Arms is parsing 2nd highest in Uldir and Ret is 2nd lowest, the comparison doesn't really work.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19
If they gave us emancipate, I could handle moving slow.
have you tried zeal , blade of wrath and consecration?
the downtime is kept to a minimum and sometimes non at all, but if you want zero downtime then you might have to wait till the end of the expansion to get all the haste you need.
fires of justice, wake or consc if you want half the cd, inquisiton, relentless inquisitor trait and haste enchants. rarely ever have to spend more than a second waiting for things to come back up and with almost 1.1second gcd it feels pretty smooth
It might be intended. You can say that its slow and that you don't like it that way, but some specs are supposed to be slow. It allows certain abilities to hit very hard for that BOOM feeling, as opposed to everything hitting like a wet noodle.

Free globals, especially for a class like paladins where they have a lot of utility that would consume their globals, is intended so that Ret can use things like Flash of Light or Blessing of Protection without losing any DPS.

Balancing is another can of worms altogether though. I'm not saying they don't need damage buffs, just that their playstyle is likely how it is meant to be.
Play a DK, you'll run back to your pally real quick.
10/19/2018 04:05 PMPosted by Akusokuzan
have you tried zeal , blade of wrath and consecration?
the downtime is kept to a minimum and sometimes non at all, but if you want zero downtime then you might have to wait till the end of the expansion to get all the haste you need.

I agree with this. Zeal + BoW + Wake of Ashes. I'm rarely without something to do.

I play both.

Ret is slow.

Your gear does not have haste on every piece. FAIL.

Your trinket selection is terrible. FAIL.

Your ilvl is low. FAIL.

Get 360+ ilvl with haste on all pieces with haste being the main secondary stat on all of your pieces and ret is amazing.

Ret will only get better as the expansion progresses. Your low item level and poor itemisation choices isn't a reflecting on the spec, or pace of the spec, it's a reflecting on how bad you are at the class.
Most of my higher item level gear does not have haste at all.I have 2 gear sets for ret one is item level and one is haste.Haste is 12% on the 355+ pieces and the 370 pieces dont even have it and 22% with gear with haste on it which my item level there is 343 and its hardly noticeable to be frank.

If blizz is gonna make us use haste as much as they have been atleast put the !@#$ on our gear and inquisition is just bull to me instead of using holy power for damage abilites I have to waste it on a damage buff ability every 20 secs or so
Honestly, if you don't like it, reroll.
Things aren't going to change. The "next patch" or "next expansion" that we have been heard for 12 years are just that, promises.
10/21/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Monkeymagick
I play both.

Ret is slow.

Your gear does not have haste on every piece. FAIL.

Your trinket selection is terrible. FAIL.

Your ilvl is low. FAIL.

Get 360+ ilvl with haste on all pieces with haste being the main secondary stat on all of your pieces and ret is amazing.

Ret will only get better as the expansion progresses. Your low item level and poor itemisation choices isn't a reflecting on the spec, or pace of the spec, it's a reflecting on how bad you are at the class.

I agree with what you're saying about ret being good enough after reaching end game and cranking that ilevel up. It is concerning to me that your answer is to tell the player to stop being !@#$ because his paladin isn't adequately geared for end game in order to be viable.

No, friend, that is a failure of the game design. No class spec should have to wait for max level with high end gear to be considered fun or functional. Stop criticizing the gamer, who cares if he is good, the truth is the spec itself sucks a hard one right now and donkey slapping someone because they aren't "1337" like you is intellectually irresponsible at best.