Abilities took away, that made us great.

Shaman
Defense -
Stone Bulwark Totem:
Summons an Earth Totem with (5 * Total health / 100) health at the feet of the caster for 30 sec, granting the caster a shield absorbing (Spell power * 0.875 * 4) damage for 10 sec, and up to an additional (Spell power * 0.875) every 5 sec. (It could give you a shield for almost all of your health, and this was perfect against burst melee, and retarded burst that still exists that requires no skill to execute.

Shamanistic Rage: Reduces all damage taken by 30% for 15 sec. This spell is usable while stunned. (it could be buffed with a Glyph for 60% I believe, could be used stunned)

Glyph of Lightning Shield: When your Lightning Shield is triggered, you take 10% less damage for 6 sec.

Healing -
healing tide totem, and healing stream totem. Ele has access to both of these via a talent if I remember. I have not played mop since it's live access.

Glyph of Flame Shock: Use: Permanently teaches you this glyph.
When your Flame Shock deals damage, it heals you for 30% of the damage dealt.

healing surge actually healed allot, near half health once geared.

Mobility -

Spiritwalker's Grace: Cast while moving for a certain amount of time.
Lightening bolt could be cast while moving.

Control -

Frost shock would freeze people in place with a talent.

earthgrab totem. It would do it's AOE slow but also root everything.

Earthbind. That's right, you could use both still. One would root, one wouldn't.

you wonder why you feel squishy, and glass like? It's because Blizzard removed everything that we used to stay alive, without ever giving us anything to compensate. they left healing totems to ele because they know we have no real way of healing without hard casting. No passive heals either that heal us to full like most classes after we kill enemy's. Again, at the core of the spec they decided these things were good, and then took them away without understanding what that meant for the spec apart from others in the game.

i could go on and on, but I thought it would be interesting for you all to see a bit of what we once had, and what they took away.

there is more I'm sure I'm missing. Our entire class was stripped of what gave it the ability to survive, and control anything. Now we have a totem which everyone targets with a macro and one shots instantly. After that? Frost shock. that's it.
no abilities to escape, get out of, or to prevent. Once melee wants to be on you, they will be on you.
There are certain situation with thunderstorm, and earthbind totem that you can have control for a few seconds, but that's usually only if all of their cds for moment are on cd which end very quickly.

All of this combined with lackluster damage, almost no burst, and a lack of abilities to get out, or away has left us feeling like targets which we very much so are.
I just want lightning bolt castable while moving again. It felt like such a core part of class I was so sad when they removed it =(
I really miss shamanistic rage. I believe the glyph made it so it also dispelled a magic effect on you.
10/29/2018 02:49 PMPosted by Skychaserr
I really miss shamanistic rage. I believe the glyph made it so it also dispelled a magic effect on you.

I play a rogue also, and I can shut down even the best ele shaman with abosolute ease. And even when they get out? I've got a flurry of interrupts, blinds, and kidney shots. I can just cloack enhance when they finally get free if they aint dead which prevents them from doing ANY healing at all lol, it's sad..I feel bad every time. They can't do anything with evasion and cloak up.
atleast we got cap totem :)
This thread really deserves to be read
you forgot wind walking totem... removed all slows

wind walking totem -
Summons an Air Totem with (2 * Total health / 100) health at the feet of the caster for 6 sec, granting raid members within 40 yards immunity to movement-impairing effects.
If we're going all the way back there's much much more.

Cleansing totems:
1 for disease, 1for poisons.
dispels poisons every 2 seconds for 15 seconds.

All passive weapon spells:
Earthliving - buffs healing of shaman by 20%
rockbiter - increase threat generated by 15%
flame and windfury still exist in similar type.

Original Earth Shock:
slowed enemy attack speed by 20%

Purge:
remove 2 beneficial magic effects from enemy.
2 not 1.

All resistance totems:
nature, fire, frost.

Grounding totem:
Now have to be in pvp to use it.

Windwall totem:
reduces ranged damage that bypasses totem by x amount.

Tranquil Air totem:
reduced group member threat by 20% (effectively meaning anyone without the buff can tank)

So yeah.... that's just what I remember from Vanilla that I used to have. Not even considering the BC additions to our toolkit. We always had a lot of tools that were specific to event. That's why I played shaman. Now everyone has one defensive, one offensive, one this, one that. So because nothing is situational anymore, our entire niche is gone.
I miss picking totems to buff others. Now it's just one uninteresting button that only buffs my stuff.
Taken away.
11/01/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Vigr
If we're going all the way back there's much much more.

Cleansing totems:
1 for disease, 1for poisons.
dispels poisons every 2 seconds for 15 seconds.

All passive weapon spells:
Earthliving - buffs healing of shaman by 20%
rockbiter - increase threat generated by 15%
flame and windfury still exist in similar type.

Original Earth Shock:
slowed enemy attack speed by 20%

Purge:
remove 2 beneficial magic effects from enemy.
2 not 1.

All resistance totems:
nature, fire, frost.

Grounding totem:
Now have to be in pvp to use it.

Windwall totem:
reduces ranged damage that bypasses totem by x amount.

Tranquil Air totem:
reduced group member threat by 20% (effectively meaning anyone without the buff can tank)

So yeah.... that's just what I remember from Vanilla that I used to have. Not even considering the BC additions to our toolkit. We always had a lot of tools that were specific to event. That's why I played shaman. Now everyone has one defensive, one offensive, one this, one that. So because nothing is situational anymore, our entire niche is gone.

Earth shock also used to be our interrupt.
hey imo lava spread was pretty op for aoe i miss that alot..
Give me Stone Bulwark Totem back please. Give me more totems that interact that and ones they gave back like tremor. Give me 1 buff totem so I can have more utility to compete with against other classes and a reason for others to say, "YAY! We got a shaman!" instead of "WTF?!?! We got a shaman!?"
Can we have it all back please.
Sentry Totem
I'd love to see some more old totems added back in.
Great post! I wholeheartedly agree! These were things that made us valuable AND made the class interesting. It's so boring now.

One of my favorite moments in MOP was in a raid mass health loss situation was to drop the healing totem and cast Ancestral Healing which sent out some pretty decent heals based on damage dealt. You actually made a difference and the utility was fun. Utility was really the core of the class all the way back to Vanilla and I'm so sad it's so gutted and boring now!
I want Ancestral Awakening and/or Ancestral Guidance back.
10/29/2018 02:49 PMPosted by Skychaserr

Yah it did, it was similar to Ice Bound Fortitude.
A lot of you forget Windfury totem which made warriors and other melee classes absolute beasts.