Looking for guidance.

Priest
Hello, I am back after a long hiatus and am trying to regain my healing bearings. My focus is basic 5 mans.

I was hoping to get some direction as far as talents and spell usage. Are my current talents ok for holy healing? Is there a synergy I am missing?

A link to a reputable guide would also be helpful. Thanks for any and all input!

Edit: I always used healbot for my addon, is it still the best or should I try something else?
10/30/2018 12:01 PMPosted by Catastrophus
Hello, I am back after a long hiatus and am trying to regain my healing bearings. My focus is basic 5 mans.

I was hoping to get some direction as far as talents and spell usage. Are my current talents ok for holy healing? Is there a synergy I am missing?

A link to a reputable guide would also be helpful. Thanks for any and all input!

Edit: I always used healbot for my addon, is it still the best or should I try something else?

The guide on Icy Veins is a good starting point, I think.
https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/holy-priest-pve-healing-guide

As far as talents, I wouldn't really worry about Enlightenment for 5-mans because you can just drink between pulls if you're having issues, and fights really shouldn't last that long anyway. I prefer Trail of Light on that row because it helps a bit with tank healing.

For the 2nd row, Angelic Feather is probably a better bet. I don't think Renew is all that worth casting, even with the 10% damage reduction. I feel like you could probably mitigate more damage by just being able to move out of stuff more quickly.

Binding Heal can be a decent talent for 5-mans, and I know many people take it, but I personally prefer Surge of Light for that row. I like getting HW: Serenity off cooldown as fast as possible, and occasional instant Flash Heals can help with that. It's also nice to have an occasional extra instant cast for periods of movement.

And I would probably take Divine Star over Benediction. Benediction is a nice talent in raid, but I feel like there aren't a lot of points where PoM is bouncing around enough to get much use of that talent. Divine Star can be a nice little heal to toss into melee when it's up and it helps out with damage a bit. Some people also take Halo, but you have to be careful with that one because it can pull a lot of unwanted trash.
Hello! IcyVeins is usually a good starting place for spec guides:

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/holy-priest-pve-healing-guide

There is some flexibility in dungeon talents, but I'm tempted to say there's two common "builds": Enduring Renewal - Binding Heal - Benediction, or Trail of Light - Surge of Light - Divine Star. The first is better for AoE-centric healing, while the second is more for single-target focused healing, such as a crappy tank. Enlightenment is almost never taken for dungeons, though it's common in raiding. Angelic Feather is the default level 30 talent, as a speed boost will often do much more for getting you out of bad situations to NOT take damage than a small DR. Also at max level, Renew is hardly ever hard cast (letting Benediction leave them for us). Guardian Angel and Shining Force are good dungeon talents (though people often find Censure a bit easier to use). When you get to 100, Apotheosis is considered the best for dungeons.

Basic guidelines are cast Prayer of Mending on cooldown, cycle through your Holy Words regularly, and only cast Renew while on the move.

As for Healbot, it is still occasionally used, but VuhDo and Grid are far more common nowadays, and it's actually okay to use default Blizzard frames, if you check the "Use Raid Style Party Frames" option and use some sort of mouseover (macro or add-on).
Warcraft Priests should be your go to guide. It's more in depth than Icy Veins and is a continuation of the shadowpriest.com and H2P communities. There's also an active discord server.

https://warcraftpriests.com/

EDIT: There is some overlap between the contributors at Icy Veins and Warcraft Priests, but Warcraft Priests is a more comprehensive resource dedicated specifically to the priest class.
Hey guys thanks for the tips and input. I will definitely check out the guides listed and adjust myself accordingly.

Back in the game! Maybe lol :)