Switching from Mage to Shaman

Shaman
So I'd like to start by saying I love mages and while they have a couple issues, they're super fun to play. That being said, I want to play something different for 8.1. I tried Warlock, but I didn't enjoy the game play and I definitely did not enjoy the animations (I much prefer the old ones).

I don't play melee, and I don't want to play a multi-dot class again, despite me really liking the new balance rotation. Shaman was really on the last on my list to try. Note, I did not play this class in Legion, so I have nothing to compare it to. I was rather surprised at how much I liked it when I did. I personally don't care how they compare damage-wise to other classes, I just care about how I perform in a given spec.

The rotation was nice (granted trial gear has 19% haste) as there were more than two buttons to press. And the utility, I think is WAY better than that of the mage. The only thing that shaman doesn't have is the Arcane Intellect buff. In fact, frost is losing a major part of its utility from the slow.

As far as movement goes, I think I'll be missing the burst mobility that Blink/Shimmer provide. I think with the changes coming down the pipe, I think planned movement in raids will be much more manageable. I also like the idea of the challenge that shamans present, making me think more critically about my class.

Finally, I like to heal, but I don't feel like leveling my priest just for that. Shadow is awful IMO. This would let me heal in M+. I know restoration has its problems, but I have a good guild that would support me, so finding a group wouldn't be that bad.

Any insights/comments would be appreciated! ^.^

TL;DR: Switching from Mage to Shaman, want to have an offheal spec and something fresh to play for 8.1. I think the 8.1 changes aren't shabby at all and will freshen the class up. Low damage compared to other classes doesn't bother me.
I am in the process of possibly switching from Shaman to mage! And I also have warlock a try. Funny coincidence.

Resto shaman healing can feel very rewarding in raids on fights like taloc mother and vectis, where the group is generally stacked up. In fights like mythrax and fetid, where the group is required to spread, we get absolutely boned and it just feels really bad knowing how limited you are.
With that said, there are a few interesting talents that alter your gameplay a little and makes it fun to try new things (ie downpour vs cloudburst, APT vs stone wall)

A life saving SLT makes you feel like a champion.

I stopped doing M+ for a little and got quite a bit of gear. I did a 10last night for the first time and it went much better than it had before.

If you like the idea of being a powerful raid healer and are okay being a mediocre tank/single target healer, resto sham is a good fit.

As far as DPS specs, enhance is super proc reliant and overall feels clunky to me.

I don’t play ele but it seems pretty straight forward and not too involved. As far as numbers go, I’m told Shammie DPS is in an average to slightly below average place atm
We’re fun but not the best performing at the moment.
I’ve been maining Shaman since Vanilla for a reason.
11/05/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Elutriate
I am in the process of possibly switching from Shaman to mage! And I also have warlock a try. Funny coincidence.

Resto shaman healing can feel very rewarding in raids on fights like taloc mother and vectis, where the group is generally stacked up. In fights like mythrax and fetid, where the group is required to spread, we get absolutely boned and it just feels really bad knowing how limited you are.
With that said, there are a few interesting talents that alter your gameplay a little and makes it fun to try new things (ie downpour vs cloudburst, APT vs stone wall)

A life saving SLT makes you feel like a champion.

I stopped doing M+ for a little and got quite a bit of gear. I did a 10last night for the first time and it went much better than it had before.

If you like the idea of being a powerful raid healer and are okay being a mediocre tank/single target healer, resto sham is a good fit.

As far as DPS specs, enhance is super proc reliant and overall feels clunky to me.

I don’t play ele but it seems pretty straight forward and not too involved. As far as numbers go, I’m told Shammie DPS is in an average to slightly below average place atm

You'll like mage. I think fire and frost are fun, but arcane is a little lacking.
I love my fire mage, it has been my main since Cata, but every now and then i exclusively play my Shaman because they have the most badass spells, always feel different to a lot of classes, many different spell schools to choose from which makes weaving feel pretty good and we get hulking elemental friends.

You will definitely feel you're doing a lot less damage, and a lot slower, there is a ramp up time to ele dps with no instant 100% damage (combustion).
Ele damage is very chunky, you can hit 2-3k lightning bolts but then rock out a 40k Earth Shock crit and delete somebody.
Mobility is very lacking, removal of gust makes positioning always important and once a melee sticks to you, you will have an extremely hard time casting.

The best part though, and what makes all the struggle worth it, is Chain Lightning, i don't care how much damage it does you will feel Godlike arcing lightning through your enemies.
I don't really PvP beyond random BGs, so I'm not so sure about that. Doesn't mean that it's not important, just not to me personally. From what I've seen though, enhancement is pretty decent.
11/06/2018 03:39 PMPosted by Shenxiao
I love my fire mage, it has been my main since Cata, but every now and then i exclusively play my Shaman because they have the most badass spells, always feel different to a lot of classes, many different spell schools to choose from which makes weaving feel pretty good and we get hulking elemental friends.

You will definitely feel you're doing a lot less damage, and a lot slower, there is a ramp up time to ele dps with no instant 100% damage (combustion).
Ele damage is very chunky, you can hit 2-3k lightning bolts but then rock out a 40k Earth Shock crit and delete somebody.
Mobility is very lacking, removal of gust makes positioning always important and once a melee sticks to you, you will have an extremely hard time casting.

The best part though, and what makes all the struggle worth it, is Chain Lightning, i don't care how much damage it does you will feel Godlike arcing lightning through your enemies.

Shenxiao, I completely agree with your response.

I've played WoW--with breaks--since Vanilla and never tried the Shaman class until a week ago, when I became able to make a Mag'har. So far, I'm enjoying it.

Like everyone here, I also play--dabble, really--in the Mage class, which I also enjoy. (I have a lvl-20 Mag'har and a lvl-40 Velf Frost Mage.)

I, too, get a thrill out of watching lightning shoot from my Shaman's fingertips; still, there's something satisfying about the sight/sounds of a Mage's (Frost) spells, as well. (I clarify "Frost," since that's the only spec I've tried to date.)
One thing I really like about shaman as well, is their unique identity to the Warcraft universe. After having played DnD and Pathfinder for a while now, there's not really a class that fits the shaman. Maybe I'm wrong and I've missed something, but I like that aspect of it. Maybe Sorcerer, but that theme is still different imo
Blizzard nailed the aesthetics with this class. Makes everything else look and feel dull in comparison.
So, going from Mage to Shaman is kind of like trading in your Porsche for a Hyundai . . .
11/08/2018 02:47 AMPosted by Majyka
So, going from Mage to Shaman is kind of like trading in your Porsche for a Hyundai . . .

Maybe and I could see why you would say that, but I can tell you after years of daily driving an STI, a Hyundai sounds kind of nice. It's not as flashy or fast but it rides a hell of a lot nicer
11/08/2018 02:47 AMPosted by Majyka

As one who only dabbles in the Mage and Shaman classes, I can't fully relate to your example, though I grasp your meaning. But there's something so satisfying to me about playing a Mag'har (Shadowmoon clan) Shaman with face paint indicating that she's marked as dead by her own people. Makes her seem even more tough as she blasts her enemies with the elements--even if only in PvE.
Trying to wrap my head around why anyone would switch from mage to shaman
11/08/2018 11:47 AMPosted by Prinsoph
Trying to wrap my head around why anyone would switch from mage to shaman

I want to try it at the very least. It's just gotten a little stale. If I hate it, I can just switch back to this guy, no extra work required.
Mage is and always will be better:

Control
Burst
CC

With that being said currently mage loses to ele 1 on 1.

Play style IMO ele beats mage hands down.

Currently you don't have to work for anything as mage. Burst is on demand, cc on demand, aoe on demand. Roots, snares, mobility.

Ele shaman you put in work and it can be very rewarding and heart breaking at the same time. Completely deleting someone at half health, then deleting their buddy at half health creates a feeling of joy that cannot be measured.
I went to mage for BFA. I miss my shaman like a fat kid misses chocolate.
Why would you switch to a much worse class?
11/09/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Lolahha
Why would you switch to a much worse class?

I personally don't think it's much worse. I believe this is just something that's been perpetuated by the community.

Can I ask what you would define as one being better than another? Genuinely asking btw
I traded in my resto druid this expack for the enhancement shaman. Like others have said. The shaman is very proc reliant. Blizzard is in the middle of fixing the dps issues with the shaman and hopefully the changes they are making are for the better. All in all I am finding my shaman very fun to play.
11/12/2018 03:44 PMPosted by Unole
Blizzard is in the middle of fixing the dps issues with the shaman and hopefully the changes they are making are for the better. All in all I am finding my shaman very fun to play.

As this is my first time playing a Shaman--minus the green Orc I played to lvl 13, until I was able to create a Mag'har--I can't empathize with others about current DPS issues; still, I believe the complaints and hope that the eventual fix will make the Elemental Shaman even stronger.

Like you, I'm finding the Shaman class very fun to play.