"52 minutes of time played per day"

General Discussion
I spend 8-11 hours a day working, doesn't mean I enjoy it.
This is a little misleading.

Here's the full quote "Players spent a record 52 minutes per day in Activision, Blizzard, and King games in the quarter."

They're averaging the numbers. This is taking into account people who play Candy Crush on their phones. Investors aren't as interested in "Hey some people play Warcraft 8 hours a day", because that number can easily have holes poked in it from a value aspect. They want to show that the entire company of ATVI is successful in increasing the amount of daily time users are spending with their products as a whole. If they don't average it out, weaker projects get axed, and the bigger projects get promoted, sometimes to their detriment. In the investment world, you want to diversify while still maintaining performance. ATVI is communicating that they've done just that.
11/09/2018 10:41 AMPosted by Chilayllenn
I heard this being used as a metric to judge player enjoyment by blizzard in the conference call.

Well, as a gamer through and through I'm here to say that playing 1 hour per day is not a good metric to boast about, especially for an MMOPRG that's as old as this product. For instance in games like ESO and FFXIV my time equals to a time larger then a simple 1 hour per day, and don't get me started with how much time I spent on RDR2.

Now i'm not trying to say that you need more measures to force players into playing for longer periods of time, even though that would be a rightful assumption. No, the meat of what I'm saying here is that the content that's present in end-game as of 8.0 in BFA is so lack-luster that there is no incentive for gamers to play for longer then an hour per session because the 'content' that's there is mainly focused on WQ's and Rep-grinding. This is boring content, period.

What you want in your product is more engaging content and less 'content' that's just there to fill out time. Less Rep-grinding and World Quests and more focus on Quests (aka storylines) for players to enjoy. More maps that's filled with content for consumers to enjoy, rather then feeling lacking with content. More Raids for players to farm for mounts/xmogs/achievements. and if players are complaining that (for example) professions are useless then try and make them less useless and more enjoyable, rather then just removing them like you did with First Aid.

I understand if you might be hesitant about creating more engaging content for your consumers to enjoy, considering your history with your consumers dying from playing this product for extended periods of time. But as long as you don't time-gate all that content you should be fine in that regard. If they want to just raid let them raid, instead of blocking access to it through a long chain of events or via a reputation grind. Also, try and listen more to what your community wants, instead of just deciding what we want without reading our feedback. (Read the thousands of playable Alliance High Elf threads on multiple websites for that example)

That's all I wanted to provide feedback about, if you disagree with me then please tell me why. In the meantime, I'm going back to playing rdr2, I got a carriage to rob.

as a gamer, you probably don't understand why they consider this metric good.

as a gamer, you should really focus on what you like or don't like about the game. whether YOU enjoy the game.

now, i'm not saying the health of the game doesn't matter. it does because if the game isn't healthy, it could ultimately go away.

but if blizzard is reporting to it's shareholders that the game is healthy (and based on what they presented, it is), then we are good from that standpoint.

so then it's up to use to take a step back and just focus on telling blizzard what we do and do not like about the game.

and based on what we've heard, they are planning on improving the game in many positive ways based on our feedback.
If we are being honest. I play maybe 52 hours a week. Am I a special case?
11/09/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Bombsamdi
Anymore...hardcore casuals used to have more to do, and alternative ways to progress and level.

This game has never been easier to level and progress in as it is now to the casual player. Before legion and bfa, you were pretty much capped at the gear you could possibly get by raid lock outs and caps on currency per week. And now the gearing process can RNG you up another tier or two and everything is scaling up on top of high reward quests and some really easy catch up mechanics like war fronts?

And as for leveling, you used to run out of quests to do and have to do dungeons or grind to level up at points in wow, especially in classic. Now you can level exclusively playing bgs if you want, or as our wonderful panda double agent does, just picking herbs and mining. There has never in the history of wow been more ways to level your characters up for varied different play styles. And they're even making it easier by nerfing the xp by 25% or more at pretty much every level outside of current content.

I played shortly before the drums of war patch classic is being made with and retried the demo and I was like, hrm, yep, I remember how many quests and mobs you had to kill to get one level, even at this low level point. I'm really excited to watch people try it though, I was in general having people complain that quests weren't on the map and they had to manually find and know where quest hubs were. It was fairly entertaining. I'll play it again just for the fun of it on the side but this current live game we're in, has never been more casual friendly than it is now.
11/09/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Bullcritt
11/09/2018 11:26 AMPosted by Mvura
An hour a day is a lot of gaming for the average person. Not for the seasoned game enthusiast, but we fanatics are not Blizzard's only customers.

[Citation needed]

I guess the new target demographic is people who don't like their games enough to bother logging in very often or very long.

Let's say you only game on Saturday, and you spend 6 hours straight playing. You'd be at about 52 minutes per day.

11/09/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Amine
it isn't really - i can wait 2 hours to get my car service or an hour for my medical appointment or an hour on the bus each day - if I played mobile games that time would be spending playing them.

so some people have more free time than others. okay?

11/09/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Amine
Trust the internet to have specifics on everything.

https://www.limelight.com/resources/white-paper/state-of-online-gaming-2018/

I'm not sure this is the same statistic. Is Blizzard measuring sessions or average play time per day?
11/09/2018 12:26 PMPosted by Brasch
This is a little misleading.

Here's the full quote "Players spent a record 52 minutes per day in Activision, Blizzard, and King games in the quarter."

They're averaging the numbers. This is taking into account people who play Candy Crush on their phones. Investors aren't as interested in "Hey some people play Warcraft 8 hours a day", because that number can easily have holes poked in it from a value aspect. They want to show that the entire company of ATVI is successful in increasing the amount of daily time users are spending with their products as a whole. If they don't average it out, weaker projects get axed, and the bigger projects get promoted, sometimes to their detriment. In the investment world, you want to diversify while still maintaining performance. ATVI is communicating that they've done just that.

ok this is what I wanted so they were talking about mobile games too as I figured.
11/09/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Ragingcoup
this current live game we're in, has never been more casual friendly than it is now.
That's very true.
I miss having Subs for a metric so they didn't artificially inflate time gates on everything
11/09/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Snowfox
11/09/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Bombsamdi

Anymore...hardcore casuals used to have more to do, and alternative ways to progress and level.

Eh, I don't believe wow is more or is less casual/hardcore focused than before.

Each side always claims they are being ignored and the other favored.. but.. both sides always do that, which means things are probably about in the middle - as they've always been.

11/09/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Serfbort
So if mobile gamers are logging an hour and 20 minutes a day average, and Blizzard is under that average by almost a half hour after factoring in their PC gamers who usually play more than that, what does that say?

Well one thing it says obviously and clearly to anyone not on the bash-blizzard hate train, is..

THEY SHOULD GET INTO MOBILE
I lurk in all threads involving you.
11/09/2018 01:14 PMPosted by Eberwyn
11/09/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Snowfox
Eh, I don't believe wow is more or is less casual/hardcore focused than before.

Each side always claims they are being ignored and the other favored.. but.. both sides always do that, which means things are probably about in the middle - as they've always been.

Well one thing it says obviously and clearly to anyone not on the bash-blizzard hate train, is..

THEY SHOULD GET INTO MOBILE
I lurk in all threads involving you.

so you are the stalker and here I thought it was all in their head.
11/09/2018 01:15 PMPosted by Amine
I'm not a stalker I'm a Night Elf Rogue.
11/09/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Eberwyn
11/09/2018 01:15 PMPosted by Amine
I'm not a stalker I'm a Night Elf Rogue.

that is pretty close.
11/09/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Furyeon

You're compensating for the 9 other people who logon for only 5 minutes a day. lol
11/09/2018 11:26 AMPosted by Amine
11/09/2018 10:41 AMPosted by Chilayllenn
I heard this being used as a metric to judge player enjoyment by blizzard in the conference call.

Well, as a gamer through and through I'm here to say that playing 1 hour per day is not a good metric to boast about, especially for an MMOPRG that's as old as this product. For instance in games like ESO and FFXIV my time equals to a time larger then a simple 1 hour per day, and don't get me started with how much time I spent on RDR2.

Now i'm not trying to say that you need more measures to force players into playing for longer periods of time, even though that would be a rightful assumption. No, the meat of what I'm saying here is that the content that's present in end-game as of 8.0 in BFA is so lack-luster that there is no incentive for gamers to play for longer then an hour per session because the 'content' that's there is mainly focused on WQ's and Rep-grinding. This is boring content, period.

What you want in your product is more engaging content and less 'content' that's just there to fill out time. Less Rep-grinding and World Quests and more focus on Quests (aka storylines) for players to enjoy. More maps that's filled with content for consumers to enjoy, rather then feeling lacking with content. More Raids for players to farm for mounts/xmogs/achievements. and if players are complaining that (for example) professions are useless then try and make them less useless and more enjoyable, rather then just removing them like you did with First Aid.

I understand if you might be hesitant about creating more engaging content for your consumers to enjoy, considering your history with your consumers dying from playing this product for extended periods of time. But as long as you don't time-gate all that content you should be fine in that regard. If they want to just raid let them raid, instead of blocking access to it through a long chain of events or via a reputation grind. Also, try and listen more to what your community wants, instead of just deciding what we want without reading our feedback. (Read the thousands of playable Alliance High Elf threads on multiple websites for that example)

That's all I wanted to provide feedback about, if you disagree with me then please tell me why. In the meantime, I'm going back to playing rdr2, I got a carriage to rob.

that isn't that good. I don't hate BfA but I am not really enjoying it all that much right now and I am on there more than 52 minutes a day because I have kept my gold making activities going.

“Gold making” in BFA...that is hilarious!
11/09/2018 02:02 PMPosted by Gorelight
“Gold making” in BFA...that is hilarious!

Well.

Some know how to.

Some don't.
11/09/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Stronghold
I snickered when I read that. Heck some people spend more time than that while waiting for a queue to pop.

If it's that low across the board, then Blizz has an entire line up of games where people log in for a bit, go meh, then go do something else.

Not good at all.

I spend more time pooping somedays
11/09/2018 11:26 AMPosted by Mvura
An hour a day is a lot of gaming for the average person. Not for the seasoned game enthusiast, but we fanatics are not Blizzard's only customers.

An hour a day is not an unreasonable time to spend playing video games. But an hour a day EVERY day is a lot! I consider myself a pretty active player, but I doubt if I play more than 3-4 hours a week tops.

I know there are people who play more than me and good for them. They are far better time managers than I will ever be. :)
11/09/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Furyeon

No, but your time management skills are admirable, if not extraordinary, if you can organize your time to play video games that much.
A good guild of average casual players can't clear the current raid on normal in an hour. Seems like that measure of time might be aimed at PvP.