Are Ele Shammans THAT bad?

Shaman
I want to play a caster...
I am between mage and ele shamman
But wherever i see, everyone is saying that ele's are awful, that mages are WAY better in every aspect...
But ele seems so much cooler and engaging to play then mages.....

Any sincere opinions here?
Thank you all =)
Ele shaman isnt where it was at the end of legion where majority of the fanboi jumped on and where majority of the bad stigma ele is getting stems from.

That being said Mage is and always will be better:

Control
Burst
CC

With that being said currently mage loses to ele 1 on 1.

Play style IMO ele beats mage hands down.

Currently you don't have to work for anything as mage. Burst is on demand, cc on demand, aoe on demand. Roots, snares, mobility.

Ele shaman you put in work and it can be very rewarding and heart breaking at the same time. Completely deleting someone at half health, then deleting their buddy at half health creates a feeling of joy that cannot be measured.

What you also have to keep in mind is that ele scales completely different than any other caster. Ele is like a wine or cheese. What this means is that we start off expansions slow and become stronger and stronger as the xpac moves along because of our superior stat scaling.
They're not that bad.

Ele is very easy to play and does very well in my experience.
In specific situations Ele is better than any Mage spec. The issue is that outside of these limited times, all Mage specs are much better. For example; on a single target fight with no movement Ele can do massive DPS. As soon as you add movement to a fight Mages perform better.
Ele is fine, you just have to try harder to keep up but you look way more badass when doing so.
We are ok but we have some big problems as Rdps Spec (Mobility + Low Dmg)
If you arent pushing to be in a top 500 guild, you can compete and be completely reliable and playable.

Yes, it still sucks at times. Yes other classes have it easier in many situations, as ele doesnt really have a niche.

But its a spec that if you enjoy it, and play it well..you can accomplish a lot. The stigma against shaman is 100x worse than their actual play. In my experience, the loudest people talking about dps shaman being dead are the ones that dont do high end raiding or high end mythic+..and are in content that ele sham does completely fine in.

That being said, I am looking forward to the 8.1 changes and wouldn't reroll to another class/spec as my main. Ever.
11/09/2018 06:39 PMPosted by Akston
If you arent pushing to be in a top 500 guild, you can compete and be completely reliable and playable.

Yes, it still sucks at times. Yes other classes have it easier in many situations, as ele doesnt really have a niche.

But its a spec that if you enjoy it, and play it well..you can accomplish a lot. The stigma against shaman is 100x worse than their actual play. In my experience, the loudest people talking about dps shaman being dead are the ones that dont do high end raiding or high end mythic+..and are in content that ele sham does completely fine in.

That being said, I am looking forward to the 8.1 changes and wouldn't reroll to another class/spec as my main. Ever.

I think you are missing the point that Elemental shaman has become the worse stigmata in the game. We are passed on high end content which is why some people without the proper team/guild are frustrated because we lose the ability to pug.
ele is fine for doing wqs and lower lvl content but into heroic/mythic it is very underwhelming.

pvp it is ok
You have to study the fights to capitalize on your niches, overcome social stigma, work twice as hard as a dps of lesser gearing, and will sit there pining for that one hander shield combination twice as long as anyone else. It's just not the end-game yet and we're waiting for that x.1.5-x.3.5 helping hand that always gets lost in the development cycle of the expansions.

You can come out on top after it all, and in the end will outshine them by superior scaling by the end-game.
Personally looking forward to playing ele again when 8.1 drops, can’t be much worse than shadow priest atm.
Elemental mobility complaints appear to be rooted in a developer statement that they viewed Elemental as a "turret spec." Honestly, Elemental's mobility is far better than almost any other RDPS spec. Definitely superior to Balance, Shadow, Marksman, Arcane, GS Frost, Destruction, and Demonology.

Honestly, I've been playing the game off and on for around 14 years. Hardcore raided at numerous points in the game's history. Never have I been more convinced that the community overstated and missed the mark on class balance more than when they wrote off Elemental Shaman. Their utility kit isn't just good, it's overpowered. Ridiculously overpowered. With the buffs in 8.1 you'd have to be insane not to beg any Elemental Shaman who will listen to join your raiding guild.
11/10/2018 09:06 PMPosted by Thulgrum
Elemental mobility complaints appear to be rooted in a developer statement that they viewed Elemental as a "turret spec." Honestly, Elemental's mobility is far better than almost any other RDPS spec. Definitely superior to Balance, Shadow, Marksman, Arcane, GS Frost, Destruction, and Demonology.

Honestly, I've been playing the game off and on for around 14 years. Hardcore raided at numerous points in the game's history. Never have I been more convinced that the community overstated and missed the mark on class balance more than when they wrote off Elemental Shaman. Their utility kit isn't just good, it's overpowered. Ridiculously overpowered. With the buffs in 8.1 you'd have to be insane not to beg any Elemental Shaman who will listen to join your raiding guild.

So I just looked up your raid logs.

Reread your post, you are either the most sarcastic person on the planet or so nieve that you can’t see how bad Ele is right now.

Let’s start with utility. Nope we have nothing that’s baseline that’s strong except for the oh a healer !@#$ed up on cleansing adds in zul and we can tremor, don’t even say hero, mages and hunters got it.

Mobility. What Mobility? Every class you listed has some sort of physical movement gap closer or mobility boost that does not keep them from using abilities, or they have spamable instant casts, or powerful dots, or finishers that don’t require a definitive ramp up time. During ghost wolf we can cast water walking and astral shift.....

The 8.1 buffs do look good but they aren’t doing anything like they are with enhance, but they’ve already nerfed 2 of the major changes on ptr.

TLDR if you were being sarcastic congrats you got me. Lol
11/09/2018 06:39 PMPosted by Akston

I agree with all of this. The class is not as bad as the stigma associated with it and if you're in a guild that is only pushing heroic you can still be viable.

Also in mythic plus there are moments for us to shine in our feel very useful. Underrot is a good example or Atal second boss fight. I personally think for mid to higher keys, earth elemental is a powerful cooldown to help when !@#$ hits the fan or the tank needs to kite or drop necrotic stacks.
11/11/2018 12:53 AMPosted by Omegaspirets

Reread your post, you are either the most sarcastic person on the planet or so nieve that you can’t see how bad Ele is right now.

Let’s start with utility. Nope we have nothing that’s baseline that’s strong except for the oh a healer !@#$ed up on cleansing adds in zul and we can tremor, don’t even say hero, mages and hunters got it.

Mobility. What Mobility? Every class you listed has some sort of physical movement gap closer or mobility boost that does not keep them from using abilities, or they have spamable instant casts, or powerful dots, or finishers that don’t require a definitive ramp up time. During ghost wolf we can cast water walking and astral shift.....

The 8.1 buffs do look good but they aren’t doing anything like they are with enhance, but they’ve already nerfed 2 of the major changes on ptr.

My logs are fine. I was 0/10 RoA on the Tuesday logs you're trying to criticize and 2/10 RoA on the Mythrax parse where I still managed a 91st percentile for ilvl. I play well. In fact, when I look up your logs and sort percentiles by ilvl and compare them to mine it's a total shut-out. I blow your parses out of the water. Don't try to log shame me, you don't have the skill to back it up.

If you can't recognize your class' strengths that's on you. I suggest you go see how green the grass isn't on the other side. Frankly, I'm sick of the whining about "but... but... Beastmaster and Affliction!" They aren't the only other 2 RDPS specs in the game and when you compare actual kit, Elemental Shaman's kit is outstanding. Top tier in fact, just needs some number tuning we're getting in 8.1. Fold in the more than 100% buff to Icefury and we now have the 3rd most mobile kit in the RDPS lineup after Beastmaster and Fire Mage.

Seriously, though looking at YOUR logs you'll get far more DPS out of improving your play than begging Blizzard to buff you. I can't believe you attempted to log shame someone 20 ilvls below you when your best performance average for ilvl is the 63rd percentile. Last week was my first raid week ever on Elemental this expac and with no RoA and I was 71st by ilvl. Get a grip man.
Microphone drop
11/11/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Thulgrum
11/11/2018 12:53 AMPosted by Omegaspirets

My logs are fine. I was 0/10 RoA on the Tuesday logs you're trying to criticize and 2/10 RoA on the Mythrax parse where I still managed a 91st percentile for ilvl. I play well. In fact, when I look up your logs and sort percentiles by ilvl and compare them to mine it's a total shut-out. I blow your parses out of the water. Don't try to log shame me, you don't have the skill to back it up.

If you can't recognize your class' strengths that's on you. I suggest you go see how green the grass isn't on the other side. Frankly, I'm sick of the whining about "but... but... Beastmaster and Affliction!" They aren't the only other 2 RDPS specs in the game and when you compare actual kit, Elemental Shaman's kit is outstanding. Top tier in fact, just needs some number tuning we're getting in 8.1. Fold in the more than 100% buff to Icefury and we now have the 3rd most mobile kit in the RDPS lineup after Beastmaster and Fire Mage.

Seriously, though looking at YOUR logs you'll get far more DPS out of improving your play than begging Blizzard to buff you. I can't believe you attempted to log shame someone 20 ilvls below you when your best performance average for ilvl is the 63rd percentile. Last week was my first raid week ever on Elemental this expac and with no RoA and I was 71st by ilvl. Get a grip man.

Straight up just beasted that guy. Ouch.

While I don't condone online shaming, dude had it coming with the log shaming.

I may not agree with you as far as raid utility I do agree with you on general utility especially for M+. Purge, tremor, offheals, AOE stun, earthquake interrupts (while not reliable still does provide great utility in helping tanks mitigate dmg and save on heals).
ele not bad ,but Feels Very Very clunky

and talent are just bad
Honestly, Elemental's mobility is far better than almost any other RDPS spec.
Never have I been more convinced that the community overstated and missed the mark on class balance more than when they wrote off Elemental Shaman. Their utility kit isn't just good, it's overpowered. Ridiculously overpowered.

I blow your parses out of the water. Don't try to log shame me, you don't have the skill to back it up.

If only there was a site that collected data on which classes were performing well.

Heroic uldir: ele sham 23 out of 24
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19#difficulty=4

mythic uldir: ele sham 21 out of 24
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19

Not everyone has a 370 ilvl raid willing to carry their 345 ilvl ele shaman through heroic uldir, So you can turret dummy the bosses for cheesy ilvl parses on farm bosses.

So you basically admit you haven't played ele all expansion, get carried through heroic uldir by your friends, and then head to the forums with you expert opinion.

Very useful information.
Ele is bad.

Rotations clunky
Secondary stats are crap
Talents choices are poor
Azurite traits are poor except for a couple standouts
Mobility is poor(you have to completely stop dps to be mobile)
Dmg is a joke, especially in pvp(no one likes tickling an enemy and being forced to pick up certain traits to gamble burst someone, thats just horrible class design)

Yes they want us to be a turret but we should have be damage powerhouses to offset the lack of mobility if we're standing still. We're still at the bottom.

With all the negative being said, can elemental perform? Yes it can. When you get the correct gear with the RNG gods on your side you can do decent dps in a raid. If you top the meters however, that a very telling story about everyone else in your raid not pulling their weight.

The community now knows and see's elemental as the worst dps class. You will be constantly rejected from pug groups/raids. So have some friends that can carry you through stuff. 8.1 doesn't change the core problems with the spec or the dps enough for us to move up in the dps rankings. Testings been done on PTR and nothing much changes there. A spec should be fluid and feel good BEFORE talent choices. Then you should pick talents that either compliment that playstyle or changes it up. Right now, we have to pick talents just to make the spec feel good. Thats wrong.

In the end, play what you want as long as its fun to you.