New forums = George Orwell's 1984?

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
    Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Sounds like a mixture of Orwellian "Big Brother is watching" as well as Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode that depicts a society where everything you do is dictated by your rating.

Thoughts?
Considering it's a private organization overseeing a community in which you participate voluntarily, for which there are zero consequences for not participating in, that's a stretch.
/facepalm
I mean. How is this different than most forums that exist?

People just try so hard to complain nowadays.
Nothing about that sounds like Big Brother. It is a friggen internet forum. It is their job to watch.
Removing the dislike button is a bad call. I should be able to silently disagree with your (most likely) terrible opinion or statement without backing it up with my own.
Don't get me wrong folks, I am happy a system like downvoting is returning. But still, seems very Draconian to me.
Let me guess... you've heard of the book, maybe read a few passages... and that's why you're making the comparison, hm?

That really doesn't sound that different from the system we already have. It's called having tools to assist moderation.
Where's my tinfoil hat?
11/11/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Viscaro
Thoughts?

Don't trash post and you'll be fine.
11/11/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Viscaro
Don't get me wrong folks, I am happy a system like downvoting is returning. But still, seems very Draconian to me.

How is anything you said harsh or excessive? Good people get rewarded and bad people don't get to be terrible. Sounds pretty alright in my book.
11/11/2018 11:13 PMPosted by Shudder
Thoughts?

Just the question of whom decides what is and is not trash?
I can't wait to link memes with embedded images.
Thoughts?
I had a thought about Alexstrasza wearing nothing but a jam sandwich.
You have to admit that the "Trust Levels" is just a little overboard.

Who decides what is "trash"? Is negative feedback going to be considered trash from now on?

The flagging system, already being abused on the Overwatch board, is coming.
These new fourms are going to suck................
It's basically like aliens invaded while the AI took over and corporations ruled the world and we were all watched by nanite surveillance devices while bodysnatchers replaced our brains and cats stared at us judgingly so that the evil extradimensional gods of chaos mega mecha brain would finally enter this universe and claim it for its dark hunger.
How does the trust system work? Is that like a social credit score? Can it go up and down or just up?
11/11/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Älexandra
it is.

most far left leaning people support things like these, true thought policing.

blizzard being a californian company, it's gonna be filled with far left types.

it's a good problem. authoritarianism is on the rise, as well as corporatism as you will learn from the responses you will get. they will be disgusted that you dare to question your corporate masters.
oh boy its ya boi politicssss