New forums = George Orwell's 1984?

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 26 Next
The First Amendment

There is not now, nor has there ever been a "Freedom of Speech" in the delusional fashion which the OP and many of his supporters argue for. We have Libel Laws, as well as Copyright and Trademark protection laws. That these laws exist at all shows that you cannot just say anything you want any time you want.

Cities and states in America restrict your ability to say and write and display anything you want any time you want. There are obscenity laws about what you can display on a magazine cover, or publish. There are city ordinances in many resort towns that allow for cursing and obscene language to be fined. There are laws in most states that forbid advertising of cigarettes and alcohol within one hundred yards of a school or place of worship.

More to the point, a private institution on their private website is allowed to restrict anything it wishes. If they chose to, Blizzard could exercise it's First Amendment Right to freely express their dislike of My Little Pony by banning anyone who posted anything about it. And it would be 100% legal.

So quit the false patriotism, you do not understand Constitution and sound as if you have never even read the First Amendment. As I pointed out before, the OP did not even understand that the Constitution has been amended 27 times.

Edit
And by "We have libel laws" I mean the entire world does. There are international treaties that cover the protection of copyrights, trademarks, and fight libel and plagiarism. But the rest mostly applies in the US.
Careful comrade, dissension will lower your social credit score.

“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
I'm glad they are focusing on such important things like this instead of providing engaging game play and fixing that steaming smelly turd called BFA.
11/12/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Jimrockford
I'm glad they are focusing on such important things like this instead of providing engaging game play and fixing that steaming smelly turd called BFA.

Good point. Because the person that deals with the forums is the same one that designs and implements gameplay mechanics.
I think is a bad comparison, but your point is valid OP, it's hilarious how this company is managing the increasing criticism, like asking if we have phones and later blaming Trump for being booed, now they are just going to form an army of white knights to pretend everything is fine and censor other opinions. But they will accomplish nothing, people will complain in different places. But now we know exactly what are we dealing with.
#notmyblizzard
11/12/2018 10:10 AMPosted by Fathercow
I think is a bad comparison, but your point is valid OP, it's hilarious how this company is managing the increasing criticism, like asking if we have phones and later blaming Trump for being booed, now they are just going to form an army of white knights to pretend everything is fine and censor other opinions. But they will accomplish nothing, people will complain in different places. But now we know exactly what are we dealing with.
#notmyblizzard

Calm down.

You will still be able to be critical of blizzard on the new forums, just like you can on these forums.
But what happens when some people give me tons of likes and some people report everything I say? Will the new forums tell people “stay away from that High Elf, they’re always right!” or something?
11/12/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Joyeuse
But what happens when some people give me tons of likes and some people report everything I say? Will the new forums tell people “stay away from that High Elf, they’re always right!” or something?
OOoo. I like your name. Wish I had thought of it.
11/11/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Jim
11/11/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Viscaro
Thoughts?
I had a thought about Alexstrasza wearing nothing but a jam sandwich.

Just don't get any on her armor set, she still has the most awesome set of armor any npc ever donned.
it'll just give the forums a false state of positiveness.
when in reality things will be just as dark.

it's like putting make-up on a wound if you ask me.
11/11/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Viscaro
    Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Sounds like a mixture of Orwellian "Big Brother is watching" as well as Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode that depicts a society where everything you do is dictated by your rating.

Thoughts?
I think that the forum will be a better representation of what the majority of people actually think. Instead of the current crazy people with a megaphone.
I honestly doubt a whole lot will change. People will still write posts that complain, people will still write posts that don't. Seems to me the best course of action is continue behaving and you wont have problems.
Sounds like a popularity contest, with Blizz giving advantages to those who stroke the Blizz often and well.
OP definitely failed his 1984 book report in high school.

I mean they're basically C+P'ing the Overwatch forums.

But I mean yeah, lets get the dude whose job it is to handle the technical aspects of the forum to handle balance instead. His skillset works perfectly for that!

11/12/2018 10:21 AMPosted by Gunny
Sounds like a popularity contest, with Blizz giving advantages to those who stroke the Blizz often and well.

The trust system is based purely off how often you visit the forums and how much you engage.

What opinion you hold is completely irrelevant.

11/12/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Joyeuse

Your likes will show up on a little forum profile like this:

http://puu.sh/C0DS6/11ec3f61e8.jpg

Your reports if they aren't valid will be ignored and nothing will happen to you, as the system still currently works.
11/12/2018 10:10 AMPosted by Fathercow
#notmyblizzard

What happened at Blizzcon with Diablo sucks a lot. It has nothing to do with the forum rollout though.

-Overwatch got the software in Feb 2018.
-HotS summer 2018
-HS was scheduled for Oct 2018 but got delayed
-WoW Nov 2018
-D3 and SC2 yet to come but will migrate.

We have know the plan to put all the forums on the same Discorse software now for over a year. You really can't conflate the long planned software update with recent issues like BfA or Diablo.

11/12/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Akston
Calm down.

You will still be able to be critical of blizzard on the new forums, just like you can on these forums.

Correct. You just can't break the forum rules while doing it (profanity, harassment, name calling, spamming, threats, etc.).
11/12/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Akston

Good point. Because the person that deals with the forums is the same one that designs and implements gameplay mechanics.

You know, that might work. Do you think they'd listen and let Paul and Tina focus on just one aspect of the company?

C'mon folks... for Paul and Tina! For AZEROTH!
Exactly. Who determines the trust thing?

These systems will create an army of yes-men, and curb creativity, critique, and humour. So many flame/troll posts are funny, and in good spirit. But all it takes is one stick in the mud to deem it "inappropriate" or misconstrue what was said...

I happen to agree, but I also understand why Blizzard is going in this direction. Yet I don't want to go to the forums and see all those "YES-MEN", I want to hear both sides of the issue. I think with this trust feature it might discourage some negative opinions.
11/12/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Awkward

So to reiterate, do you have any specific grievance? Or are you just airing your concerns about a system you don't fully understand? I genuinely don't mean that in a bad way. There is nothing wrong about ignorance so long as you're willing to remedy that ignorance.

This topic is a new topic to me as I had never been banned anywhere I have ever posted. I try to be respectful sprinkled with Sarcasm and playfulness. Its something I have been commenting on recently and I was adding my opinion on the current system to the new system discussion.

My specific grievances:
1 ban. For posting a partial transcript of Onyxia wipe animation. As a part of a joke comment saying I was going to use this as my tank intro message . I thought it was a funny joke. Huge meme even outside WoW, I had no idea people in WoW had no idea what that was. No curse words, an F followed by %^*&^ in EVERY instance. I figured it plays in the raid now, it would be ok on the forums. Not true. I thought people would like the humor - many did. Some didnt and reported me for being rude to non-tanks. Some responses later wanted to know where this meme was since they felt left out of it.

1 ban. For posting in a Political thread. About Censorship. I included the link to the filthy 15 (in the 80s) a list of songs so "horrible" they had to be banned. Today people listen to them with their kids. When I appealed, my ban was for including Mrs. Gore (since Tipper was seen at the forefront of banning music in the 80s). So apparently a right leaning post about the wife of a political figure from 30-40 years ago is enough for a ban.

1 ban. I made a post title Casuals are ruining WoW ?. Question mark. This was a question. I commented that WoW has always been designed for casuals ( I can reference the devs interviews from Computer Gaming World before WoW Launched. As an EQ player, as well as a Diablo and Warcraft player. I followed its design well. Half of the responses failed to note the ? and accused me of stating "Casuals are ruining WoW !". I clarified my response and stated I am a casual and not sating casuals are ruining WoW. Again, I pointed to the original post saying WoW had been designed for casuals from the beginning. Others jumped in and tried to correct the flaggers, asking the to re-read the post and look at the question mark. They were met with hatred saying I hate casuals and specifically that I stated "Casuals are ruining WoW". I didnt even try to appeal the ban since my history with WoW is the mods do not agree with me.

Again no hatred, no ranting, raving or spewing of hatred. At worst light hearted tongue in cheek fun. No calling people out by name. No threats.

I learned anything said on these forums that is not 100% serious, will be seen as serious and will offend someone. And they will complain. and Blizzard will back the oh so offended. I am not stupid not blind. I can call out my own failings. I had one ban that got heated and I called Nathanos a currently popular name about men whose women control them. I agree I crossed the line on that one and deserved the ban. The others, not so much.

in b4 the obligatory that doesnt happen. You are leaving something out. No I am not. Thats the truth and its why I now argue against the bans...
11/12/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Fenril
Exactly. Who determines the trust thing?

These systems will create an army of yes-men, and curb creativity, critique, and humour. So many flame/troll posts are funny, and in good spirit. But all it takes is one stick in the mud to deem it "inappropriate" or misconstrue what was said...

I happen to agree, but I also understand why Blizzard is going in this direction. Yet I don't want to go to the forums and see all those "YES-MEN", I want to hear both sides of the issue.

Then you should be for this. The "NO-MEN" before had a lot more free reign to just troll and spam and attack instead of having discussions.

Without that, we can have more ACTUAL discussions instead of just hearing "lol shut up shill" and such.