New forums = George Orwell's 1984?

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 26 Next
11/11/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Decoy
Removing the dislike button is a bad call. I should be able to silently disagree with your (most likely) terrible opinion or statement without backing it up with my own.

Many more people feel as you do than you have likes for your comment about it.
11/12/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Fenril

I happen to agree, but I also understand why Blizzard is going in this direction. Yet I don't want to go to the forums and see all those "YES-MEN", I want to hear both sides of the issue.

Then you should be for this. The "NO-MEN" before had a lot more free reign to just troll and spam and attack instead of having discussions.

Without that, we can have more ACTUAL discussions instead of just hearing "lol shut up shill" and such.

I agree we shouldn't be hearing "shut up shill" or crap that does not add to the discussion. But I still want to hear both sides of the issue without the posters feeling they might lose some 'trust' points.
This is what you get for not cheering Immortal, citizens.
Dissension is bad for your social credit score.
Enjoy your many future forum vacations.
11/12/2018 10:31 AMPosted by Fenril
I agree we shouldn't be hearing "shut up shill" or crap that does not add to the discussion. But I still want to hear both sides of the issue without the posters feeling they might lose some 'trust' points.

Well we also want to hear both sides of the issue without posters feeling they're just going to get ganged up on/harassed by a hateful mob too.

That's one of the problems here.. the "I just want to make a negative complaint" crowd has gotten all mixed up with the "fire the devs you all suck u shills f u" crowd.
The trust system is based purely off how often you visit the forums and how much you engage.

What opinion you hold is completely irrelevant.

Taken from an article about the Trust System in the Overwatch forums:

"This is due to the new ‘trust’ system that Blizzard has built into the Overwatch forums, which requires posters earn their right to embed images, gifs and videos to their posts and even contribute to the wiki page. Players who contribute regularly with informative, active and respectful posts will see an increase in their trust level, while those that troll, spam or post disrespectful comments will see their trust level drop."

It absolutely IS a popularity contest. Voice an opinion that the majority disagrees with and how many 'likes' will that get you? How often will anything even perceived as rude or disrespectful get reported?

Everyone will be posting like Metrohaha to get their trust level up, because you can bet forum mods will have a knob to turn on who get level increased.

Too funny.
11/12/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Akston
Calm down.

You will still be able to be critical of blizzard on the new forums, just like you can on these forums.

Correct. You just can't break the forum rules while doing it (profanity, harassment, name calling, spamming, threats, etc.).

No, you won't get likes, you won't move up the ladder. You might get voted off the island if you don't play the game. They're creating a virtual 'safe place' where nobody gets their feelings hurt.

It's apparently not enough to give forum vacations to rule breakers. They want to turn everyone into little Blizzard cheerleaders.
I will be flagging every shill I see who irrationally defends stupidity.
11/12/2018 10:47 AMPosted by Monsterskill

.. and I'll be reporting everyone calling other people shills.

I guess we'll see how that all shakes out in the end.
11/12/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Brewenor
This topic is a new topic to me as I had never been banned anywhere I have ever posted. I try to be respectful sprinkled with Sarcasm and playfulness. Its something I have been commenting on recently and I was adding my opinion on the current system to the new system discussion.

Fair enough my dude. While obviously I don't have the transcripts for the exact reasoning behind your ban, I'll surmise.

1) Blizzard doesn't allow swearing on the forums, even if it's censored. Technically they don't allow it in-game, stating that a language filter doesn't mean you're allowed to have a free-for-all with cursing and slurs.

2) Threads not about WoW (or other Blizzard things) aren't allowed in General Discussion. They're pretty loose with many things, like discussing non-Blizzard games, but political threads get nuked fast and hard. I can't exactly say why you were banned here specifically as I don't have your post to understand how you referred to Tipper Gore, but I've never pushed the boundaries regarding political threads personally, so I can't give you a definitive "what is and isn't allowed" suggestion.

3) All I can surmise is the language you used. Casuals are definitely a touchy subject on the forums. I've been fairly vocal against many "casual" aspects of the game, especially a few years back, but I've never been banned for it, since I ensure I don't break any rules when posting in those threads.

Language is probably the biggest stumbling block on the forums in terms of moderation, since while swearing and slurs are fairly obviously a no-go, if you're unlucky a mod will get you for even mild insults, like calling someones idea dumb.

11/12/2018 10:28 AMPosted by Brewenor
in b4 the obligatory that doesnt happen. You are leaving something out. No I am not. Thats the truth and its why I now argue against the bans...

I believe you. I've been banned for things that are mild, like calling someones idea dumb.

It happens. But it's like jaywalking or going 5 over the speed limit. It's technically breaking the rules, and many officers don't care, but occasionally you'll get a stickler who does.

Really the trick is to understand what subjects are touchy and toe the line in those areas.

That is a great way to end up with a forum account action. Just because you disagree with someone, is not a reason to report them. Save the reports for actual forum violations. Post your disagreement with someone using text and state why. Try to be rational and have a discussion. Do not insult the person or attack them.
11/12/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Gunny
11/12/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Akston
Calm down.

You will still be able to be critical of blizzard on the new forums, just like you can on these forums.

Correct. You just can't break the forum rules while doing it (profanity, harassment, name calling, spamming, threats, etc.).

No, you won't get likes, you won't move up the ladder. You might get voted off the island if you don't play the game. They're creating a virtual 'safe place' where nobody gets their feelings hurt.

It's apparently not enough to give forum vacations to rule breakers. They want to turn everyone into little Blizzard cheerleaders.

Except the games that have already implemented the new forum set up..literally have people on them that criticize Blizzard.
11/12/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Gunny
"This is due to the new ‘trust’ system that Blizzard has built into the Overwatch forums, which requires posters earn their right to embed images, gifs and videos to their posts and even contribute to the wiki page. Players who contribute regularly with informative, active and respectful posts will see an increase in their trust level, while those that troll, spam or post disrespectful comments will see their trust level drop."

I know how the system works. Do you wanna know why those that troll, spam or post disrespectful things see their trust level drop?

Because they get banned.

Being banned is literally the only thing that can negatively impact trust level, and even then that's not a surefire thing as I've seen some people lose their level 3 on the Overwatch forums after being banned, and some people still have it.

Chances are that even if you post unpopular things, you'll still get an upvote or two. People hand em out like candy. Just look at the post on the first page lamenting the loss of a dislike button on the new forums when the one we're using hasn't had a dislike button in what, a year? And yet he's gotten almost 40 upvotes despite posting something hilariously wrong.

Your opinion has literally zero impact on whether you get level 3 or not, so long as you can toe the line when expressing your opinion.

Fair enough my dude. While obviously I don't have the transcripts for the exact reasoning behind your ban, I'll surmise.

I believe you. I've been banned for things that are mild, like calling someones idea dumb.

It happens. But it's like jaywalking or going 5 over the speed limit. It's technically breaking the rules, and many officers don't care, but occasionally you'll get a stickler who does.

Really the trick is to understand what subjects are touchy and toe the line in those areas.

1) I have an honest question here. If I say (Edit before ban) ***** (not using the profanity filter - typing out F followed by other characters), is enough for a ban? If so you have explained more than my Mod did. I dont like cursing as a general rule but again, I thought it conveyed the idiocy of that Raid leader and I thought it would have been funny

2) Yeah I see the issue with political threads. My bad comment was "Thanks Mrs. Gore" a take on the Classic "Thanks Obama" joke meme. My mod said they cant say what happens to other players, but they implied anyone who responded in the thread got banned. I get it, it happens. Not fun though.

3) The hardest part of this one is that I see people spewing hatred against casuals and it stays up for weeks. If you argue WoW has always been for casuals (with proper citation), and that casuals are good for the game (like I did), than the ban comes in. Its like the MODs believe the attitude casuals ruin game is the default setting and disagreeing gets a ban.

These are why I argue so hard against bans. I dont take something like a ban lightly. I try hard to toe lines and do the right thing. Maybe I am too emo, but I dont take a ban lightly. Having 4 in a month really got me questioning whether I should stay in this game. I do the forums at work to pass the time when I am slow. I like to joke and have fun. All I can say is that if my idea of fun is so offensive, maybe I DONT belong here. I am sure others feel the same way.

Does it help or hurt Blizzard if people like me simply decide its not worth coming back here?

1) I have an honest question here. If I say ***** (not using the profanity filter - typing out F followed by other characters), is enough for a ban?

That is considered "MASKED PROFANITY", I was suspended for a day or two about 4-5 years ago for something like that.
11/12/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Cairnage
1) I have an honest question here. If I say F ^#&@^ (not using the profanity filter - typing out F followed by other characters), is enough for a ban? If so you have explained more than my Mod did. I dont like cursing as a general rule but again, I thought it conveyed the idiocy of that Raid leader and I thought it would have been funny

Banned? No. Suspension, yes. Profanity of any sort, including masked, can result in a suspension. That one is pretty much black and white.

2) Yeah I see the issue with political threads. My bad comment was "Thanks Mrs. Gore" a take on the Classic "Thanks Obama" joke meme. My mod said they cant say what happens to other players, but they implied anyone who responded in the thread got banned. I get it, it happens. Not fun though.

Just avoid topics like politics and religion on the forums or in game. It tends to be flame bait and really causes issues. Same reason etiquette advice suggests avoiding it at holiday dinners.

3) The hardest part of this one is that I see people spewing hatred against casuals and it stays up for weeks. If you argue WoW has always been for casuals (with proper citation), and that casuals are good for the game (like I did), than the ban comes in. Its like the MODs believe the attitude casuals ruin game is the default setting and disagreeing gets a ban.

That sounds odd. I would have to see the post in question and the context. If it really did not violate the rules then you should have appealed the suspension.
I'm hoping the new forums will be more like Van Halen's 1984 - *shreds on air guitar* Panama! Panama-a- ah! . . .
11/12/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Gloriosity
I believe this will help alleviate these kinds of threads.

Back in my day, forums were strictly moderated, and random arguments/personal attacks were met with swift suspensions/bans.

This forum is polluted with nothing but that. I hope this new forums combats that behavior.

There are plenty of places on the internet to sit and be awful to people. The WoW forums shouldn't be one of those places.
I am 100% with you on this!
Well, looks to me like any post offering legitimate concerns of the direction of the game will be flagged and those people who would eat trash out of Blizzard's dumpsters will be rewarded for being loyal acolytes.

Nothing new here, this seems to be the way all digital media, forums, and communication is going. Echo chamber only folks, don't like it or have an opinion? Be silenced.
11/12/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Drsukiyaki
Well, looks to me like any post offering legitimate concerns of the direction of the game will be flagged and those people who would eat trash out of Blizzard's dumpsters will be rewarded for being loyal acolytes.

No, any post that can't offer legitimate concerns calmly, rationally, and with respect to the rest of the community will be flagged.

Legitimate criticism will be fine. In fact, I suspect we'll see quite a lot of it as people test the waters.
11/12/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Snowfox

.. and I'll be reporting everyone calling other people shills.

I guess we'll see how that all shakes out in the end.

I guess we will.