New forums = George Orwell's 1984?

General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 26 Next
11/12/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Monsterskill
11/12/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Snowfox
.. and I'll be reporting everyone calling other people shills.

I guess we'll see how that all shakes out in the end.

I guess we will.

Nods and harumphs.
11/12/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Gunny
The trust system is based purely off how often you visit the forums and how much you engage.

What opinion you hold is completely irrelevant.

Taken from an article about the Trust System in the Overwatch forums:

"This is due to the new ‘trust’ system that Blizzard has built into the Overwatch forums, which requires posters earn their right to embed images, gifs and videos to their posts and even contribute to the wiki page. Players who contribute regularly with informative, active and respectful posts will see an increase in their trust level, while those that troll, spam or post disrespectful comments will see their trust level drop."

It absolutely IS a popularity contest. Voice an opinion that the majority disagrees with and how many 'likes' will that get you? How often will anything even perceived as rude or disrespectful get reported?

Everyone will be posting like Metrohaha to get their trust level up, because you can bet forum mods will have a knob to turn on who get level increased.

Too funny.
So you quoted one thing and said another. The contrast is between informative and respectful versus trolling and disrespectful. Agreement has nothing to do with it.
11/12/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Ohgodmyeyes
11/12/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Drsukiyaki
Well, looks to me like any post offering legitimate concerns of the direction of the game will be flagged and those people who would eat trash out of Blizzard's dumpsters will be rewarded for being loyal acolytes.

No, any post that can't offer legitimate concerns calmly, rationally, and with respect to the rest of the community will be flagged.

Legitimate criticism will be fine. In fact, I suspect we'll see quite a lot of it as people test the waters.

I got a forum ban for politely asking if we should do a level squish and what wuld be the consequences. The whiteknights flagged it as trolling (troll bait). It was a good, honest, and respectful conversation that all-the-sudden was 404'd and I got a ban. Blizzard returned by rights upon reviewing.

I know how it will go. I have already seen the abuse here and this isn't nearly as bad as it will be.
11/12/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Mirasol
11/12/2018 10:47 AMPosted by Monsterskill
I will be flagging every shill I see who irrationally defends stupidity.

That is a great way to end up with a forum account action. Just because you disagree with someone, is not a reason to report them. Save the reports for actual forum violations. Post your disagreement with someone using text and state why. Try to be rational and have a discussion. Do not insult the person or attack them.

It’s how we debate in real life now, and social media.
From what I have read, that will be to your detriment as many of your flags will be false and therefore getting you in trouble.
It's to promote !@#-kissing.
    Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Paranoia pure simple lol

or genius, like me grin

Sounds like a mixture of Orwellian "Big Brother is watching" as well as Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode that depicts a society where everything you do is dictated by your rating.

Thoughts?
Blizzard wants NPCs to post correctly. The new liberal paradise is everyone falling in line and eating when they are told to eat.
11/11/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Viscaro
    Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Sounds like a mixture of Orwellian "Big Brother is watching" as well as Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode that depicts a society where everything you do is dictated by your rating.

Thoughts?

Paranoia pure and simple

or genius like me grin
11/12/2018 06:30 AMPosted by Yellöwböze
"My god, the WoW community is so toxic"

"These forums are filled with nothing but toxic comments"

-Blizz tries to implement something to fix this-

"So stupid, can Blizz get anything right??"

GD in a nutshell.

"toxic" is just a word that authoritarians use to try to sway public opinion towards censorship.

the people that cry "toxic" are them selves the most dangerous to discussion.
11/12/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Drsukiyaki
Well, looks to me like any post offering legitimate concerns of the direction of the game will be flagged and those people who would eat trash out of Blizzard's dumpsters will be rewarded for being loyal acolytes.

Nothing new here, this seems to be the way all digital media, forums, and communication is going. Echo chamber only folks, don't like it or have an opinion? Be silenced.
See though, I can disagree with your statement (which I do) and not flag it as trolling but you had to say "those people who would eat trash out of Blizzard's dumpsters will be rewarded for being loyal acolytes." Do you really not understand why I would flag that as insulting or why Blizzard would not want that tone pervading the forums?

Here's the civil way to say the same thing:
I feel that Blizzard will reward the people who always agree with them while offering legitimate criticism about the direction of the game is going to get a person flagged.
So will we be able to be critical of others forum posters and decisions made by the WoW team that we don't agree with ?

Will being critical cause us to have a lower trust level or have it lowered over time , preventing us from posting more.

If this happens it is no longer a forum where people can voice their various thoughts on the game but a safe space where anything that the powers that be over there come up be it good or bad will be echoed by their white knights and any dissenting views will be pushed aside whether they are valid or not.
11/12/2018 11:41 AMPosted by Älexandra
the people that cry "toxic" are them selves the most dangerous to discussion.

I dunno, I use the word toxic because the actual word I'd like to use for that type of behavior isn't permitted on the forums.
11/12/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Mirayla
[quote]
    Trust Levels

Flagging

Paranoia pure simple lol

or genius, like me grin

Thoughts?

dammit I hate when I get the forum bug so glad its all getting dumped. Clean slate yay
11/12/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Waidmann
So will we be able to be critical of others forum posters and decisions made by the WoW team that we don't agree with ?

I reckon about half of my 3300ish posts on the OW forums are me complaining about balance and I haven't lost my level 3 for that.

So yeah, I'd imagine so.

Like it's been stated multiple times, "trust" is more a measurement of how much you use the forums, not your opinions on the forums.
Wow, and its forums should of died instead of Stan Lee. He actually mattered.
Pathfinder: Forums Edition!

*coming soon
11/12/2018 11:46 AMPosted by Jovix
Pathfinder: Forums Edition!

*coming soon

Will you people stop giving them bad ideas
11/12/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Ohgodmyeyes
I dunno, I use the word toxic because the actual word I'd like to use for that type of behavior isn't permitted on the forums.

congratulations on being part of the problem?

from the 90's through the early to mid 00's, nobody gave a crap. that's the way it should be.

but then offense culture took over, and now it's "toxicity" everywhere, authoritarian children unable to cope with mean words due to their parent's coddling.

if it were up to me, i'd give them something worse than mean words to fear for their authoritarianism.
11/12/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Snowfox
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I guess we will.

Nods and harumphs.

farts and walks away

11/12/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Mirasol

That is a great way to end up with a forum account action. Just because you disagree with someone, is not a reason to report them. Save the reports for actual forum violations. Post your disagreement with someone using text and state why. Try to be rational and have a discussion. Do not insult the person or attack them.

boo hoo