New forums = George Orwell's 1984?

General Discussion
Prev 1 13 14 15 26 Next
11/12/2018 10:50 AMPosted by Akston
Except the games that have already implemented the new forum set up..literally have people on them that criticize Blizzard.

...and how many of those players get to post pictures and videos?
11/12/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Älexandra
11/12/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Ohgodmyeyes
I dunno, I use the word toxic because the actual word I'd like to use for that type of behavior isn't permitted on the forums.

congratulations on being part of the problem?

from the 90's through the early to mid 00's, nobody gave a crap. that's the way it should be.

but then offense culture took over, and now it's "toxicity" everywhere, authoritarian children unable to cope with mean words due to their parent's coddling.

if it were up to me, i'd give them something worse than mean words to fear for their authoritarianism.

As a child of the 70s it sickens me in the way people today accept authoritarianism regardless of where its from. I rebelled against it than and I still do today. Now our kids rebel against us by embracing it.

The pendulum swings.... and the wheel turns.
Nods and harumphs.

farts and walks away

11/12/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Mirasol

That is a great way to end up with a forum account action. Just because you disagree with someone, is not a reason to report them. Save the reports for actual forum violations. Post your disagreement with someone using text and state why. Try to be rational and have a discussion. Do not insult the person or attack them.

boo hoo
We're going to miss you after tomorrow monsterskill.
11/12/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Solarwynds
So you quoted one thing and said another. The contrast is between informative and respectful versus trolling and disrespectful. Agreement has nothing to do with it.

Except when you bring 'likes' into the equation. Who determines what is trolling? Disrespectful? Just Blizzard patting people on the head who agree with them.
11/12/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Drsukiyaki
Well, looks to me like any post offering legitimate concerns of the direction of the game will be flagged and those people who would eat trash out of Blizzard's dumpsters will be rewarded for being loyal acolytes.

Nothing new here, this seems to be the way all digital media, forums, and communication is going. Echo chamber only folks, don't like it or have an opinion? Be silenced.

How does it seem to you? What are you basing this off of?

It completely contradicts 100% of evidence that we have.
11/12/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Gunny
11/12/2018 10:50 AMPosted by Akston
Except the games that have already implemented the new forum set up..literally have people on them that criticize Blizzard.

...and how many of those players get to post pictures and videos?

Sorry. Did not realize we were moving the goal lines. I thought we were talking about specifically how the new forums won't allow people to be critical of Blizzard.

Did you want to completely change gears and talk about this new topic?
11/12/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Brewenor
As a child of the 70s it sickens me in the way people today accept authoritarianism regardless of where its from. I rebelled against it than and I still do today. Now our kids rebel against us by embracing it.

There's a difference between authoritarianism and not condoning people being jerks to each other.

I'd much rather slug someone for shooting their mouth off, but since that isn't an option online, I'll settle for the adequate enforcement of rules in communities like this one.
11/12/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Gunny
11/12/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Solarwynds
So you quoted one thing and said another. The contrast is between informative and respectful versus trolling and disrespectful. Agreement has nothing to do with it.

Except when you bring 'likes' into the equation. Who determines what is trolling? Disrespectful? Just Blizzard patting people on the head who agree with them.
Well, you might have a point there. I, myself, try to be objective about reporting but I cannot claim to be successful all the time. Its not that I know when I am reporting for personal reasons but I am not egotistical enough to assume I never do so.

Hopefully most people care more about discussion than pettiness.
11/12/2018 11:42 AMPosted by Ohgodmyeyes
I dunno, I use the word toxic because the actual word I'd like to use for that type of behavior isn't permitted on the forums.

from the 90's through the early to mid 00's, nobody gave a crap. that's the way it should be.

but then offense culture took over, and now it's "toxicity" everywhere, authoritarian children unable to cope with mean words due to their parent's coddling.

if it were up to me, i'd give them something worse than mean words to fear for their authoritarianism.

This. And since speech policing and shaming is the new "thing" the kids are into, they will obviously abuse it to shut down any political opinion they feel has "triggered" them, like Sylvanas being portrayed as a villain or something. Just like Google, Facebook, Twitter, and so on. Blizzard, obviously, wants in on the "Big Brother" scheme, so they can shut up people critical of their mobile garbage or of Activision's money lust.

The pendulum swings.... and the wheel turns.

To be fair, I think most people have a misguided view on what authoritarianism is.
11/12/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Akston
To be fair, I think most people have a misguided view on what authoritarianism is.

It's kind of a common thing for the younger generation to pass through the "I'm a rebel and freedom fighter and fighting the system" phase. It's almost healthy that we have that as a part of growing up. Later they'll enter the "creator" phase where they want to build things, not just consume them. Everything gets a lot more complex after that.
11/12/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Ohgodmyeyes

There's a difference between authoritarianism and not condoning people being jerks to each other.

I'd much rather slug someone for shooting their mouth off, but since that isn't an option online, I'll settle for the adequate enforcement of rules in communities like this one.

I can understand your opinion. I just cant ever agree to run to someone else to fight my battle for me. Ill win or lose on my wit alone. Often times more lose than win, but I did it on my own.

FYI - Notice I never said I support jerks? I just dont support running to the authorities. LOL snitches get stitches :D (yes that is a a sarcastic joke)
11/11/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Viscaro
    Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Sounds like a mixture of Orwellian "Big Brother is watching" as well as Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode that depicts a society where everything you do is dictated by your rating.

Thoughts?

You will be assimilated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtEaR1JU-ps

Authoritarians often use the latter to justify the former. The N@zis did it, the USSR did it, China does it...

Who gets to decide what is being "rude" or is "hate speech"? Who gets to differentiate that from "genuine" criticism?

I'd much rather slug someone for shooting their mouth off

In other words, shutting them up for saying "mean" things. That's the very definition of authoritarian behavior. Someone shouldn't be shut up for saying something that makes some feel uncomfortable, it's why "comedy" is dying these days, outside of South Park.
It's probably overdue for a crackdown.
This is what happens when you allow the left to moderate anything. The thought police are getting more action every day and now far leftist posters think they are the newest and brightest deputies.
11/12/2018 12:25 PMPosted by Brewenor
Ill win or lose on my wit alone.

There's no winning or losing with verbal abuse -- an argument, sure. But not abuse.

With abuse, you either abuse back, ignore the abuse, or someone intervenes.

Abusing back is bad, ignoring it perpetuates it, and that only leaves us with intervention.
11/11/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Cyouskin
I can't wait to link memes with embedded images.

I wonder if our "ignore user" will carry to the new forums.
/dons tinfoil hat

somewhere, at the end of this whole "people shouldn't be able to say mean things" is a bunch of religious fanatics, just chomping at the bit to take over the edit button, and oh how easy it will be since you will have already cowed the population into tip-toeing carefully around all the willing floor mats.
Sounds like FF14 forums.... eww.