New forums = George Orwell's 1984?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
11/11/2018 11:43 PMPosted by Älexandra
11/11/2018 11:37 PMPosted by Lettuceprey
Leftists are fundamentally totalitarian in nature.

i am quite socially liberal myself, being bi and... something secret.

but what i am not for, is the stifling of free expression and speech. i do NOT respect the rights of companies to do it, either.

Yeah.. we never had free speech here though.

Like, I get the whole 'it's a concept not just a government law'... but.. this isn't really in the end a free speech battleground. It's forums for a video game and if players can't control themselves - the mods will.
Every now and then a thread makes me wish I had a properly working sarcasm detector :(
11/11/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Älexandra
it is.

most far left leaning people support things like these, true thought policing.

blizzard being a californian company, it's gonna be filled with far left types.

it's a big problem. authoritarianism is on the rise, as well as corporatism as you will learn from the responses you will get. they will be disgusted that you dare to question your corporate masters.

Extremists are fundamentally totalitarian in nature.

FTFY
but what i am not for, is the stifling of free expression and speech. i do NOT respect the rights of companies to do it, either.
then you oughta read up on free speech or whatever you think it is
11/11/2018 11:45 PMPosted by Snowfox

Like, I get the whole 'it's a concept not just a government law'... but.. this isn't really in the end a free speech battleground. It's forums for a video game and if players can't control themselves - the mods will.

like i said, i do not respect the rights of companies to make such decisions.

if it were up to me, it'd be illegal.
11/11/2018 11:47 PMPosted by Älexandra

Well okay.. but.. it's not up to you.. it's not illegal, and it's how it's been since day 1
11/11/2018 11:37 PMPosted by Lettuceprey
Leftists are fundamentally totalitarian in nature.

i am quite socially liberal myself, being bi and... something secret.

You'd think you'd know what freedom of speech actually entails.
11/11/2018 11:47 PMPosted by Älexandra

When you start up your own multi-million dollar corporation, you can make the forums there as free-for-all as you like.
11/11/2018 11:43 PMPosted by Viscaro
11/11/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Akston

I don't believe you.gif.

I feel as though there is more to the story. Else you'd be getting another 1 week (or more) ban right now.

It's a slightly separate issue, but they're not entirely unrelated.

I was silenced for 24 hours for saying in Trade to a discussion about transphobia that a lot of transphobia is instigated by trans people (and provided links to support). I stated this respectfully - I am a gay man IRL so I believe in sensitivity, respect and acceptance - yet I was slapped with a silence.

I can definitely see such things occurring here.

YES, trolling IS an issue. But when you begin to censor free thought, that's a problem in my book. I know this is only a game at the end of the day, but I don't wanna be in an environment that is stifling to me - especially when I have been civil, respectful and polite.

I agree with you and for some reason I feel like blizzard is going to give me a big fat supsension soon despite not being negative or bad at all... As you and others have said all it takes is one word to get suspended basically...

Ironically If it happens hopefully not till tuesday..... Rather enjoy my last days on the Wow fourms before their downgraded into a worse version.
11/11/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Viscaro
    Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Sounds like a mixture of Orwellian "Big Brother is watching" as well as Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode that depicts a society where everything you do is dictated by your rating.

Thoughts?

Well, the first one is "good." What it means is if you show yourself to not be inflammatory you can post images. That is obviously to keep someone from coming in, then posting horrible images.

I don't see a problem with the "flagging" system; Posts of mine already got reported, sometimes leading to suspensions. I figured out I should basically just never talk about things happening in real life, since people label it and then if the person at Blizzard has similar politics you may have a forum vacation (even if what you said was not inflammatory, or trolling.)

I think it will be fine, since if it is just an "opinion" on something in Wow that people are flagging then Blizzard won't band you or something. I'll just have to still be doubly careful about mentioning real life, politically hot topics, etc.
11/11/2018 11:48 PMPosted by Snowfox
Well okay.. but.. it's not up to you..

On the contrary, it actually is. The only time anyone has power is you let them have it. Do you not live in the US and understand how laws are passed in it?

The only thing that doesn't change is the Bill of Rights. All else can, and do, change as the demand is required.

Online censorship could readily be made illegal if there was enough support for it, the obstruction to that is the same evil responsible for many other could-be changes never happening: apathy. Most just don't care, and you can't make them care. Only when a lemming is convinced their sources of pleasure and needs are in danger will they care, but so long as they're entertained and fed, they won't want to care regardless of ethics or morals, or its implications decades or centuries from now.

Indeed it is up to us, and by that I mean everyone, but it probably won't change because of the natural lemming condition.
11/11/2018 11:27 PMPosted by Tyralone
11/11/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Arisran
How does the trust system work? Is that like a social credit score? Can it go up and down or just up?

Good god it better not. I saw the Orville episode of that and it was horrible to think society could become that, your life determined on Likes and Dislikes:

http://orville.wikia.com/wiki/Majority_Rule

So long as you can't be deemed 'untrustworthy' or something I won't mind as much. Because then having opposing opinions would be invalid.
11/12/2018 12:15 AMPosted by Lahgtah

On the contrary, it actually is. The only time anyone has power is you let them have it. Do you not live in the US and understand how laws are passed in it?

The only thing that doesn't change is the Bill of Rights. All else can, and do, change as the demand is required.

Online censorship could readily be made illegal if there was enough support for it, the obstruction to that is the same evil responsible for many other could-be changes never happening: apathy. Most just don't care, and you can't make them care. Only when a lemming is convinced their sources of pleasure and needs are in danger will they care, but so long as they're entertained and fed, they won't want to care regardless of ethics or morals, or its implications decades or centuries from now.

Indeed it is up to us, and by that I mean everyone, but it probably won't change because of the natural lemming condition.

Right.. the whole revolutionary fight the man evil system thing.. I've heard it.

Let me know when you've got something that'll let you go up against Blizzard's lawyers.
The only thing that doesn't change is the Bill of Rights. All else can, and do, change as the demand is required. .
The Bill of Rights is literally the first ten times the Constitution was changed. And it has been changed Seventeen times since then.

Your lack of understanding of anything you are talking about is the most amusing thing I have read in months.
I don't know if any of you people have ever been on the overwatch forums but I've been banned more times on that forum than I can count now and I've never been banned on any blizzard forum aside from it

I got banned for saying "that's a stupid idea"

I got banned for calling someone a liar and proving it

I got banned because I said the only way to stop X her was breaking the users fingers

I've been banned on that forum for stuff I don't even know

Looking forwards to getting banned for saying LFG should be remove or saying something like "sounds like a you problem"
11/11/2018 11:43 PMPosted by Viscaro
11/11/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Akston

I don't believe you.gif.

I feel as though there is more to the story. Else you'd be getting another 1 week (or more) ban right now.

It's a slightly separate issue, but they're not entirely unrelated.

I was silenced for 24 hours for saying in Trade to a discussion about transphobia that a lot of transphobia is instigated by trans people (and provided links to support). I stated this respectfully - I am a gay man IRL so I believe in sensitivity, respect and acceptance - yet I was slapped with a silence.

I can definitely see such things occurring here.

YES, trolling IS an issue. But when you begin to censor free thought, that's a problem in my book. I know this is only a game at the end of the day, but I don't wanna be in an environment that is stifling to me - especially when I have been civil, respectful and polite.

I can't think of a single company that I have ever encountered that does not "censor free thought" in some shape or form.

I am not sure one exists. Anywhere.
11/12/2018 12:18 AMPosted by Snowfox
Right.. the whole revolutionary fight the man evil system thing.. I've heard it.

Let me know when you've got something that'll let you go up against Blizzard's lawyers.

What an intoxicatingly depressive and defeatist attitude. I cannot imagine living a life so full of apathy. May as well be dead at that point.

You are an example of the exact type of lemming I'm talking about; you don't care, you don't want to care, and no one can make you care because you're easily satisfied and happy with what you have.
11/12/2018 12:15 AMPosted by Lahgtah

If "online censorship" was made illegal, for private companies to censor what was said on their private business websites..then that would destroy the internet and all the "free thought" you are fighting for. Why? Because..lets use Blizzard in this example..they would just stop using forums all together.

You can't express your "free thought" if you have no where left to express it.
11/11/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Cyouskin
I can't wait to link memes with embedded images.

I'm both cautious and wary, but mildly excited.

Does this trust level get shot by vindictive trolls? Angry people with a differing opinion shoot your "trust level" and drag it through the mud with false flagging?

Will controversial but well thought out posts get "downvoted" to hell and back simply for not following a majority narrative?

We'll have to wait and see.
11/11/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Älexandra
it is.

most far left leaning people support things like these, true thought policing.

blizzard being a californian company, it's gonna be filled with far left types.

it's a big problem. authoritarianism is on the rise, as well as corporatism as you will learn from the responses you will get. they will be disgusted that you dare to question your corporate masters.
Me thinks you're wearing that tinfoil hat a tad too tight. Just don't be a horses backside and you should be alright. No more no less,to quote George Carlin as Rufus "Be excellent to eachother" Just means I have to be a tad less snarky when critiquing certain streamers down the road. :P