New forums = George Orwell's 1984?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
11/11/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Älexandra
it is.

most far left leaning people support things like these, true thought policing.

blizzard being a californian company, it's gonna be filled with far left types.

it's a big problem. authoritarianism is on the rise, as well as corporatism as you will learn from the responses you will get. they will be disgusted that you dare to question your corporate masters.
Me thinks you're wearing that tinfoil hat a tad too tight. Just don't be a horses backside and you should be alright. No more no less,to quote George Carlin as Rufus "Be excellent to eachother" Just means I have to be a tad less snarky when critiquing certain streamers. :P

All politics aside you can get banned for saying something that can trigger enough people to be petty and pathetic and flag you for trolling
looks like forums will be filled with alot of forced positivity and alot of use of the buzzwords "negativity and whining"..

as far it looks it will be more of a safe place than actually a forum to have all kind of opinions.
11/12/2018 12:33 AMPosted by Xyona
as far it looks it will be more of a safe place than actually a forum to have all kind of opinions.
Or maybe it will be a forum for discussing things about WoW instead of the dreck in my facebook newsfeed when all I wanted to find out was did my daughter post pictures of the grandbabies today.
It's been fun. It gives the MVP the rest they need from endlessly rallying for blizzard and the death of any criticism.
11/11/2018 11:09 PMPosted by Bherethor
Considering it's a private organization overseeing a community in which you participate voluntarily, for which there are zero consequences for not participating in, that's a stretch.
Pretty soon everything will be a private organization overseeing a specific community and “free speech” will be something that happens in your living room and nowhere else.

And you better watch your step in your living room, because all of your devices are listening too.
11/12/2018 12:37 AMPosted by Greery
It's been fun. It gives the MVP the rest they need from endlessly rallying for blizzard and the death of any criticism.

I want to argue with you, but those goggles are FANTASTIC.
11/12/2018 12:37 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/12/2018 12:37 AMPosted by Greery

I want to argue with you, but those goggles are FANTASTIC.
/agree

Go Go Goggles!
I believe in sensitivity, respect and acceptance

a lot of transphobia is instigated by trans people

*hums an eldritch ditty*

One of these things is not like the other...one of these things just doesn't belong...
11/11/2018 11:09 PMPosted by Bherethor
Considering it's a private organization overseeing a community in which you participate voluntarily, for which there are zero consequences for not participating in, that's a stretch.

It's a form of pavlovian conditioning
I’m excited for the change. I don’t really mind the whole trust / no trust thing. If it gets turned in to an epic “white night” club or a hive of villainy and scum, well, at least i’ll Know what to expect on these forums; they’ll be less “like a box of chocolates” in that regard.

(for the record I firmly believe neither the above will happen. things will be quite dull and average - as most dull and average things truly are)
Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Where does it say this? As far as I'm aware, I can post as much as I like?
11/12/2018 12:24 AMPosted by Lahgtah
11/12/2018 12:18 AMPosted by Snowfox
Right.. the whole revolutionary fight the man evil system thing.. I've heard it.

Let me know when you've got something that'll let you go up against Blizzard's lawyers.

What an intoxicatingly depressive and defeatist attitude. I cannot imagine living a life so full of apathy. May as well be dead at that point.

You are an example of the exact type of lemming I'm talking about; you don't care, you don't want to care, and no one can make you care because you're easily satisfied and happy with what you have.
Actually they have a financial interest in the company. Their schtick as of late is informing you that your complaints are futile or that you are mistaken.

you know the type.
11/11/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Decoy
Removing the dislike button is a bad call. I should be able to silently disagree with your (most likely) terrible opinion or statement without backing it up with my own.

Did somebody step on you today?
It doesn't sound like either, because WoW is one video game among thousands and even its forums are only one of many about the same topic.

As long as its easy for me to choose and switch to the games and forums I prefer, I think it's great their creators can experiment and try to offer the best experience they can, all so I can judge which I prefer most.

This is nothing at all like your government locking you into one set of rules from which is there is no realistic escape. I wish more forum posters would understand that (not for WoW purposes, but for real life purposes.)
11/12/2018 12:45 AMPosted by Dinrry
11/12/2018 12:24 AMPosted by Lahgtah

What an intoxicatingly depressive and defeatist attitude. I cannot imagine living a life so full of apathy. May as well be dead at that point.

You are an example of the exact type of lemming I'm talking about; you don't care, you don't want to care, and no one can make you care because you're easily satisfied and happy with what you have.
Actually they have a financial interest in the company.

<- "self made shill"

Bow, mortals.
Sweet. So even more people can report players they don't agree with even though it's legit criticism.

Criticism /= trolling. The more you know.
11/12/2018 12:40 AMPosted by Mïranda
I believe in sensitivity, respect and acceptance

a lot of transphobia is instigated by trans people

*hums an eldritch ditty*

One of these things is not like the other...one of these things just doesn't belong...

Sorry, what?

There have been numerous incidents involving trans people physically assaulting others. Please explain how a factual statement infringes on sensitivity, respect and acceptance?

I am gay but I'll be the first to concede that numerous social problems plague the gay community. Am I now disrespectful to the gay community because I have stated something factual?
<span class="truncated">...</span>
<span class="truncated">...</span>

*hums an eldritch ditty*

Sorry, what?

There have been numerous incidents involving trans people physically assaulting others. Please explain how a factual statement infringes on sensitivity, respect and acceptance?

I am gay but I'll be the first to concede that numerous social problems plague the gay community. Am I now disrespectful to the gay community because I have stated something factual?

Interestingly, you could replace “trans” and “gay” in the above paragraphs for most social-demographic groups and have it be factual simply because it’s vague.

Not denying your experiences and I have every reason to believe you’re true - it was nonetheless amusing replacing them with any other group for funsies.

Edit to add: this was not intended to stoke the fires.