New forums = George Orwell's 1984?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 26 Next
11/11/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Viscaro
    Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Sounds like a mixture of Orwellian "Big Brother is watching" as well as Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode that depicts a society where everything you do is dictated by your rating.

Thoughts?

Good thing I have four meow meow beans.
Trust Levels

Yeah this doesnt sound so good.

We'll tryst you once you get with the newspeak

Newspeak:

Rule No.1 : - Always tell the Devs how much you love them
Rule No. 2:- Never criticize Blizzard
- If in doubt see Rule Rule No.1

P.S:

Supplementary Rule: For all you people who think "constructive criticism" matters?

You're adorable.
11/12/2018 01:55 AMPosted by Snowfox
Alright Chuck Jeager, what's the hole?

Yeager
11/11/2018 11:37 PMPosted by Adorbs
I don't think it'll be too bad.

From my perspective it seems like "post more often" means "as normal, but circumvent post timer if you're upboated enough"

Could be wrong.

I did once get a 24hr suspension for calling someone an utter moron (I explained with points after though!) so maybe there will be some crappy suspensions.

Are you so short sighted that you do not see the egregious corruption and abuse this system will allow? You will be forced off of the forums never able to post if you deviate from the accepted company line. Not even Facebook could get away with this perfidy.

Best possible way to bring this to an appropriate close is to go to the wider audience. Burn MorganStanley and Forbes and other financial investment managers twitter feeds up.

#SellShortATVI
11/12/2018 12:53 AMPosted by Lahgtah
11/12/2018 12:45 AMPosted by Dinrry
you know the type.

Yes, I know the (((type.)))

11/12/2018 12:27 AMPosted by Akston
If "online censorship" was made illegal, for private companies to censor what was said on their private business websites..then that would destroy the internet and all the "free thought" you are fighting for. Why? Because..lets use Blizzard in this example..they would just stop using forums all together.

You are not seeing the forest for the trees. Read what I wrote, and try again.

I tried again. You stated that the only reason online censorship is not illegal is because I am apathetic and I have a lemming condition.

It is not apathy.

I am actively against online censorship being made illegal. I am actively, steadfast, against the regulation of private businesses not being allowed to censor their own private websites.

If I am missing some point, please feel free to explain.
11/12/2018 04:12 AMPosted by Pointyends
Trust Levels

Yeah this doesnt sound so good.

We'll tryst you once you get with the newspeak

Newspeak:

Rule No.1 : - Always tell the Devs how much you love them
Rule No. 2:- Never criticize Blizzard
- If in doubt see Rule Rule No.1

P.S:

Supplementary Rule: For all you people who think "constructive criticism" matters?

You're adorable.

Don't forget doublethink.
the acceptance of or mental capacity to accept contrary opinions or beliefs at the same time

Something like.."If Blizzard stocks go down, it means the company is going bankrupt, and they are out of touch with players. If stocks go up, it means they are a greedy company that needs to be shut down, because they are out of touch with players"
While I appreciate the Orwellian references, I think y'all are going off the deep end.

We're not at the point where multinationals are running the planet.

Except for Google and Amazon.
11/12/2018 05:28 AMPosted by Crepe
While I appreciate the Orwellian references, I think y'all are going off the deep end.

We're not at the point where multinationals are running the planet.

Except for Google and Amazon.

You forgot Facebook, Twitter & Blizzard/Activision :D
11/11/2018 11:09 PMPosted by Bherethor
Considering it's a private organization overseeing a community in which you participate voluntarily, for which there are zero consequences for not participating in, that's a stretch.
This. People invoke 1984 all the time without actually understanding what it's about. All they know is, "people will be watching, that's 1984!"

It's not Orwellian. It's a private forum that is based around discussion of a recreational video game. No Thought Police are in pursuit of you.
If there is a way, the new system will be used and abused.
    Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Sounds like a mixture of Orwellian "Big Brother is watching" as well as Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode that depicts a society where everything you do is dictated by your rating.

Thoughts?

They took the lead from China and their "Trust Point" system.

It is a slap in the face.

It could be the end of my forum career!
11/12/2018 05:32 AMPosted by Rastlin
    Trust Levels

Flagging

Thoughts?

They took the lead from China and their "Trust Point" system.

It is a slap in the face.

It could be the end of my forum career!

Don't tease me.
I think when they say, "positively contribute" they mean not behaving like a knob. We are still allowed to criticise game aspects and offer suggestions for fixing things that don't work.
11/11/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Decoy
Removing the dislike button is a bad call. I should be able to silently disagree with your (most likely) terrible opinion or statement without backing it up with my own.
Is a bad call? Considering it was removed from these forums ages ago and for good reason.

Since these forums are a giant echo chamber for the most part, people would use the dislike button to bury posts from people who had the audacity to disagree with them.

And considering the amount of abuse the "report post" option gets from these forums I have very low expectations from these upgrades. Especially if "trust" and "privilege" comes from non-objective sources, aka Blizzard, versus the forums population.

Because, to be 100% frank, blunt, and honest, these forums are filled with people whose maturity level leaves much to be desired. And if my "rewards" and "punishments" are based on these individuals, then there is no point in even posting in them anymore. Anyone with logic, reasoning, and critical thinking skills and dares to actually use them will be punished into oblivion whereas others who can stir up a frenzy because they want something handed to them, or they dislike raider.io, or whatever the cause célèbre of the moment will get rewarded for that behavior.

And I have seen NOTHING from a Blue to make me think otherwise.
This is new and exciting.. and the same thing happened the last time they updated the forums lol.

Cookies for all!
11/12/2018 05:39 AMPosted by Grumbles
This is new and exciting.. and the same thing happened the last time they updated the forums lol.

Cookies for all!

The important question is, does a different forum mean different type of cookies?
11/12/2018 05:37 AMPosted by Forums
And I have seen NOTHING from a Blue to make me think otherwise.

I would suggest you visit the Overwatch forums.

There's pages and pages of threads talking about the game. Debating. Discussing. (Ok, there's no pages, but you can scroll a lot.)

And not a lot of threads of vitriol and drivel and hate.

I do wonder a lot if people are worried more if they won't be able to have their opinions or if they won't be able to insult or shout down the opinions of others.

I'm not ready to sit in judgment of a system we don't even have implemented yet. I am aware that for several years (back when you could see that posts were reported) that every single post I made was reported. So simply being me I'm more likely to generate flags than most posters unless they're being uncivil.

What is it about the sheer idea that people need to be civil that's got people in a panic?
Hooray! I finally get to be blacklisted!
If/when I begin to feel that Blizzard is acting too much like a @@%#@*@%, I will just remove their access to my bank account. Simple.
... Meh.

Honestly, calling this "Orwellian" is not only an over exaggeration that dilutes the point at hand, but makes a glowing assumption of Blizzard that I frankly don't think they in any way deserve.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I'll see your cynicism and raise you even more cynicism!

Blizzard barely engages with the forums at all. The CMs are spread so far and so thin and communicate so infrequently that "hey, Blizzard actually said something to us!" becomes an event.

Blizzard has neither the time nor inclination nor even the general PR consciousness to even begin such an implementation. They are so disconnected from their customers and their community they're like the Amish with a cell phone. The complexities of any new system mean nothing if Blizzard fails to invest the personnel, time, and effort into making it mean something, and there is no real reason to assume WoW forums 3.0 (4.0?) will be anymore "policed" than what came before.

Blizzard's not going to turn the forums into some sort of dystopian "police state". They can barely keep them above a Mad Max styled post-apocalyptic anarchy as it is.