New forums = George Orwell's 1984?

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next
On most forums, I get banned just for saying something a mod didn't like at the time, I don't think I've actually been banned on a rule break before.

On MMO-C, you get infracted just for deviating off topic accidentally. I've been infracted for "minor flaming". Lmao. Minor flaming. There's minor flaming and then there's major flaming apparently, depending on how sensitive the "victim" of the flaming is.
I got suspended on here because I mentioned autism.

You'll more likely than not get banned because you hurt someone's feelings.
11/12/2018 05:32 AMPosted by Rastlin
11/11/2018 11:07 PMPosted by Viscaro
    Trust Levels

We want to reward users who are positively contributing to the forums. Over time, these players will be rewarded with the ability to post more often, embed images/links, and more.

Flagging

We’ve removed the “thumbs down” button and replaced it with a flagging system with multiple options.

Sounds like a mixture of Orwellian "Big Brother is watching" as well as Black Mirror's "Nosedive" episode that depicts a society where everything you do is dictated by your rating.

Thoughts?

They took the lead from China and their "Trust Point" system.

It is a slap in the face.

It could be the end of my forum career!

Edit:

The trust point system is excellent and wise.

In my new forum career I will redeem myself by never speaking against the will of our wise, compassionate and just leader.

He knows Best!

I am greatful for the opportunity to follow!
11/12/2018 05:42 AMPosted by Crepe
I would suggest you visit the Overwatch forums.
No. They should be discussing it in THESE forums. One of the perennial complaints about Blizzard's communication, and lack thereof, is that the rely on us finding information from sources that we wouldn't normally be looking. If they're bringing this system to the WoW forums, then they need to be posting it here in the WoW forums. If I don't play Overwatch, I'm not going to have a reason to go over there.

Case in point, the first word of this upgrade I saw was from a GREEN. I just double checked and here we are now, < 24 hours out and still not a sticky post or anything on it. MMO-C doesn't have anything on its Blue Tracker either.

And, with all due respect, the discussions on Overwatch are nothing like discussions here in the WoW forums. They don't have the 10+ year hissy fit that is High Elves for Alliance. They don't get the fights of "I'm new/returning! Give me everything I missed NOW!". The list goes on.

I do wonder a lot if people are worried more if they won't be able to have their opinions or if they won't be able to insult or shout down the opinions of others.
I worry because I've had 3 wrongful bans for daring to disagree. Two of which were overturned in less than a minute by a GM upon review, because I had the nerve to disagree with the echo chamber on the issue. The third I attribute to a GM having a dirty mind and transposing a few letters "Large Hadron Collider" as in the giant Particle Accelerator in Switzerland.

What is it about the sheer idea that people need to be civil that's got people in a panic?
Because not everyone makes legitimate reports that still result in actual action being taken against an innocent party. As I mentioned above, I received 2 forum suspensions that, when the GM opened my appeal ticket, were reversed in under a minute. That's a problem.

And, again, it all seems to come down to communication or lack thereof.
So I wonder if this will be the trust level standard for the Warcraft forums as well.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/new-forum-syntax-guide-details-about-trust-levels/380

TRUST LEVEL 0
Trust level 0 users cannot:
  • Flag posts
  • Post more than 3 topics
  • Post more than 10 replies
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------
    TRUST LEVEL 1
    Get to trust level 1 by…
  • Entering at least 5 topics
  • Reading at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
  • Users at trust level 1 can…
  • Post unlimited topics and replies
  • Edit wiki posts (more on Wiki Posts Below)
  • Flag posts
    TRUST LEVEL 2
    Get to trust level 2 by…
  • Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 1 like
  • Receiving at least 1 like
  • Replying to at least 3 different topics
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts
  • Users at trust level 2 can…
  • Create links and video embeds to trusted websites like Blizzard websites, YouTube, or Twitch
  • Have an increased “like” count.
    TRUST LEVEL 3
    Get to trust level 3 by…
  • Must have visited at least 50% of last 100 days
  • Must have replied to at least 10 different topics
  • Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 500 topics
  • Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 20,000 posts (both starting posts and replies)
  • Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.
  • Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • Must not have been suspended (including forum suspensions or in-game account actions of any Blizzard game)
  • Trust Level 3 users can
  • Create Wiki Posts
  • Post animated gifs, images, compatible video embeds, and links to any website
  • Long Live Blizzard, may the guide us through the great dark and show us the right way!

Am I doing it right?
    I am just glad we have forums! Being polite, helpful, and civil should just be table stakes...
    And here I thought 2018 was almost over and held no more surprises.

This is hands down the most absurd forum topic of 2018, with the most absurd title. Congrats. That is quite the feat.
    Somebody thinks they're extra special if they compare a fictional dystopian society that governs an entire country to the handling of posts on a video game forum run by a private company.
    11/11/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Decoy
    Removing the dislike button is a bad call. I should be able to silently disagree with your (most likely) terrible opinion or statement without backing it up with my own.

A forum is a place to discuss things. If all you're doing is "silently disagreeing", you aren't helping the discussion. How does someone know something is wrong unless they're told? If you went to dinner with someone and that person got some sauce, ketchup, etc on their cheek, would you say nothing and thus laugh at them behind their back or would you tell them and let them wipe it off? If you just laugh at them, then you're not helping anything.

The entire upvote/downvote system is stupid. While people parroting other posters isn't any better, people just use down/upvotes mindlessly. There's little reasoning for why many do what they do.
    Oh hey, this guy's transmog sucks. Downvote.
    Oh hey, this guy's name/guild name is terrible. Downvote.
    Oh hey, this guy can't spell. Downvote.
    Oh hey, this guy has under 1000 achievement points. Downvote.
    Oh hey, this guy posts on a level 1 alt with 0 achievement points instead of his main. Downvote.
    Oh hey, this guy has over 25000 achievement points/posts and has no life. Downvote.
    Oh hey, I hate this guy's opinion. Downvote.

Oh hey, this guy has a great name/guild name. Upvote.
    Oh hey, this guy has a fantastic transmog. Upvote.
    Oh hey, this guy is a mythic raider and clearly has a valuable opinion. Upvote.
    Oh hey, this guy is parroting the same dead horse threads I agree with. Upvote.
    Oh hey, this guy has a valid opinion that I can agree with. Upvote.

Get my point? Voting has no value when it comes to a discussion when people up/downvote for reasons unrelated to the post itself.

Blizzard has every right to control their own forums as they see fit. This is technically their private property that they're letting us use. They could get stricter. If trolling becomes an issue with things like videos and gifs, Blizzard will change or eliminate permissions. I wouldn't be surprised to see videos and gifs limited to MVPs and blues by spring, if not sooner.
    "My god, the WoW community is so toxic"

"These forums are filled with nothing but toxic comments"

-Blizz tries to implement something to fix this-

"So stupid, can Blizz get anything right??"

GD in a nutshell.
    Teh evul lefties r gonna deplatform u RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
    11/11/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Decoy
    Removing the dislike button is a bad call. I should be able to silently disagree with your (most likely) terrible opinion or statement without backing it up with my own.

Are you actually joking? WoW's forums don't have a dislike button.
    A. Private forum. Owner can set their own rules.

B. Not really a secret since these forums already been in use...like for HotS ...wow is just latest franchise to be converted to the new forums.

C. Doesn't it get tiresome for you and those of like mindset to constantly push the "politically incorrect " alarm or try to spin controversy on everything?
    11/11/2018 11:47 PMPosted by Älexandra
    11/11/2018 11:45 PMPosted by Snowfox
    Yeah.. we never had free speech here though.

Like, I get the whole 'it's a concept not just a government law'... but.. this isn't really in the end a free speech battleground. It's forums for a video game and if players can't control themselves - the mods will.

like i said, i do not respect the rights of companies to make such decisions.

if it were up to me, it'd be illegal.

It's not up to you thankfully. These forums and the internet in general shouldn't be the wild west where there are no consequences for peoples actions. People shouldn't be able to hide behind a keyboard and say whatever they like.

What is it about the sheer idea that people need to be civil that's got people in a panic?

Its not the idea that people NEED to be civil that causes panic. I feel I am always civil even when tongue in cheek. It the idea that I can be removed because someone who is not civil can have me removed because they disagree.

Disagreeing in full view is more civil than anonymously trying to silence someone because you disagree with them.
    11/12/2018 06:56 AMPosted by Brewenor
    Disagreeing in full view is more civil than anonymously trying to silence someone because you disagree with them.

The reporting and flagging system are the exact same system, only with different names.
    Being able to talk smack to alliance scum is more important than being able to embed images. While memes might make the smack talk funnier, it's not worth it if I have to play nice all the time.
    11/12/2018 06:56 AMPosted by Macällän
    11/11/2018 11:47 PMPosted by Älexandra

like i said, i do not respect the rights of companies to make such decisions.

if it were up to me, it'd be illegal.

It's not up to you thankfully. These forums and the internet in general shouldn't be the wild west where there are no consequences for peoples actions. People shouldn't be able to hide behind a keyboard and say whatever they like.

But you are in full support for people hiding behind a keyboard and controlling someones else's ability to speak in a forum - simply because they disagree? Flaggers having 0 consequences for THEIR actions?

So control the people I feel I might disagree with and dont you dare look at the people I like?

And as I said in another post, I am asking instead of assuming thats what you mean. Or I could just flag you and hopefully get a MOD to see my side and get you banned?

Which would create a better community? Asking others for clarification or pushing people out of the community? Which is LESS Toxic?
    Thoughts?

Hyperbole is a bad way to make a point.
    11/11/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Jim
    Thoughts?
    I had a thought about Alexstrasza wearing nothing but a jam sandwich.

My vote for new MVP!