When does the Alliance become a faction again?

General Discussion
11/12/2018 07:13 AMPosted by Ayaani
11/12/2018 07:10 AMPosted by Spiçy

Literally killed a leader for this. How the hell is that not a consequence?

Because there was none? All the blame was put on Garrosh and the Horde practically lost nothing out of it. Varian basically just gave the Horde a mild scolding lmao

Oh and of course the Alliance weren't even the ones to kill Garrosh, it was Thrall.

So we kill one of our war chiefs for being a warmongers you only see the “scolding”

Get this person a medal for these mental gymnastics
11/12/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Spiçy
11/12/2018 07:13 AMPosted by Ayaani

Because there was none? All the blame was put on Garrosh and the Horde practically lost nothing out of it. Varian basically just gave the Horde a mild scolding lmao

Oh and of course the Alliance weren't even the ones to kill Garrosh, it was Thrall.

So we kill one of our war chiefs for being a warmongers you only see the “scolding”

Get this person a medal for these mental gymnastics

You mean the same leader who kicked everyone out of the Horde except Orcs and some Tauren?

Lmao big deal. I'd take Anduin dying and us conquering many cities/zones and getting to keep them any day.
11/12/2018 05:22 AMPosted by Samurix
Then next patch we have night elf retake their land. Not horde retake their land and city. The night elf who are alliance. Take back their land, dismasted the horde army, turn Night Queen into super soldier and druid gets a backbone.
For the record, none of this happens. Tyrande ascends and, combined with Malfurion, is incapable of doing more than fighting Nathanos to a draw. She kills a val'kyr that's completely inconsequential because Sylvanas still has enough for an extra life, Nathanos walks away with a fervently loyal army of superpowered zombie night elves.

The warfront is, obviously, a perpetual stalemate. Lor'danel is completely blighted, the Forsaken reopen their death camp, and the night elves never get more than a goblin oil rig off the coast and Bashal'aran.

11/12/2018 06:55 AMPosted by Thèón
11/12/2018 06:50 AMPosted by Averyx

Because, as Afrasiabi himself recently admitted, the writers are pretty much into Sylvanas pants more than the lore so all they write is directed by that desire.

Citation needed.
https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-11-08-world-of-warcraft-and-the-masterplan-for-sylvanas
11/12/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Ayaani
11/12/2018 06:49 AMPosted by Snikrot

Just to be clear, don't lump me in with those "no bias" people. I agree there's Horde bias and I don't blame them. Look at us, we're way more interesting and way more likeable. You guys have either boring or unlikeable leaders and all of ours are awesome. You guys got three horses, we get awesome mounts. You guys get some stupid bunny mini pet and you get the bad !@# lil ben'fon. Sucks to be Alliance.

...what awesome faction leaders? Genocidal zombie? Coward cow? Crying old orc? Literal who Theron? You really call those ''likeable''?

Compared to manboy, his pet dog, his toy mecha with gnome pilot, never around velen, do nothing dwarves, the biggest b and her passive husband, and annoying religious paladin and his secret villain wife.. yea, I'd say so.

Our leaders might be dysfunctional but at least they all have separate identities. The alliance leaders are either all just extensions of the most unqualified one of them or a giant b and her husband.
11/12/2018 04:04 AMPosted by Hyolia
"AI in Battlegrounds"
"(You're welcome, Alliance)"
~Blizzcon 2018

First line was a summary, second line was verbatum.

The Alliance isn't so much a faction as it is a joke, and Blizzard knows it. Not that they'll do anything about it, that's part of the joke.

They can't force us to not suck at BGs lol.
Ok ok lets be honest. While the Alliance was at first build to be the main stay of wow the appeal of the horde has driven more players that direction and since the Horde has a much easier way of becoming questionable due to our more aggressive political atmosphere. The alliance has become the horde back drop and was there to hold us in check. But I think you will start to see a much more aggressive Alliance with the night elves and more engaging story of the Alliance or you just become support characters in another horde civil war again.
11/12/2018 01:39 AMPosted by Angrim
When Stormwind concedes leadership to Ironforge and the dwarves become the rightful head of the Alliance.

Not gonna happen shorty, The Void is here, you know your new Overlords and Master Race! now bow down before I get upset and drive you insane!
So a Horde victory considering the Horde just captured the only Alliance stronghold in Kalimdor.

We didn't capture it. We cannot go there.

So the Alliance victory is already tainted because they can't even capture it due to plague.

Equal to Darnassus.

Just wait. You'll see.

See what? It looks like canonically Alliance is going to win the first 2 warfronts.

So even more Horde plot. Wow, totally not a Horde story btw.

You have your own story. A cinematic with your leader and a horde traitor = horde story. /boggle.
11/12/2018 01:41 AMPosted by Svidinn
I would like to see the Alliance on the brink of civil war, or falling apart, or even at odds with its leader for once. It would make for an interesting story and add some tension.

It's not like it'd be hard. Anduin may be a pretty perfect little priest boy to some, but to others he could definitely be seen as naive and weak compared to his father. Noble societies in reality often came at odds with their leaders, so I don't see why this can't be any different. Another idea, perhaps, would be having some moral group or individual view SI:7 as wrong. After all, much of what they do amounts of dishonorable assassinations and sabotage. For a paladin, I could see there being some friction with that.

I still have hope for the storyline this expansion. I want a true faction war. The Alliance seeking the horde's destruction and vice versa, rather than (most) everyone just hating Sylvanas and wanting only her deposed so an honorable orc can lead. I feel having someone with the 'death to the horde' mindset come at odds with Anduin might allow for that.

I'd give anything to see an actual story where the Alliance is not portrayed as a simple monolith. Conflict and disagreements lends itself to realistic and engaging story telling. These are, after all, different nations and races with different interests and motivations hobbled together into this Alliance. Why don't we ever see that beyond "let's fight the Horde!" and "let's work for peace with the Horde!" when there's a lot of territory between those two statements?
I could see a conflict with the Night elves wanting revenge and Anduin and possible compounded by the gnomes wanting to help the junkergnomes and claim a new home and with the worgens looking to retake there home since they lost the tree.
11/12/2018 01:20 AMPosted by Givemeloot
I'm just curious when my faction is going to not be a simple plot device for two horde factions.

Never. Blizzard only views the Alliance as a plot device in the Horde story.

Unless they basically fire the entire creative staff and replace them with actual professionals that don't let their own bias for one faction over the other dictate how they develop the game that imbalance will never change.
So a Horde victory considering the Horde just captured the only Alliance stronghold in Kalimdor.

You get the land back in next patch. go to ptr

So the Alliance victory is already tainted because they can't even capture it due to plague.

So you don't get a city. Ok so then give back all the land. Sense you don't get city. BTW you destroyed Brill on the way. Leveled the area around it. Therefore sense it not a victory why still there in first place. It would seem if we won. We still be there.

So even more Horde plot. Wow, totally not a Horde story btw.

So how is this a horde plot? Not getting that one. got to twist more facts.

11/12/2018 05:42 AMPosted by Givemeloot
Let's completely forget that there's an opposite counterpart.

What? Did I miss something?
11/12/2018 05:19 AMPosted by Rêdmoon

Nah Saurfang is still Horde but the Horde has a way too many Scourge in its ranks now.

I dont see a problem with people that failed and died being in charge. As someone that sacrificed everything I respect that.

FTFY

I guess if they keep losing, put them back in charge and maybe one day, just maybe they will eke out a win. I am a University of Kansas football fan and I cant even agree to that much fail.
Alliance: lol suckers if you don't want to be villains, join the Alliance, we have actual morals
also Alliance: why do Horde get all this awesome story where they get to be villains??
11/12/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Tetsubin
Alliance: lol suckers if you don't want to be villains, join the Alliance, we have actual morals
also Alliance: why do Horde get all this awesome story where they get to be villains??

That's not really what the Alliance people are saying. They are tired of the Alliance being pushed to the back burner to further the Horde plot, again, while we get very little development in the process.

Yes, the Horde is sadly getting the same repeat MoP story again and that sucks, but at least you are getting faction story. The Alliance's whole story in BfA, and most of WoW honestly, is the Horde did something bad to us now we need to react and fight back! That's the depth of our story and we want more than that.
Your level one buddy . You haven't even seen the story yet.
11/12/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Gschemes
Your level one buddy . You haven't even seen the story yet.
And who's fault is that?

I was just going about my business about to take a step into the world when you guys burned down the tree I was in.

My forum avatar is a picture of my character after failing to escape.
11/12/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Dardillien
The Alliance's whole story in BfA, and most of WoW honestly, is the Horde did something bad to us now we need to react and fight back! That's the depth of our story and we want more than that.

The worst is they never even actually get to fight back. The Alliance just wags a finger in their face and says "don't do that again" then sit back and wait for it to happen all over again.

The Alliance never gets any resolution to the story because they have no agency in it. They are just there to be acted upon by the Horde. The Alliance has no drive, no motivation, no action, they just simply react to Horde aggression when the story calls for it. Otherwise they just sit around twiddling their thumbs while the Horde is handling whatever Horde business is required till they need the Alliance to appear as a catalyst for the next Horde story to begin.
11/12/2018 03:56 AMPosted by Eleroleron
Or maybe...just MAYBE...the videos arent based on some honor service to factions, but rather is to actually tell the BfA story?

Not everything is bias.
Not everything is 'team' representation.
Not everything is a victimization waiting to happen.

Enjoy the cinematics and stop trying to relive your toddler years.

If our situations are ever reversed, and the horde is the bystander, punching bag faction that simply exists so that the alliance has something to drive it's story ahead, that exists without raiders, or PvPers, and is filled to the brim with "casuals" and anyone else you feel the need to look down on, I'm going to quote this post back at you when you complain that the horde deserves to be balanced with the alliance.

And, if they devs cared enough about the alliance to craft us a story they found interesting enough to play, we would get 100% alliance cinematics like the horde does.
11/12/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Moonfalls
11/12/2018 11:58 AMPosted by Dardillien
The Alliance's whole story in BfA, and most of WoW honestly, is the Horde did something bad to us now we need to react and fight back! That's the depth of our story and we want more than that.

The worst is they never even actually get to fight back. The Alliance just wags a finger in their face and says "don't do that again" then sit back and wait for it to happen all over again.

The Alliance never gets any resolution to the story because they have no agency in it. They are just there to be acted upon by the Horde. The Alliance has no drive, no motivation, no action, they just simply react to Horde aggression when the story calls for it. Otherwise they just sit around twiddling their thumbs while the Horde is handling whatever Horde business is required till they need the Alliance to appear as a catalyst for the next Horde story to begin.

The only time we actually see the Alliance, although more so just one member than the Alliance as a whole, do something that actually has motivation of any kind is Genn in Stormheim. He attacks Sylvanas because after five years of her getting to walk free after what she did to Gilneas and his son he finally had a chance to get revenge. That's the only time we ever got to see any kind of Alliance story that has a motivation, and even then it was just Genn's personal vendetta, which is justified and I am glad we got to see, but still it wasn't really the Alliance as a whole.