10000+ queue is okay

Classic Discussion
11/14/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Grogzo265432
11/14/2018 08:08 AMPosted by Brockthorn
sharding has nothing to do with the login queue.
login is from a separate server.

Each realm doesn't have their own server anymore.
As they say..wow is "in the cloud" now.

What happened in 2004 cannot happen today.

Sharding allows them to have more players on at once on a server without all those extra people ruining each others ability to play the game. This reduces the queue. They could not have sharding and allow 3k people in each starting zone, but the lag would be impossible to handle and the servers would probably crash. A fireball is what? 10 bytes of information? Each time you cast one, the server would have to process 30kbytes of data, now multiply that by the number of people actually playing.

This is not 2004. There are no one realm per server setups anymore.
Cloud services is used today. There is no physical realm server anymore.

Current factual information on wow servers from the IT Director..just this past August.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-13-after-fourteen-years-of-world-of-warcraft-infrastructure-isnt-a-limitation
When World of Warcraft shipped it was on single realms that were completely independent from all other realms. Now we're on a much more cloud-based infrastructure, which didn't exist in 2004 and is now the industry standard. We've modernized our game to make use of that, so we have a lot more resources we can share between different realms and a lot more connectivity we can provide to our players in their gameplay experience.
11/14/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Desodeleter
Gotta love the dramatization people use to push a point. Don't think the queue could even get to 10000 cause people would be like "I don't have a week to wait for wow to log in only to get disconnected day 2."

Also what kind of idiot would ever log out if they got in? Would be using addons and dippy-birds to stay logged in while you at work. Point some fan's at that abused overheating rig. It''s got more WoW to run 24/7.

Get home, cat knocked over dippy-bird. *rage uninstall*

It was common in 2004 to have a 3-7k queue for log ins. 10k might be a bit high but is realistic on first few weeks. I remember if i was going to play i had to make sure to try and log in atleast an hour before raid time.
11/14/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Ziegfried
The people in this thread advocating for sharding in the newbie zones seem to think it is a cure all, but you better be prepared for that mechanic to exist in 1) city raids 2) player events 3) any large battle. Basically expect sharding every time there is a large group of players in a zone. The vanilla experience will be extremely compromised and for what? Some impatient players who wanted a smooth experience on launch day.

There isnt something that answer the problem that much better short of rolling start launch for people that pay to start early. Which i also wouldn't mind. Blizzard track record of doing things like this doesnt give me confidence they will turn it off to make sure servers wont crash. However, launch day is usually the most important day for a product. How much inconvenience is it to people playing to group up in a shard and do the quests assuming blizzard actually turns it off in a week or whatever the case may be? In the long run under the assumption that they turn off sharding the early levels arent going to matter to people that much.
11/14/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Brockthorn
11/14/2018 10:49 AMPosted by Grogzo265432

Sharding allows them to have more players on at once on a server without all those extra people ruining each others ability to play the game. This reduces the queue. They could not have sharding and allow 3k people in each starting zone, but the lag would be impossible to handle and the servers would probably crash. A fireball is what? 10 bytes of information? Each time you cast one, the server would have to process 30kbytes of data, now multiply that by the number of people actually playing.

This is not 2004. There are no one realm per server setups anymore.
Cloud services is used today. There is no physical realm server anymore.

Current factual information on wow servers from the IT Director..just this past August.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-13-after-fourteen-years-of-world-of-warcraft-infrastructure-isnt-a-limitation
When World of Warcraft shipped it was on single realms that were completely independent from all other realms. Now we're on a much more cloud-based infrastructure, which didn't exist in 2004 and is now the industry standard. We've modernized our game to make use of that, so we have a lot more resources we can share between different realms and a lot more connectivity we can provide to our players in their gameplay experience.

Except that for the case of launch, ALL servers will be overloaded. It doesn't matter if you are cloud-based if the useage of your collective servers is more than their capacity. Sharding allows you to handle much more people that you would otherwise be able to since it limits the amount of information the servers have to process and send out.

100 people within talking distance of each other? Easy! Your fireball information only has to be sent to 100 people. 3000 people within talking distance of each other in every starter zone on every server? Not so easy.
11/14/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Grogzo265432

Except that for the case of launch, ALL servers will be overloaded. It doesn't matter if you are cloud-based if the useage of your collective servers is more than their capacity. Sharding allows you to handle much more people that you would otherwise be able to since it limits the amount of information the servers have to process and send out.

100 people within talking distance of each other? Easy! Your fireball information only has to be sent to 100 people. 3000 people within talking distance of each other in every starter zone on every server? Not so easy.

But this thread is about the login server and queues.
You haven't even gotten into the game yet to experience sharding.
11/14/2018 09:10 AMPosted by Vlis
i am curious; are people going to cry for seven or eight months+ over something that will last allegedly for a few weeks?

You must be new here.

;)
11/14/2018 10:55 AMPosted by Grogzo265432
Server mergers are quite literally one of the worst things you can do for the community aspect of the game.
No... it is the best and only solution to dead servers...
Speak for yourself, its not ok and thank god Blizz is using common sense here...you go ahead and quit and not play, if these things are making you not want to play, you never wanted to play in the first place.

Just trolling...or you're just being contentious to get attention.
11/14/2018 10:55 AMPosted by Grogzo265432
Server mergers are quite literally one of the worst things you can do for the community aspect of the game.

Untrue. I've been through several server mergers in several different MMORPGs. Have you? The only thing you'd lose in a merger in WoW is possibly your character names. I've lost a lot more than that in other MMOs such as massive in game estates and I was still grateful for the mergers when they happened because I got to be in a community again instead of a lone survivor in an abandoned wasteland. When a server falls to critically low population there is no community anymore because there are not enough players to form one!

Why do you think Blizzard did all that CRZ crossrealm crapola? They don't want players on super low population servers to feel completely alone. Or how about crossrealm BGs? Why do you think those came into existence? Low pop servers that couldn't field a single battleground match.
11/14/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Babyrabbits
Nope, that would suck!

Hopefully there's sharding for the first few weeks and never more.

I still can't wrap my head around people demanding the game be released in a state in which weeks of crashing and no progress (and possibly rollbacks on anything you get done) is the only imaginable outcome.