Why are people upset over the avatar you post with?

General Discussion
???

Please be honest.

I am genuinely curious what reasons people have.
Like in regards to someone posting on a shadowy character or not their main?
Because when they have nothing left to throw at you, it’s the best they can do. I take it as a win when they do it.
11/15/2018 01:35 AMPosted by Sevaira

Yes. Or any level character that they consider is "wrong."

Why is it "wrong"?
Because those who come here to whine about their pvp or raid experiences or dps gripes often post on a level 1 alt so no one can see their gear and expose what is the REAL issue
11/15/2018 01:36 AMPosted by Utterly
11/15/2018 01:35 AMPosted by Sevaira

Yes. Or any level character that they consider is "wrong."

Why is it "wrong"?

It is because people see it as someone hiding something or the bad reputation people who post on level 1 shadow alts give because they often troll the forums.

As far as the former, people often have opinions about content that they do not participate and other people like to call out those people. Posting on something that is not your main avoids the consequences of having opinions or claims but not being able to back them up.
11/15/2018 01:40 AMPosted by Piselie
Because those who come here to whine about their pvp or raid experiences or dps gripes often post on a level 1 alt so no one can see their gear and expose what is the REAL issue

Except gear doesn't mean anything. I've seen DPS north of 370 completely fail at the simplest tasks in a dungeon. I've seen tanks with a decent resume on raider.io just flop around helplessly.

What you're looking for is logs. As far as I can tell, a log is the only thing nowadays that doesn't lie.

This, more or less.

It detracts from the legitimacy of someone's problem or complaint when they don't even bother posting on the relevant character. It comes across like they have something to hide or are otherwise just trying to stir the pot.
I have to admit that while I think my prior post is accurate, I honestly am an idiot about it, as since I just level alts I have no real problem with this, so it's just a pet peeve
Darling, I am Chanel and <sips a little wine> that alone brings out haters. But you know what dear.......I could care less.
11/15/2018 01:51 AMPosted by Chanel
Darling, I am Chanel and <sips a little wine> that alone brings out haters. But you know what dear.......I could care less.

People are just intimidated by your sophistication.
11/15/2018 01:44 AMPosted by Momonohime

This, more or less.

It detracts from the legitimacy of someone's problem or complaint when they don't even bother posting on the relevant character. It comes across like they have something to hide or are otherwise just trying to stir the pot.

I had thought people would be able to look at the idea presented and not care a whit about the avatar used to post with. If they think the idea is silly, fine, but that should have nothing to do with the level of the poster.
I've learned that people like to argue against the person rather than debate the point being presented. They'll armory troll, stalk forum posts, etc instead of talk about the actual topic.

For example, I bet if Rastlin created a more reasonable thread without abusing italics on a shadow alt he'd get more thoughtful replies rather than "lol rastlin thread".
11/15/2018 02:25 AMPosted by Utterly
I had thought people would be able to look at the idea presented and not care a whit about the avatar used to post with.

Well the forums are less full of ideas and more full of opinions. The history of the way people communicate with each other here is not full of positive reception so in a sense there is a level of distrust here about other player's merits.

Like right now I could go around into pvp forums and complain about pvp stuff, how classes being unfair against mages but people could tell based on my character and this is clearly my main that I do not pvp. My opinion should carry none to little weight at best in this regard and people should be aware of that.
11/15/2018 02:27 AMPosted by Valarien
I've learned that people like to argue against the person rather than debate the point being presented. They'll armory troll, stalk forum posts, etc instead of talk about the actual topic.

For example, I bet if Rastlin created a more reasonable thread without abusing italics on a shadow alt he'd get more thoughtful replies rather than "lol rastlin thread".

Yep. I think there are all sorts of legitimate points and topics posted, but somehow so many people get hung up on "you're not a max level." And it kind of devolves from there. I think the "you have to be max level" people use that as a means to feel superior and "win" without actually debating the idea presented.
Just use a rogue. You can still post with your main and be shadowy, at the same time. *vanish* gone
Well, I see a shadow alt so I assume you want to be anonymous. Nothing is inherently wrong with that, but when you see several shadow alts/alts in general give hostile remarks you kind of lump certain avatars together. Nothing against you, just how people are.
11/15/2018 02:32 AMPosted by Sevaira
11/15/2018 02:25 AMPosted by Utterly
I had thought people would be able to look at the idea presented and not care a whit about the avatar used to post with.

Well the forums are less full of ideas and more full of opinions. The history of the way people communicate with each other here is not full of positive reception so in a sense there is a level of distrust here about other player's merits.

Like right now I could go around into pvp forums and complain about pvp stuff, how classes being unfair against mages but people could tell based on my character and this is clearly my main that I do not pvp. My opinion should carry none to little weight at best in this regard and people should be aware of that.

I don't see a difference between an idea and an opinion. Both are an expression of what someone is thinking or feeling about something. I guess I don't really mind the "complaining" posts, and it's not really in my nature to start aggressively picking apart the people making them.
11/15/2018 02:43 AMPosted by Utterly
I don't see a difference between an idea and an opinion. Both are an expression of what someone is thinking or feeling about something. I guess I don't really mind the "complaining" posts, and it's not really in my nature to start aggressively picking apart the people making them.

Well aggressively picking apart peoples posts is kinda what people do here. That really falls under debating and that is why people visit this place, to debate, to argue.
People post on alts to start poo flinging contests so that they don't get poo on themselves. What they fail to understand is that the main thing isn't that they shouldn't be doing so on an alt what they shouldn't be doing is starting a poo flinging contest.

Here's a fun fact: if you have the credentials to back up your argument then ad hoc attacks on your credentials will fail and your point will stand anyway. The most notable example to me is people posting on alts that there's nothing left to do in the game. If they were on their main they could be safely be ignored because they haven't even finished lfr but since it's an alt it has to be shut down.