Why are people upset over the avatar you post with?

General Discussion
11/15/2018 02:40 AMPosted by Thunderçatz
Well, I see a shadow alt so I assume you want to be anonymous. Nothing is inherently wrong with that, but when you see several shadow alts/alts in general give hostile remarks you kind of lump certain avatars together. Nothing against you, just how people are.

Yep. But that reaction is not right. It's like lumping all [insert race/sex/economic status] people together just because you've personally had a couple bad experiences with said [race/sex/economic status] folks before.
If you are in a topic about mythic raiding and have 0 mythic raiding experience.

If you are in a PvP topic and have 0 PvP experience.

Ect. Ect. If you post on a toon that doesn't show achievements you can lie about your experience and muddy the waters of the topic.
11/15/2018 02:50 AMPosted by Utterly
Yep. But that reaction is not right. It's like lumping all [insert race/sex/economic status] people together just because you've personally had a couple bad experiences with said [race/sex/economic status] folks before.

Because that is Human nature. Humans categorize things, it is how we make sense of the world. Lumping experience together is as natural to us as is breathing. We struggle to keep that in check in the real world let alone the online one.
11/15/2018 02:43 AMPosted by Utterly

I don't see a difference between an idea and an opinion. Both are an expression of what someone is thinking or feeling about something. I guess I don't really mind the "complaining" posts, and it's not really in my nature to start aggressively picking apart the people making them.

As others have noted, many a shadowy characters have posted their opinions on these forums. Some demand that their opinions be taken as fact without providing a means for others to judge whether or not that individual is even qualified.

If such an individual instead offered an idea, or rather a solution, then they're much less likely to catch the kind of backlash shadow alts usually recieve.
11/15/2018 02:55 AMPosted by Sevaira
11/15/2018 02:50 AMPosted by Utterly

Because that is Human nature. Humans categorize things, it is how we make sense of the world. Lumping experience together is as natural to us as is breathing. We struggle to keep that in check in the real world let alone the online one.

Yes. So I suppose I'm just saying, why not just read what's being said as opposed to immediately looking at the avatar as a means to categorize. Not every post is a complaint about mythics or PvP.. (though it seems that is what most people are concerned about when it comes to alt-posting).
I post on alternate characters if what I am commenting on is related directly to that class. It probably doesn't make any difference, but to me it adds a veneer of credibility to whatever it is I'm commenting on.
11/15/2018 03:00 AMPosted by Restofareye
11/15/2018 02:43 AMPosted by Utterly

I don't see a difference between an idea and an opinion. Both are an expression of what someone is thinking or feeling about something. I guess I don't really mind the "complaining" posts, and it's not really in my nature to start aggressively picking apart the people making them.

As others have noted, many a shadowy characters have posted their opinions on these forums. Some demand that their opinions be taken as fact without providing a means for others to judge whether or not that individual is even qualified.

If such an individual instead offered an idea, or rather a solution, then they're much less likely to catch the kind of backlash shadow alts usually recieve.

I may see what you're saying. So maybe it is a matter of tone? I don't think people who believe everyone ought to post on a max level character are faultless either.
11/15/2018 01:33 AMPosted by Utterly
???

Please be honest.

I am genuinely curious what reasons people have.

Too afraid to get judged by Asmongold on his stream lol

Yes. So I suppose I'm just saying, why not just read what's being said as opposed to immediately looking at the avatar as a means to categorize. Not every post is a complaint about mythics or PvP.. (though it seems that is what most people are concerned about when it comes to alt-posting).

Do you believe everything someone says IRL or online?

Or do you look at their credentials, source, or reputation?
11/15/2018 03:00 AMPosted by Utterly
11/15/2018 02:55 AMPosted by Sevaira

I always read the post first. I have no comment on the fact that you are a shadow alt because you aren't making a complaint. I am however leery of you because you are steering very close to pot stirring using a shadow alt to protect yourself from getting any crap on you. Which is a reprehensible thing.
Generally speaking i don't care what character people post on so long as they aren't making wild claims about things that cant be backed up because they're hiding on an alt.
Its not really about posting on alts. This is my alt (Restofareye above). If you check my achievements you could see that I raid at the heroic level and don't pvp much. So if i started making statements concerning the the difficulty of Mythic raiding people could easily find out that I am not qualified to speak on such matters.
11/15/2018 03:08 AMPosted by Flashòck

Do you believe everything someone says IRL or online?

Or do you look at their credentials, source, or reputation?

When it comes to WoW - this forum - I'm not sure I'd use the words "I believe" when reading any post. I just see people expressing themselves over a computer game. Credentials/reputation don't interest me because it is a computer game.
11/15/2018 03:08 AMPosted by Shippujinlai
11/15/2018 03:00 AMPosted by Utterly

I always read the post first. I have no comment on the fact that you are a shadow alt because you aren't making a complaint. I am however leery of you because you are steering very close to pot stirring using a shadow alt to protect yourself from getting any crap on you. Which is a reprehensible thing.

I can't tell if you're joking or serious. I am leery of you as well..
11/15/2018 03:14 AMPosted by Utterly
11/15/2018 03:08 AMPosted by Shippujinlai

Go ahead, i'm not hiding behind any alt this is my main. I have no reason to hide because i don't have any reason to sling poo or stir the pot.
11/15/2018 03:22 AMPosted by Shippujinlai
11/15/2018 03:14 AMPosted by Utterly

Go ahead, i'm not hiding behind any alt this is my main. I have no reason to hide because i don't have any reason to sling poo or stir the pot.

You sure are stirring the pot o' poo on this thread.
11/15/2018 03:26 AMPosted by Utterly
11/15/2018 03:22 AMPosted by Shippujinlai

If you say so. I'm standing up for what i believe in, and what i believe in is that if you want to start !@#$ you should not be a coward and hide behind an alt.
Because it makes you look like a gutless troll and as such any comment you make or point you try to get across is invalidated on principle.
11/15/2018 03:28 AMPosted by Shippujinlai
11/15/2018 03:26 AMPosted by Utterly

If you say so. I'm standing up for what i believe in, and what i believe in is that if you want to start !@#$ you should not be a coward and hide behind an alt.

Lol! At least you are being honest about how seriously you take this computer game and its forum.
11/15/2018 03:29 AMPosted by Shariadore
Because it makes you look like a gutless troll and as such any comment you make or point you try to get across is invalidated on principle.

Here's a scary one, but ok, thanks for sharing your scariness.