Vareesa Windrunner

General Discussion
Is it just me, or does she get treated like she doesn't exist? Especially since Alleria is back in the picture.
Vereesa was literally just created one day, out of the blue, and we all got shocked that there was another windrunner sister....that no one ever heard about.

She was used as the replacement for the Alleria concept (since Alleria was still defined as 'missing'). She was Alleria in every way except with white hair. She was a ranger, loved the alliance, fell in love with a human man, etc.

When you take a look at her, you begin to realize she had very little depth to begin with.
No one cares about the Frank Stallone, Clint Howard, Joe Estevez of the Windrunners. Get over yourself Chris Penn.
11/15/2018 06:34 AMPosted by Kelzyr
Is it just me, or does she get treated like she doesn't exist?

Good. She was only created to be a WoW writer’s in game trophy wife anyway.
Don't forget the Windrunner twins, the inter-species Windrunners the bi-racial Windrunners, the trans-gendered Windrunners, the non gender conforming Windrunner, the atheist Windrunner, the Islamic Windrunner, the Christian Windrunner, Buddhist Windrunner, Agnostic Windrunner, Liberal Windrunner, Conservative Windrunner, Independent Windrunner, I didn't vote because it don't change nothing Windrunner, I dindu nuffin Windrunner, meme queen Windrunner, Gucci Windrunner, I dont listen to main stream music Windrunner, and last but not least of the Jane Windrunner.
11/15/2018 06:49 AMPosted by Tyierin
11/15/2018 06:34 AMPosted by Kelzyr
Is it just me, or does she get treated like she doesn't exist?

Good. She was only created to be a WoW writer’s in game trophy wife anyway.

Wait, we're talking about Nathanos and Sylvanas now?
11/15/2018 06:42 AMPosted by Eleroleron
Vereesa was literally just created one day, out of the blue, and we all got shocked that there was another windrunner sister....that no one ever heard about.
This is not true. It might appear that way in game, but Vereesa, like all the other elves have been around for generations. Her most heroic acts happened long before the stories in World of Warcraft.

Here is a good source: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Vereesa_Windrunner

She was used as the replacement for the Alleria concept (since Alleria was still defined as 'missing'). She was Alleria in every way except with white hair. She was a ranger, loved the alliance, fell in love with a human man, etc.

When you take a look at her, you begin to realize she had very little depth to begin with.

Vereesa was introduced in the novel Day of the Dragon which was released in 2001, one year before Sylvanas made her debut in Warcraft 3.

Vereesa existed BEFORE Sylvanas.

Please don't spout BS just because you have a disdain for all things Alliance.
With kids looking like her horrid creatures out of a nightmare, hell I dont blame them for refusing to shine light her way
11/15/2018 07:12 AMPosted by Käyn
With kids looking like her horrid creatures out of a nightmare, hell I dont blame them for refusing to shine light her way

roll tide!
One of the biggest issues with a game with a lore as vast as Warcraft is that not every character can get spotlight. There are favourite characters we all have but the Alliance and the Horde have like....30+ well known characters. Can you imagine trying to shoehorn all of them in the story every xpac?

This is understandable in of itself, but I do feel the writers should account for that and not leave certain characters on the wayside for too long. Varessa is one. Baine (before this xpac) barely had any role to play.

So while I understand some characters may not show up much in the run of an xpac, I do often feel like some get left on the bench too long.
11/15/2018 07:06 AMPosted by Ayaani

Vereesa was introduced in the novel Day of the Dragon which was released in 2001, one year before Sylvanas made her debut in Warcraft 3.

Vereesa existed BEFORE Sylvanas.

Please don't spout BS just because you have a disdain for all things Alliance.

She was literally plopped in in Wrath of the Lich King. She was written by an author that had the habit of drawing out random named characters he invented from his head, with a majority that werent added to WoW. She is literally written in the novel as "wanting to follow the footsteps of Alleria", and she indeed became the second coming of Alleria.

Blizzard could have easily used her as the hero in place of Sylvanas yet clearly choose not to...makes you wonder, doesnt it?

Once again:

- She has very little depth
- She was added into WoW as a replacement for Alleria
- She has next to no purpose now

Yes, Vereesa indeed was just made up to be another Alleria and is indeed pointless.
11/15/2018 07:04 AMPosted by Vitalis
This is not true. It might appear that way in game, but Vereesa, like all the other elves have been around for generations. Her most heroic acts happened long before the stories in World of Warcraft.

Here is a good source: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Vereesa_Windrunner

No one is saying she wasnt given a backstory.

Also s a note, try not to use Wowwiki as "a good source", as it has a history of misinformation. Use Wowpedia.
Her raison d'être vanished when Knaak left. She could be playing a central role given how prominent her sisters are.

Maybe if she had become lightforged she could have fit into the narrative thematically at least.
Wasn't Vereesa just made to be Rhonin's (self insert of Richard Knaak if I recall) waifu?

The devs do love their Windrunners.
11/15/2018 07:49 AMPosted by Gávilar
Wasn't Vereesa just made to be Rhonin's (self insert of Richard Knaak if I recall) waifu?

Exactly.

Day of the Dragon was Richard Knaak's story of his own RP character. He couldnt marry him off to Alleria...so he made up Vereesa from his head.

Later on WC3 would come and they decided not to even use Vereesa (makes you wonder, doesnt it?). Blizzard used Sylvanas which truth be told I'd assume that was already in the plans way before it was launched.

He even writes Vereesa wanting to "following in Alleria's footsteps", and describes her as having near identical traits to Alleria as seen in the RTS. It was comical
I mean as long as High Elves aren't playable or she becomes a Void Elf, she's never going to be as prominent as other leaders.

In fact, that she has been as prominent as she has been since WotLK is surprise enough given her status as leader of a non-playable group.

Here's hoping she becomes more prominent again, it's always fun to see reocurring characters pop up again.
11/15/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Eleroleron
11/15/2018 07:49 AMPosted by Gávilar

Exactly.

Day of the Dragon was Richard Knaak's story of his own RP character. He couldnt marry him off to Alleria...so he made up Vereesa from his head.

Later on WC3 would come and they decided not to even use Vereesa (makes you wonder, doesnt it?). Blizzard used Sylvanas which truth be told I'd assume that was already in the plans way before it was launched.

He even writes Vereesa wanting to "following in Alleria's footsteps", and describes her as having near identical traits to Alleria as seen in the RTS. It was comical

Considering where Sylvanas ended up storywise, no wonder they didn't use Vereesa...
11/15/2018 07:59 AMPosted by Talendrion
11/15/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Eleroleron

Exactly.

Considering where Sylvanas ended up storywise, no wonder they didn't use Vereesa...

Or the more logical conclusion that she wasnt in the plans to begin with :P

She wasnt even added to the game until WoTLK and she was 'the new Alleria'.

This is simply not true. Vareesa was in Day of the Dragon, a Warcraft novel that PROCEEDS WC3.

Thanks for completely proving OP's point.

Are you also implying Alleria has depth now?