Thank Goodness Blizzard never...

Wyrmrest Accord
What are some game mechanics you're really, really thankful Blizzard never implemented?

I'll start.

Going "Free-to-play"
(You want to use the bank? Gonna cost you Blizz points. Want a mount? Blizz points. Wanna join a guild? Sorry, VIP members only, and VIP subscriptions are $40 a month. Or you can spend Blizz points to be a VIP member for one month. Blizz points are $40 per point.)
This isn't really a game mechanic per se, but I'm grateful that Blizzard has never ported WoW to consoles, since in my experience console/PC hybrid MMOs tend to disallow the use of addons.
The way Legion Archaeology worked was very similar to how a lot mobile grindy FTP games do content:
You have a two week period to do an exact amount of content, no more, no less.
If you finish, doing more won’t help, doing less won’t count.
If you miss you one, you’ll have to wait a long time for it to come back around randomly.

Oh, and putting dig sites in PvP areas intentionally. I don’t know what sicko thought adding PvP to timed archaeology was a good idea.

I hated Legion archaeology and I’m glad it hasn’t come back.
Bindstones.

They were meant to be a Hearthstone but for graveyards. You could only set it to one location, typically near a major city, and wherever you died, you'd be respawned there and have to make your way back to wherever you were questing.

Or, what I and many others would've likely done, just given up and started questing as close to the city as possible.
Timers on mounts.

Basically you'd shell out like $15-20 on the most basic horse to get from Point A > Point B a little faster than usual, only to realize after thirty minutes of traversing an arguably tiny portion of the map that you only had another forty minutes of use before incurring a daily cooldown.

Considering they could battle (and had actual use depending on how hard you leveled them up), the meta wound up being this incredibly disjointed summon on/off system where you'd perform a combo and finish it off with a well-timed pet's special attack.

It sounds cool and all, 'til you realize the pricetag, timer, and the fact it won't work 99% of the time due to the servers being uncooked spaghetti.

..Besides that, probably those stupid "buy keys on the store!!" dropped lootboxes. Y'know, the ones that generally have nothing in them and they convince you to just keep buying more keys.
New content and zones being forgone in favor of easier-to-make recolors on all content.
Pointlessly complex crafting systems where you have a chance of wasting your mats and coming up with junk because you didn't successfully complete their dumb crafting mini-game.
10/09/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Morrowveil
Pointlessly complex crafting systems where you have a chance of wasting your mats and coming up with junk because you didn't successfully complete their dumb crafting mini-game.

Original EQ2 crafting?
Fishing mini game and if you fail you get nothing or worse, lose bait you had to buy. I really really hate fishing mini games.
This isn't something they NEVER did, but it's something I'm glad they changed.

Hunter ammo.

Thank goodness that's gone.
10/09/2018 06:28 PMPosted by Dineran

Original EQ2 crafting?

One of my friends used to refer to it as "that carpentry simulator game you play."
Single-piece armor sets, no mixing-and-matching.
And they're all thongs.
10/09/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Morrowveil
And they're all thongs.

guild wars 2 outfits were a mistake
10/09/2018 06:50 PMPosted by Liotuse
And they're all thongs.

guild wars 2 outfits were a mistake
Indeed.
And they're all thongs.

Can guys wear thongs in this scenario? I'm asking for a friend...
10/09/2018 09:11 PMPosted by Darayavaus
And they're all thongs.

Can guys wear thongs in this scenario? I'm asking for a friend...

In Requiem they were mandatory.
EGGMODE
https://youtu.be/W1ZKcZbi1rg

This seems like an eggzaggeration but I can think of one MMO that had a CHICKEN MODE where you played... a chicken. And had a LIMITED AMOUNT OF TIME to run to these different points of the map, and you had no defense, so getting hit by a low-level monster would kill you and you'd have to start over. And most of the runs would take 1-3 hours. But...! If you completed all 10, you'd get a cloak with a chicken on it.
10/10/2018 06:59 PMPosted by Morrowveil
eggzaggeration

You're fired.

Also what you just described sounds like the Jani quests.
I'm concerned that this is a stealth thread to give Blizzard ideas.
10/09/2018 06:17 PMPosted by Morrowveil

This is probably one of the biggest things that separates WoW from the dreaded "Korean MMO." A lot of the f2p and Korean-made systems are known for the grinds, and a large part of that has to do with a mix of crafting systems and the best gear being locked behind said crafting systems. Usually involving ultra-rare mats that take forever to get or have to be bought on a real-money store.

WoW's crafting isn't necessarily great, but at least your items aren't locked behind an arbitrary percentage-chance to roll what you need, nor are those items BiS.

Except Archaeology, which I have a lot of opinions about that are better saved for the Professions forum.