Island Expeditions Feel Unrewarding

General Discussion
I heard that semi-recently islands were buffed to have a higher chance at dropping cosmetics, mounts, pets etc... I even heard from some of my friends that indeed they were seeing more drops. So far I've ran at least 100 islands on all difficulties, normal, heroic and many on mythic. I spend most of my time on the island killing rares, doing events, completing the quests, and open every chest. So far I've seen 1 pet and 1 cosmetic weapon. Can anyone confirm this is working as intended?
Thank you
10/13/2018 08:27 PMPosted by Törsten
doing events, completing the quests, and open every chest

All of these things actually seem to bad for people who wants the drops from expeditions. So far the only thing that seems to contribute to getting drops is killing the right type of mobs and rares/elite rares when they are available.
Anything that just gives Azerite, inlcuding the Azerite elementals and rare, make things end faster.
The faster the expedition ends, the less things you kill, the less loot you get.
They are kind of a cluster F. They remind me of wrath naxx trash but it does provide me with a way to gauge new talents/gear in a real world situation
I've been doing rare farming a bit from when they buffed it. I say an increase with the buff on drops from all members in the group. This week I've run a bunch and I've gotten 1 honor bound rep turn in I don't need, no azerite attached. Then 1 quest turn in for azerite. I ask after every run, 1 got an xmog piece. Wasn't keeping hard numbers but at least 20. So 60 shots at loot specifically rare farming. Think the turned the knob down once most figured it out.
I've been doing rare farming a bit from when they buffed it. I say an increase with the buff on drops from all members in the group. This week I've run a bunch and I've gotten 1 honor bound rep turn in I don't need, no azerite attached. Then 1 quest turn in for azerite. I ask after every run, 1 got an xmog piece. Wasn't keeping hard numbers but at least 20. So 60 shots at loot specifically rare farming. Think the turned the knob down once most figured it out. Also only kill any named chest and head for portals asap.
I know this is just me but in rare farming groups on hm, it seems events are spawning less too. We're usually high 7k or mid 8k so gotta make a choice on which rare to kill.
Agreed. They take precious time and that time is generally wasted. If we get a bad group mix (I was in a two mage, one rogue group once - lots of squish), or if we get idiots that pull half the island and keep wiping everyone, we also die a lot and wind up with repair bills - bills that are particularly annoying given how stingy Blizz has been with gold rewards this expac - as in, almost nothing actually gives us gold. Including Island Expeditions.

Azerite does NOT feel like a reward. I personally don't feel any stronger for all the quests I do that reward it. Azerite is so unimportant to me that I wouldn't even do IEs if it weren't for the pets and mounts...which feel practically impossible to get, even with trying to kill (and not kill) all the right things.

So there are no gold rewards and no guaranteed loot bags from IEs. There's no rep rewards. You MIGHT get doubloons, but given they're only good for the (largely underwhelming) consumables for use in the IEs, as a reward they're more a slap in the face.

I've gotten three pets after many dozens of runs. Two were the same and you can't cage them, so the second was like getting nothing (and I got them the SAME DAY..grrrr). I got one blue 325 weapon that's meh for transmog, but at least I was able to give it to a new 120 to upgrade one of their weapons. I've gotten a toy or two that I'll never use. I got a pair of low level, uncommon quality boots that weren't even a new or unique xmog - I already had the appearance from a previous expac.

That's all I've gotten after well over a hundred runs across four toons. That. Is. Not. Rewarding.
this whole game feels unrewarding, between garbage RNG, awful personal loot system, I have never felt so unrewarded playing a game. Legion was pretty bad too but this is just worse.
Bad rng, I did about 15-20 islands today as someone told me it was good to level Alts and I got a dead monkey pet, parrot mount, a hook cosmetic weapon and a pirate hat and a toy candle that goes on your head
I'd just like to highlight something folks have been pointing out: interesting rewards (pets, mounts, etc) seem to be tied to specific rares, which become unavailable once enough azerite is collected.

So actually doing the core gameplay mechanic of this feature (collecing azerite) actually REDUCES your chances of getting rewarded.

Just... how did this get greenlit? Did nobody point this out internally? If they did, did no one listen? What the heck is going on?!?
I think I've got maybe 4 pets, 2 toys, one weapon, a few transmog greens (I already have) and some quests across 3 characters. Doubloon bags don't drop a lot but seem to be more frequent drops than anything else.

I mostly run Normal, sometimes Heroic and never Mythic or PvP. I haven't counted my runs but I'm guessing way less than 100.

I'd probably run them more if we got something other than a bag of rocks out of it lol. More cosmetic stuff would be fun. Yeah, Azerite isn't the most exciting reward. Another bag of rocks....yippeee....