Black Dragons? Whut?

Story Forum
So somehow even I missed this until it was brought up by Taliesin & Evitel, but I'll go ahead and blame it on being so incredibly disappointed by island expeditions that I just didn't care to look when they made these announcements.
As some players have noticed, we’ve been adding invasion-style events featuring new types of creatures to Island Expeditions every week. Aside from adding a little variety, these also give you a chance to earn different cosmetic rewards.

Here's a schedule for the remaining events which will be added each week over the next couple of months:

Week of October 9 (this week): Water Elementals
Week of October 16: Air Elementals
Week of October 23: Black Dragons
Week of October 30: Tol’vir
Week of November 6: Twilight Dragons
Week of November 13: Old Gods
So Wrathion and Ebonhorn are gonna come by and just yell at us during our wacky island antics, or is this another case like Astarii or Derek Proudmoore's locations and/or conditions where someone isn't paying attention? Or will they pretend that they were paying attention and name drop that one dragon in Outland (while neglecting to clarify on the whole dark portal situation) that you probably forgot about in an interview long after this goes through? Place your bets.
blizzard forgetting their own lore?

my surprise is palpable
They drop a quest specifically pointing out how there shouldn't be any, and how these ones look young. It's not forgetting old stuff, it's a plot hook.

Keep in mind, Deathwing never put his power inside the Dragon Soul so the black flight never became infertile after Cata.
Aren't twilight dragons suppose to be extinct as well?
10/14/2018 05:14 PMPosted by Shobbs

We learned those came back in the shaman stuff in Legion. Sinestra is talking to them from beyond the grave.
10/14/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Reignac
They drop a quest specifically pointing out how there shouldn't be any, and how these ones look young.

So are these Black Dragons the millennials?
10/14/2018 05:14 PMPosted by Shobbs

Remember the Dragon Soul raid? We have a twilight dragon female escape. That was Gariona, and survives to this day. She is likely reproducing the flight.

Then there's Zeryxia back during Legion as a matron of the Twilight Dragonflight and she was able to repopulate her flight. So yeah, plenty of Twilight dragons.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Goriona

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Zeryxia
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Unscarred_Black_Scale_(quest)
10/14/2018 05:21 PMPosted by Willfred
Remember the Dragon Soul raid? We have a twilight dragon female escape. That was Gariona, and survives to this day. She is likely reproducing the flight. Then there's Zeryxia back during Legion as a matron of the Twilight Dragonflight and she was able to repopulate her flight. So yeah, plenty of Twilight dragons.

Gosh people in WoW just don't know how to genocide properly. Black dragons, twilight dragons, night elves. All still alive.

Speaking of supposedly dead dragons, what ever happened to that abomination that was similar to Ultraxion they put down in a book but wasn't properly killed? The dragon aspects aren't exactly in a position to contain it anymore.
10/14/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Galenar
Remember the Dragon Soul raid? We have a twilight dragon female escape. That was Gariona, and survives to this day. She is likely reproducing the flight. Then there's Zeryxia back during Legion as a matron of the Twilight Dragonflight and she was able to repopulate her flight. So yeah, plenty of Twilight dragons.

Gosh people in WoW just don't know how to genocide properly. Black dragons, twilight dragons, night elves. All still alive.
Your guild name is very relevant.
10/14/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Lëora

I'm just saying I'd like the Forsaken to get off my lawn.
10/14/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Galenar

Speaking of supposedly dead dragons, what ever happened to that abomination that was similar to Ultraxion they put down in a book but wasn't properly killed? The dragon aspects aren't exactly in a position to contain it anymore.

Chromatus, he's still "turned off" and in prison. I'm convinced he was originally going to be in Ultraxion's place in DS but Ultraxion replaced him instead, maybe because they couldn't get the model to look right. I mean think about it:
-Both of them are "ultimate creations."
-Ultraxion drops a chromatic drake mount even though he's twilight. Chromatus was chromatic though.
-Chromatus hasn't been heard from since.
-The Twilight's Hammer was randomly inside the Eye of Eternity right before the Ultraxion fight, the same place Chromatus is imprisoned.
10/14/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Galenar
10/14/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Lëora

I'm just saying I'd like the Forsaken to get off my lawn.
”I spent fifteen-thousand and fifteen years getting my lawn just right, then these HOOLIGANS come along and start throwing their blight and leaving their zombies everywhere!”
10/14/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Reignac
Chromatus, he's still "turned off" and in prison.

I'm surprised Blizzard haven't reused him as a raid boss yet. Even if he's not thematically fitting for a particular raid it'd make sense for some enemy to steal away the corpse of something that powerful and work to reanimate it. They also have multi headed enemies now(did they before?) so there's precedent for the model design, just add more heads.
It'd be pretty easy to use him in the style of the Throne of Thunder hydra boss, I think.
Yeah or that. Though I feel like they'd have to come up with a way to actually unmake him, funnily enough, like Deathwing given his resistance to being destroyed last time. Say what you want about Nefarian but he builds a solid mad science monster.
To beat him last time the Aspects had to combine their essences into a Golden Beam.

In otherwords we need Fire, Life, Dream, Arcane, Mana, Time and Earth infused into a single enchantment for all our weapons to even harm him!

Time Magic can be found on the Eye of Aman'Thul, Arcane can be acquired from the Nexus, the Dream can be found in the Emerald Dream, Life can be grabbed from the Primals invading Kalimdor, Fire can be grabbed from the Firelands and Earth can be found in the Hammer of Khaz'gorath or from Deepholm.

In otherwords we need a tour around Azeroth to get the regents we need to take out Chromatus!
Honestly, at this point it's becoming increasingly clear they just want to have fun with their 20+ year creation. WoW is going to become more in line with their other major titles: silly and accessible. The dev's just see story and lore as a burden that gets in the way of creating their fan service playground.
Ha. All that work for nothing. Less than nothing. The dragonflights are infertile and victorious but the black dragonflight in defeat will be the ones to live on. They gave up tomorrow for those who won't even bother to remember them.

This is why Nozdormu will go mad.
Keep in mind, Deathwing never put his power inside the Dragon Soul so the black flight never became infertile after Cata.

This will never not be dumb. It will never not be cruel.