Can we even recapture Vanilla community?

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
lemme tell you a story about what happened on a PServer. so this was recently.

so one day one of my raiders got screwed over by the member of another raiding guild. And since I was the GM, I made a complaint about that player and their actions.

within a day, the community had reacted accordingly to that player, essentially shunning them, and within no time at all that player apologized and what have you for what they did.

this would never happen today.. the guy would just name change.

the communities on these classic servers will be tight nit, blacklists will exist. "honor" or whatever you wanna call it will return to most players so they don't get a bad rap and rejected from every group they whisper.
10/24/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Tundren
The community hasn't changed much honestly...

A lot of people were jerks before.... a lot will be jerks now.

The forums have DEFINITELY never changed....

It not being cross realm and having to find your own groups will help things a little bit.

That's BS you were dependant on other 39 people at least to get gear which was very scarce. Current 70% jerks was not even 5 in Vanilla. Current Wow has jerks fully raid epic geared in few days, it took years , months effort for 40 man raids 5 days a week.
Very doubtful the old community can be recaptured. Seems the more the world has become connected the more disconnected the people living in it have become.
10/24/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Covfefe
I feel like it might be too late to recapture the community of Vanilla.

I mean, it was a long time ago and the culture today is much more used to instant access content, and a passion for politics.

Facebook wasn’t as prevalent, I don’t really remember ever even hearing about FB till 2007 or so. I haven’t had one in like 6 years, it’s just such a political cesspool.

I’m not trying to poop on Classic or what it could be, it could be the greatest thing ever.

But, I’m really afraid that a lot of us are gonna go into this with this expectation that we’re gonna be reliving the “glory days” with the friends and personalities we enjoyed back then.

When, realistically, all of us have changed since then. Many of us changed a lot.

Are WE the ones who killed Retail? Will WE kill Classic, too?

Deep thoughts...

Nah, play on any server which must not be named. It isn't the exact same, but it's definitely way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than anything live has had to offer in years.

There's trolls everywhere. But, once you make guilds matter? The community follows.
10/24/2018 06:39 AMPosted by Melima
Nope as current Wow's general pop is the instant gratification millennial, who die once and quit no chance.

It is a generational issue, those people have responsible jobs/ families by now, who actually was caring/organizing things in Vanilla and could put huge amount of time playing not for gold/free epics.

You do realize that most of the players in 2003 were also millenials right? Did you know that the people turning 18 this year are in fact, not millenials? Shocking, I know.
I don't have the delusion that it will be a spitting image of what the community was like in vanilla. There are too many options for people to communicate and together through 3rd party resources (discord, twitch, ect) that put certain players within certain circles. However there are certain things that can't be taken away from the way the game was played, and that is that player interaction is required in so many different ways that it can't be stripped entirely. The single servers, will allow people to build reputations both good and bad, as well as create friendships through trivial task, because there is a decent chance you will run into those players again one way or another.
10/24/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Covfefe
I feel like it might be too late to recapture the community of Vanilla.

I mean, it was a long time ago and the culture today is much more used to instant access content, and a passion for politics.

Facebook wasn’t as prevalent, I don’t really remember ever even hearing about FB till 2007 or so. I haven’t had one in like 6 years, it’s just such a political cesspool.

I’m not trying to poop on Classic or what it could be, it could be the greatest thing ever.

But, I’m really afraid that a lot of us are gonna go into this with this expectation that we’re gonna be reliving the “glory days” with the friends and personalities we enjoyed back then.

When, realistically, all of us have changed since then. Many of us changed a lot.

Are WE the ones who killed Retail? Will WE kill Classic, too?

Deep thoughts...

The community will reform so long as there are not to many servers.
No you cannot recapture the same community in wow classic as they back then, same way as you cannot recapture the internet it was back in the day only filled with nerds.

But you can be selective on who you invite into a guild and have a sub community there.
I have had concerns about the community but not for a lot of the reasons here.

In retail today (well, last time I subbed for a month 12-18 months ago) I can't walk into a city without my eyes bleeding due to a wall of text rampant with trolling and memes. I'm not sure why that is. I can ignore the memes usually but I can do without the trolling (i.e. the verbal equivalent of PvP griefing where the sole purpose is to waste someone else's time for no benefit beyond amusement). For some reason, that is a thing everywhere on the internet these days and I don't know that there is any model (subscription, etc.) or any community environment that would suppress the behavior. If there are folks from pservers who have seen community management work, I'd love to hear about it.

A guild community can control that kind of behavior but part of the point of vanilla community was the public channels and grouping for dungeons and such. That's dependent on public channels being useful instead of being Barrens chat everywhere.

Honestly, my concerns for Classic are centered on the community at this point. I'm not hardcore #nochanges... I'm going to get the gameplay I want... Talent trees back and meaningful. Classes with roles and specializations (or flexibility/generalization). I don't care about the framework changes and I don't really care what they do with the graphics. I am concerned, especially with the degree of trolling in these forums, that some portion of the current community is focused on destroying the Classic experience and unless Blizzard does something with the sub model to control it I expect them to be rampant on the Classic services at launch and possibly for a long time after.
Honestly if you want an instant glimpse of what your classic community will be like, turn in to the top stream in wow's area of twitch, the casuals and the memelords are the largest part of this community.
How can you guys not remember the trolls back then? Your looking at the game with rose colored glasses. The community was far from perfect. I will refresh your memory. Ninja looters, campers, thieves, and trolls everywhere. I remember one time I went to get an enchant in vanilla and opened trade with someone. I have them all the mats and they logged out lol. I opened a ticket but they said there was nothing they could do and I don't think I got my mats back but it's been like 14 years so I can't remember. Another time I asked about a quest on trade chat and trolls came at me from every direction. Honestly both these instances made me a smarter and better player. I never trusted anyone I didn't know after the thief and I learned not to ask dumb questions in trade lol. My point is the game was not some perfect thing where everyone helped each other and got along.
Lots of really good points here, and you know I guess after a few months, everyone who doesn’t wanna be there will have left.

I think it actually took me like 3 months just to hit 60 with sort of casual play and going with whatever I heard was stuff I should do. It was also on a PvP server and I was at an age when I had plenty of time to sit around getting camped lol.

There was some epic cat and mouse camping going on at SM portals and the portals around Blackrock Spire, then they all wound up at Ramparts portal when TBC launched.
Oh, I agree that there were problems. They were rarer though.

I know I heard about people scamming for enchanting mats like you mention or stealing lockboxes and such but it happened once or twice and then they had a rep and people avoided them. Problem solved.

Also, chat was more useful. There was noise and even trolling (there's a reason Mankrik's wife became a meme) but I never had to turn off the public channels in Org/Shatt/Dal. Last time I logged into retail Org public channels were a dumpster fire.
If they are allowing Xrealm feature to classic wow then server reputation won't mean a thing. But if they don't, what you do on your server will effect your play 10 fold.
10/24/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Astranador
If they are allowing Xrealm feature to classic wow then server reputation won't mean a thing. But if they don't, what you do on your server will effect your play 10 fold.

I will eat my hat if there isnt full account services from the get go lol.
I believe some of us will. I've seen enough voices here with a similar desire and mindset. All we have to do is gradually find, and friend, each other in-game.

In fact, the Battle.Net chat integration could be beneficial on this side. I always had issues with the 50-player limit on the default friend list, especially because I'm an altoholic and often find myself friends with altoholics. Every alt took up a friend slot. B.Net will let us have one listing, and not care which alt we're on. (I know, it's not for everyone. Some prefer hiding on a secret alt over having to say no.)

That said, there will always be trolls. There will always be hateful and/or unethical people. But in a closed ecosystem (single realm, single faction), those people will gradually drive others away from them.

It's really not that much different from this forum. If you give more of your attention to the trolls and trouble-stirrers, there's no good discussion going on. But if you ignore some of the worst, you start seeing the good and the ones who think and discuss. (I'm not talking worst in the "disagrees with me" sense. I'm talking worst in the "attacks other posters rather than ideas" sense.)
10/24/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Buzzkeel
Ninja looters, campers, thieves, and trolls everywhere.

I played on Hyjal and I remember the "unofficial blacklist of ninja looters" that several guilds shared.

I also remember seeing in trade chat someone calling a troll out. Your reputation very much mattered. There were trolls out there for sure but they got punished.

10/24/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Astranador

This is about as truth as it gets.
People on pservers are pretty mellow compared to retail. /Shrug
The environment of the game shapes the community.
Community has always been a reactionary variable to environment. If you put in the obstacles, people will group. If you remove the crossrealm, people will have reputation, etc.
There will be a community for sure. But the vanilla community? That's impossible unless you have a time machine.