Block Add Ons for Classic WoW!

Classic Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
That's not vanilla. Vanilla was healers spamming 1 uber macro that picked the most efficient skill/rank for whoever you had targeted. Vanilla was using addons. Vanilla was easy with the exception that 40 people is a pain in the !@# to come by and even harder to get 40 people worth grouping with who know what they're doing.

Stop trying to change vanilla just because people are more capable and aware of everything now-a-days and want those addons to supplement their game play. You will never recapture what you really want from the game: the mystery and novelty of the game. That was never on the table.
As much as I dislike addons, they were a thing back in the day, and many guilds required them.
Deadly Boss Mods immediately comes to mind.
A lot of players used convenience addons as well, such as Quest Helper, Bagnon, and one to track gathering nodes (the name escapes me at the moment).
They were a part of Vanilla, so learn to accept them. Even if, like me, you don't like them.
Only terrible players didn't use addons in vanilla
I always find these threads funny because the addons we had in Vanilla were actually more powerful than the ones we have now.
10/24/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Mumbles
As I recall Blizzard was against add-ons in Vanilla. After every patch the add-ons would be broken and the add-on makers would have to release new versions. They didnt want players "cheating" the content with boss ability timers. At some point I think they updated their interface to include some of the more popular add-ons in Vanilla to discourage users from using the add-ons. Am I remembering this incorrectly?

No, that’s false. Addons broke due to variations in the way the interface worked, and limitations in what addons could do from version to version.

Blizzard went out of their way to help addon creators with updated information, developer packs of info, and detailed updates on UI changes, and LUA functions.
10/24/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Cowkiller
and yes there where addons for wow vanilla
cowkiller was my main vanilla wow and yes i have full tier 1 pally gear took just 1.4 years of raiding MC with 40 people buffinga 5 min buff non group 1250 times in 1 4 hr mc raid yes you need addons

I *will* say that you don't absolutely need add-ons but the game is very different with and without. Managing downranking manually is possible but there is a serious issue with bar-space if you are playing without add-ons to either manage downranking or manage bar space somehow.

Threat is another issue that add-ons worked around. When DPS-check encounters exist, the ability to see threat and maximize DPS without pulling off the tank is much easier, making faster, cleaner progression possible.

I've raided without add-ons (specifically as a challenge like a pre-WotLK achievement) and it is a much sloppier (funnier) experience.
10/24/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Rastlin
I propose that all add ons be blocked when Classic WoW is played.

While there were add ons back then, they were not really part of gameplay for most players. Certainly not to the extent it is today.

I therefore do hereby propose that all add ons to WoW be blocked in the classic version of gameplay.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,
Rastlin

Is this a troll? It smells like a troll. It can't possibly not be a troll. Most people used addons.
10/24/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Sosassy
Only terrible players didn't use addons in vanilla

OP has a certain kind of history.

Let's just say he's one of those that won't make it past level 30.
As I recall Blizzard was against add-ons in Vanilla. After every patch the add-ons would be broken and the add-on makers would have to release new versions. They didnt want players "cheating" the content with boss ability timers. At some point I think they updated their interface to include some of the more popular add-ons in Vanilla to discourage users from using the add-ons. Am I remembering this incorrectly?

Wrong. LUA was undergoing changes and Blizzard doesn't own LUA.
Get out
So throw out the baby with the bathwater, basically?

No UI mods for those who would rather see their action buttons in a rectangle (kind of like a phone keypad) or a square minimap?

No RP addons for those who like to put descriptions of what others see looking at their character, since the model customization is limited?

No bag addons to help sort and find items in our inventory (or just make the backpack, bags, and bank easier to view)?

No mailbox addon if we get the original mail one item at a time functionality?

No gold-saving or accounting addons to track what we've collected and spent? No AH addons to help sort by price per item, price per stack, etc.?

No threat-tracking addons. No loot list addons.

No HUD for those who would rather see health and resource around their character than up in the top left corner?

LOL, no Bejeweled addon. (Okay ... yeah ... that's terribly unconvincing. I remember how much drama that causes when it came around.)

Basically, most anti-addon requests narrowly focus on addons that were used in raiding, or sometimes in PvP, with ones like GearScore or the early day botting versions of Decursive or Healbot. (And, in case it isn't obvious, I would rather have addons available, using the modern API, with Blizzard carefully breaking the ones they feel go too far.)
10/24/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Rastlin
10/24/2018 08:57 AMPosted by Osirus
Then don't use them.
Classic wow should be set exactly as it was back then.

And add ons were not much of a thing back then. Certainly not like today.
That's true. But there were still a sh ... er, metric tonne of them if you knew where to go to get them. SpartanUI, Questhelper, Bartender, RangeFinder, PallyPower, and a bunch more. The difference between then and now is people used them if they wanted to use them, not because some elitist group REQUIRED them.
10/24/2018 09:34 AMPosted by Nefarious
No, that’s false. Addons broke due to variations in the way the interface worked, and limitations in what addons could do from version to version.

Blizzard went out of their way to help addon creators with updated information, developer packs of info, and detailed updates on UI changes, and LUA functions.
I like you; I like the way you think, I like what you say. :-)
10/24/2018 09:34 AMPosted by Nefarious

I thought at first, like maybe 2004-2005, Blizzard was against it. But then in later 2005, they changed and they started being add on friendly.
I know this is probably a troll thread,or at least I hope it is because banning all addons would probably kill the game.
10/24/2018 11:33 AMPosted by Mumbles
I thought at first, like maybe 2004-2005, Blizzard was against it. But then in later 2005, they changed and they started being add on friendly.

By the time I started playing Blizzard was already completely OK with addons, although there were some they broke intentionally because they did too much - thinking the original Decursive that basically dispelled everything for you. Still, addons were a huge thing, and Blizzard was seriously working to help addon authors do their thing.
10/24/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Yazfizbash
I know this is probably a troll thread,or at least I hope it is because banning all addons would probably kill the game.

The idea of in some way limiting or throttling Add-ons isn't actually that 'troll-y'.

The Retail API takes from the game far more information than the vanilla game ever provided to the players. A simple to understand example is - "Onyxia takes in a deep breath..."
10/24/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Rastlin
I propose that all add ons be blocked when Classic WoW is played

Not going to happen.
Rastlin is now known on GD as a very dedicated troll. Guess he's here now to try and troll others.
It appears many people need addons to play the game for them.

Well blocking them at the start and providing copies of the addons that people may of been required for raiding would be different.