BlizzCon 2018: The Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Wyrmrest Accord
So next weekend, we have BlizzCon. Expect Diablo news (but not too much!), WoW news, OverWatch stages/heroes/PvE?, and who knows what else.

Also Train, for some God-forsaken reason, is the closing band. OW stage has Hodor Hodoring some tunes, and HotS stage will have Lindsay Stirling.
It's kind of funny that Lindsey Stirling is considerably bigger than Train nowadays and is being put on the HotS stage. Kinda cool she's playing, though, and having multiple stages is a nice idea.
10/25/2018 09:12 AMPosted by Serph
It's kind of funny that Lindsey Stirling is considerably bigger than Train nowadays and is being put on the HotS stage. Kinda cool she's playing, though, and having multiple stages is a nice idea.

Yeah, I'm baffled at the choice of Train, but Stirling is a cool pick.

Maybe they went with Train because the last time they mattered as a band was around when Vanilla launched.
My favorite thing about Blizzcon is how their viewing party planner thing has non-cynical bingo.

https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/page_media/0t/0TLXDG9Q2D6W1538673078172.pdf
I play every Blizzard game semi-competitively except for Overwatch so here's my brief - I do apologize, but most of it is weirdly negative:

I'm not looking forward to most WoW news, like, at all. At this point we've all argued it, debated it, and speculated it to death. I'm tired, and after we've jumped through all the hoops of total absurdity that I'm just on auto-pilot through PvP and dungeons anyway, and I doubt they're going to announce new battlegrounds or dungeons.

Team 5 needs to announce something big in regards to Hearthstone rather than just a new expansion or they're going to find themselves in a role-reversal soon with all of the up and coming TCG / CCGs. I've spent (frankly) an embarrassing amount of money on Hearthstone during the Year of the Raven only to find the game style set in place by KotFT to be immovable.

I don't have a lot of hope for StarCraft 2 now that they've started monetizing the most popular arcade games. Honestly, I don't even know what I'd want out of SC2 that isn't already there. It's just... there.

Diablo, Diablo, Diablo. I lost a lot of the wind in my sails when we got an announcement of an announcement that ended up being DERABLER THREE ON THE SWITCH. Every announcement since seems to be acknowledging that was probably a really rude tease on their part but DON'T FORGET ABOUT DERABLER THREE ON THE SWITCH. We also had that quasi-cryptic announcement about them working on exciting things they might or might not be able to share.

Stirling was a good pick. Train less so.

My expectation bar is set pretty low but hey, that means pretty much anything they do outside the norm means guaranteed interest from me.

I'm worried any radical "new" ideas will just be a retread of WoW Classic or StarCraft Remastered, a clumsy if not well meaning attempt to grasp nostalgia. Yeah I'd buy an rebuild of WarCraft 3 but after beating it again once and going "Neat" it'd drop out of memory.

Blizzard lost a lot of their charisma players this year, from Brode to Morhaime, Metzen stepping out of the limelight, etc. It's gonna be a weird feeling BlizzCon.
10/25/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Opherial
Blizzard lost a lot of their charisma players this year, from Brode to Morhaime, Metzen stepping out of the limelight, etc.

I think this is actually a really big point. Kaplan is still around for Overwatch, but let's be real here, he's not a big personality guy like Brode and Metzen are. He's great at communication, and obviously tries to engage with the OW playerbase, but he's not out there yelling to the crowd or Seth Rogen-laughing at his own jokes.

Hazzikostas and Allen just don't have player-interaction personalities. They both come off extremely dry and matter-of-fact, which might work fine in text but at a convention just won't get people excited.

I also agree that I don't know if there's much to look forward to this year. Diablo news will probably be the Netflix show and some kind of placation since they basically squashed the Diablo 4 rumor. WoW is likely going to be 8.1 and maybe like 8.1.5 news (I'm secretly hoping to get the Zandie/KT race unlock bomb drop but who knows). Overwatch will probably be the biggest show, maybe a new cinematic and hero announcement, or a map/mode. I don't play HS or HotS, so I can't say there's anything for me to look forward to there, personally.
Oh jeez. I play HotS regularly and I forgot to say anything about potential there. I guess I can't do a write-up that explains my hype meter bearing any better than that.
Predictions:
Something big or nothing at all except new DLC-ish stuff for Starcraft.
Nothing for Diablo.
Content patch showcase and some Classic stuff for Warcraft.
Next adventure/expansion for Hearthstone.
Like. Maybe one new character and a short for Overwatch?
Two or more heroes for Heroes of the Storm.

What I really want:
Diablo 1, 2, and Lord of Destruction remastered announced.
Warcraft 3 remastered maybe?
Diablo 4 or a new genre'd entry for Diablo.
3+ characters announced for Heroes.
Excited, flight leaves in 5 days for California! Will be wearing my new Dawnsky badge and our Thundermoon guild t-shirts!
At this point I'd be happy with KT and Zandalar racials and class options. And a firm release date.
Higher price tag for less stuff I give a crap about. Might be the first digital ticket I don't bother with.
Greymane cinematic?
Knocking back to page one now that this thread will be relevant soon!

Blizz is taking QA questions in the GD forum:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769758452?page=1

Lot of folks getting antsy about Worgen/Goblin updates, not that I blame them.
Give me the real WarCraft Classic - remaster WarCraft: Orcs vs Humans and WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness/Beyond the Dark Portal.

10/25/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Opherial
Team 5 needs to announce something big in regards to Hearthstone rather than just a new expansion or they're going to find themselves in a role-reversal soon with all of the up and coming TCG / CCGs. I've spent (frankly) an embarrassing amount of money on Hearthstone during the Year of the Raven only to find the game style set in place by KotFT to be immovable.

I lost interest in Hearthstone during Journey to Un'Goro. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links and Magic the Gathering: Arena are just a lot more fun. I used to be an adherent of Elder Scrolls Legends, but they went full on Hearthstone really quick and I've not bothered to look at it since the Dark Brotherhood adventure.