Re-invent affixes

General Discussion
(This is not a complaint, just a discussion) I think that affixes are too boring, yet also heavily influence certain dungeons given on the different affixes each week. For example this weeks affixes with Tyrannical and Bolstering create massive time humps when combined, compared to when they are on their own -- Making instances such as siege and shrine difficult to get within the timer even with good dps.

Tyrannical and Bolstering are just health and damage increases to the instances fights, they already get those buffs from the level of the key you're attempting.

The point I'm getting at is, make affixes more interesting, Diablo 3 has done this well, with different creatures having different abilities such as ice novas, arcane beams etc, they actually bring some variety to the game that you play over and over.

I think this would be a lot more interesting and involving for WoW players pushing the keys without making a certain week of a current combination of affixes difficult to push as compared to other weeks with different affixes, when they are the exact same dungeon.

When people avoid doing instances because of a certain combination of affixes is preventing them from reaching a key level that they could easily do a week before, they tend to call them non-pushing weeks, therefore not playing the game as much as they would and only doing 1 +10 key to get their weekly chest.
Yeah lets make more annoying affixes

One at a time: all aoe damage damages nearby allies :)
10/28/2018 11:49 PMPosted by Wariya

Immolate: You and your party on fire. All the time. Even when there’s no trash.
New affix: One random party member will be disconnected every 60 seconds.
10/28/2018 11:46 PMPosted by Sean
(This is not a complaint, just a discussion) I think that affixes are too boring, yet also heavily influence certain dungeons given on the different affixes each week. For example this weeks affixes with Tyrannical and Bolstering create massive time humps when combined, compared to when they are on their own -- Making instances such as siege and shrine difficult to get within the timer even with good dps.

Tyrannical and Bolstering are just health and damage increases to the instances fights, they already get those buffs from the level of the key you're attempting.

The point I'm getting at is, make affixes more interesting, Diablo 3 has done this well, with different creatures having different abilities such as ice novas, arcane beams etc, they actually bring some variety to the game that you play over and over.

I think this would be a lot more interesting and involving for WoW players pushing the keys without making a certain week of a current combination of affixes difficult to push as compared to other weeks with different affixes, when they are the exact same dungeon.

When people avoid doing instances because of a certain combination of affixes is preventing them from reaching a key level that they could easily do a week before, they tend to call them non-pushing weeks, therefore not playing the game as much as they would and only doing 1 +10 key to get their weekly chest.
I've always liked bolstering, as it lets you create fun new bosses (still remembering that giant murloc with 50m health in Eye of Azshara) :D

But I'm always up for new affix ideas!

Back when we were playing table-top RP games (Dungeons & Dragons, etc.), you always had to consider whether friendly players would be caught in your fireball, and even whether the mob you were shooting with an arrow was in melee with your friend. I understand why we don't have friendly fire in WoW, but it's one of the least realistic aspects of the game. :D
Affix: WTF?

Upon entering a M+ dungeon, All enemies will be randomly replaced with trash/bosses from any raid/dungeon in the game scaled to the current dungeon level and difficulty.

Good Luck.
10/28/2018 11:52 PMPosted by Kromtarn

Immolate: You and your party on fire. All the time. Even when there’s no trash.

It could work, there would have to be safe zones u could get to though so the healer and drink and top everyone up and be an optimal area to pull mobs to. Balanced immolate though, none of this 20% hp per second :p
Affix: There is nothing left.
Description: Players can't turn their characters to the left, left turning disabled.

Affix: Pub-Crawl
Description: Player characters are always drunk through out the dungeon (100%).

Affix: Red Headed Step Child
Description: All player characters are now creepy redheads, when/if you die you can not be resurrected as you have no soul.

Affix: The Wheelchair Waltz
Description: All player keybinds are randomly rebound to different keys without the knowledge of the player.
10/29/2018 12:26 AMPosted by Misren
Description: All player characters are now creepy redheads, when/if you die you can not be resurrected as you have no soul.

Liar!

I have a soul... actually multiple souls...

I keep them in a pretty box on top of the fridge.
10/29/2018 12:26 AMPosted by Misren
Affix: There is nothing left.
Description: Players can't turn their characters to the left, left turning disabled.

Affix: Pub-Crawl
Description: Player characters are always drunk through out the dungeon (100%).

Affix: The Wheelchair Waltz
Description: All player keybinds are randomly rebound to different keys without the knowledge of the player.

Still probably better ideas than wat a certain small indie gaming company could come up with... They only have a few people there so they can't really bounce ideas off of each other.
10/28/2018 11:57 PMPosted by Hugurmugg

Back when we were playing table-top RP games (Dungeons & Dragons, etc.), you always had to consider whether friendly players would be caught in your fireball, and even whether the mob you were shooting with an arrow was in melee with your friend. I understand why we don't have friendly fire in WoW, but it's one of the least realistic aspects of the game. :D

I use to purposely ram my Flaming Sphere into my party. Also was prone to rolling it through farm fields....and houses.

I may have had a bit of an arson problem.
Mana draining: combat drains mana of the healer at an increasingly steady rate
Vengeful: non-boss enemies randomly smack the second highest on threat with 10-90% (depending on + lvl) of their power
Focused: non-boss enemies ignore threat and go after the one to hit them first
Decimating: boss mobs do more damage the more people are hit by their attacks, not counting "hits all" AoE
10/29/2018 02:38 AMPosted by Antiman

Isn't that already in the game under the "Bad DPS" affix?
10/29/2018 02:50 AMPosted by Mysfyre
10/29/2018 02:38 AMPosted by Antiman

Isn't that already in the game under the "Bad DPS" affix?

Na, that would be mana BURN, as in the bad DPS cause the healer to burn though their mana keeping them alive. This is more a slow, if steady and increasing, drain that would serve as more a soft enrage for fights. Idea would be to limit chain pulls and long periods of combat. The slower/increasing drain would be so that as long as boss fights were reasonable length, healers might feel a little pressure but still get through.
Suppression Field -- Defeated enemies emit a suppression field. Standing in the area will reduce your movement speed by 90% and your damage and healing by 50%. (10 yard radius.)

Vortex -- Friendly players within 15 yards are drawn to the Vortex target (random player). Lasts 20sec. A new target is chosen every 30sec. (Pull strength is similar to Normal-mode MOTHER, but slightly weaker.)

Tether -- Two random players become tethered together. Standing further than 8 yards will deal significant damage. Stacks. Lasts up to 20sec. (Applied every 30sec.)

Polybomb -- Periodically summons a Polybomb at a random player's location. Any players caught in the effect are Polymorphed for 10 seconds. (Cannot be dispelled.)

I think these would be okay. Not difficult, but they are slightly annoying. Aside from Polybomb, these impact positioning, which is a bit more fun to react to.
10/29/2018 03:42 AMPosted by Cyouskin
Suppression Field -- Defeated enemies emit a suppression field. Standing in the area will reduce your movement speed by 90% and your damage and healing by 50%. (10 yard radius.)

Vortex -- Friendly players within 15 yards are drawn to the Vortex target (random player). Lasts 20sec. A new target is chosen every 30sec. (Pull strength is similar to Normal-mode MOTHER, but slightly weaker.)

Tether -- Two random players become tethered together. Standing further than 8 yards will deal significant damage. Stacks. Lasts up to 20sec. (Applied every 30sec.)

Polybomb -- Periodically summons a Polybomb at a random player's location. Any players caught in the effect are Polymorphed for 10 seconds. (Cannot be dispelled.)

I think these would be okay. Not difficult, but they are slightly annoying. Aside from Polybomb, these impact positioning, which is a bit more fun to react to.

Those are the affixes I sure would like to see implemented. Those mechanics would work well with the current dungeons. RIP group though if the healer gets polybombed haha
Albatross Revenge
Every 5 minutes a giant seagull comes down from the sky and picks up one random member of the group.

None shall forget the seagulls of Legion.

Gnomemadness
Every member is morphed into a gnome. Your height matters against obstacles and you receive 10% more physical damage.