Pronunciation?

General Discussion
What I really want to know is...is it " mem me " or " meem "
The second one, "meem". Rhymes with "beam".
Meem. But, is it blue and black or white and gold?
I cant believe you consulted wow gd instead of any online thesaurus out there.
The person who invented the word is a.) still alive and b.) has repeatedly stated on record that he coined it to be reminiscent of "gene", and it is pronounced "meem". Memetics is a branch of semiotics, the study of signs, symbols and meaning.
I cant believe you consulted wow gd instead any online thesaurus out there.

We're a far more reliable source
10/31/2018 10:52 PMPosted by Moonrain
I cant believe you consulted wow gd instead any online thesaurus out there.

Isn't this one of the places where they grow though?
It's pronounced with a hard G.
The bigger question is, why would you want him to question the thesaurus instead of a dictionary.
10/31/2018 11:10 PMPosted by Sybianjoy
The bigger question is, why would you want him to question the thesaurus instead of a dictionary.

Every one knows that "google" is the unviersal spell checker.
10/31/2018 10:53 PMPosted by Tymberlea
The person who invented the word is a.) still alive and b.) has repeatedly stated on record that he coined it to be reminiscent of "gene", and it is pronounced "meem". Memetics is a branch of semiotics, the study of signs, symbols and meaning.

Richard Dawkins, right?
meme
/mēm/

noun
noun: meme; plural noun: memes

an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.
a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc., that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.

Origin

1970s: from Greek mimēma ‘that which is imitated,’ on the pattern of gene .

The word meme is a neologism coined by Richard Dawkins. It originated from Dawkins' 1976 book The Selfish Gene.
10/31/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Lilywhite
10/31/2018 10:53 PMPosted by Tymberlea

Richard Dawkins, right?

I didn't include his name because i had forgotten it, but a quick Google check confirms he is the guy, yes. And apparently not an actual semiotician.
10/31/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Lilywhite
Richard Dawkins, right?
He's a good speaker, particularly as a critic of religion in general and fundamentalism in particular. I'm glad he didn't lose his faculties after his stroke a couple of years ago.