Nitpickers gon' nitpick

Classic Discussion
Beware all the people that are fully willing to let their private server experience, maybe their only "Vanilla" experience, dictate their views on what will and won't work in Classic.

The best thing Blizzard can do is continue to keep tight lipped until a broader playthrough experience is available. Then let more than just the hardcore fans who were willing to spend $50 on a single zone demo test the game.
11/04/2018 09:47 AMPosted by Zootntai
Beware all the people that are fully willing to let their private server experience, maybe their only "Vanilla" experience, dictate their views on what will and won't work in Classic.

The best thing Blizzard can do is continue to keep tight lipped until a broader playthrough experience is available. Then let more than just the hardcore fans who were willing to spend $50 on a single zone demo test the game.

They dispelled some of the biggest problems with the game. We're in for a good time.

Right, go read some of the threads. I myself and a few others pointed out crap like sharding isn't needed on today's hardware and the biggest server load would happen to the log-in servers
11/04/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Sunpath

They dispelled some of the biggest problems with the game. We're in for a good time.

Agreed.
11/04/2018 09:49 AMPosted by Greenemprah
Right, go read some of the threads. I myself and a few others pointed out crap like sharding isn't needed on today's hardware and the biggest server load would happen to the log-in servers

If you think the Light's Hope launch where 10 people in a group stood at one instantly spawning boar and farmed it for two hours to level is "blizzlike" you can go right back to your overpopulated and corrupted pservers. In the meantime, we need real solutions as alternatives to sharding.
The nitpickers that are actually right about what was vanilla and what wasn't are the ones that will ensure we get as accurate as possible. Bear in mind they do it out of passion.

Also, the way to fix sharding in my humble opinion is to simply not have megaservers with stupidly high populations. Splurge a little on good hardware Blizz. Make sure yo have enough of them too.
11/04/2018 10:02 AMPosted by Hairylegs
The nitpickers that are actually right about what was vanilla and what wasn't are the ones that will ensure we get as accurate as possible. Bear in mind they do it out of passion.

Also, the way to fix sharding in my humble opinion is to simply not have megaservers with stupidly high populations. Splurge a little on good hardware Blizz. Make sure yo have enough of them too.

The issue is not people's passion, it's the assumptions that what "works" on private servers is good for Classic. Or that what other problems have been endured on private servers should be endured on Classic. Any such complaints, regardless of how passionate about Classic they are, is either ignorant or being fully disingenuous about the experiences of 2004-2006 World of Warcraft.

Edit: extra letter!

I completely agree with this post.
11/04/2018 11:18 AMPosted by Vivftw

I completely agree with this post.

Well, let me first start by pointing out that nitpicking is to point out something inconsequential in comparison to qualities of the whole. (Example: See last sentence XD)

Second, there is this idea floating around that sharding is there to combat technical limitations, or that their quotes saying it's been a consideration for starting zones for the first few weeks is considered for anything more significant than that. In all reality, neither are the case. If development limitations made this an easy resolution for launching this demo, then it is a bandaid not a crutch. This is about curating an experience, in a very limited, first impression sense. Proportionality is important.

There are plenty of important issues to discuss. Picking apart that which has been already announced and explained is just watering down the discussion for more important matters like feedback on the way AI, server-client reconciliation, abilities, stats, etc, work.
11/04/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Roseblood
11/04/2018 09:49 AMPosted by Greenemprah

If you think the Light's Hope launch where 10 people in a group stood at one instantly spawning boar and farmed it for two hours to level is "blizzlike" you can go right back to your overpopulated and corrupted pservers. In the meantime, we need real solutions as alternatives to sharding.

That only happened for 1-2 days until the respawn rate got adjusted down.
I was on there when it happened.

did you stand there for 2 hours watching them ?

Actually all they care about is raid tuning and making it hard.
11/04/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Brockthorn
11/04/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Roseblood

This is a whole different beast though. Private servers won't pull as many people as Blizzards Classic release.

These also aren't the same way these problems went when World of Warcraft initially launched organically. The curve of players and level distribution throughout various zones from live release cannot be directly compared to the populations we see from the private server cohort.

In many ways, we don't know what we don't know. And that day 1 experience may be something private server players have gotten used to, or the server mods have made changes that accommodate that large of an audience, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to resolve that problem, and it certainly doesn't mean that's how Blizzard will do it.
11/04/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Zootntai
11/04/2018 12:03 PMPosted by Brockthorn

This is a whole different beast though. Private servers won't pull as many people as Blizzards Classic release.

These also aren't the same way these problems went when World of Warcraft initially launched organically. The curve of players and level distribution throughout various zones from live release cannot be directly compared to the populations we see from the private server cohort.

In many ways, we don't know what we don't know. And that day 1 experience may be something private server players have gotten used to, or the server mods have made changes that accommodate that large of an audience, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to resolve that problem, and it certainly doesn't mean that's how Blizzard will do it.

It's Blizzard's choice how they want to handle launch and they decided on sharding for the first few weeks.

I'm ok with that. If I wasn't I wouldn't play.

That's because you see "servers" and "populations" as some old method that was scrapped a long time ago.

"servers" are virtual, clouded, now. Populations is one large population in todays structure. What is the important part is how many players are in one location at a time.

Using a server to forum those lines helps in a very limited way compared to sharding.
11/04/2018 12:21 PMPosted by Brockthorn
11/04/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Zootntai

It's Blizzard's choice how they want to handle launch and they decided on sharding for the first few weeks.

I'm ok with that. If I wasn't I wouldn't play.

Yeah, exactly. If a few weeks in it's no longer an issue with the servers, and it's removed, are most people really going to be so bitter to treat the whole thing as a bust regardless?