I feel like...

General Discussion
Blizzard has lost sight of wow.

(Long read so grab a snack lol)

Now before the flames start, I want to explain what I mean.

Back in the beginning of the game, Blizzard just made the content as they thought it should be, and that was that. They focused on the stories, the encounters, the lore.... All the things that make wow amazing, and that naturally attracted people to the game because it was a great game.

Now however, I feel like they're looking at it through an Activision lense. They see it not as:

"How can we make this next xpac amazing and better than the last?"

but as

"What can we do in this xpac to market it to the most people, and up our sub numbers?"

It's like they're producing more things and more content, but that content does not have the best quality. It's not well thought out most of the time. You don't play it, and feel like genuine care was used in it's construction and development.

Now I don't know if it's simply because they don't care, and don't have that passion they had in classic, Burning Crusade, and even Wrath of the Lich King... Or if it's because Activision is constantly breathing down their necks about sub numbers and profit margins.

Whatever the case, it just feels to me like they're not stopping to really take their time and make sure the product is good. To find their passion again, and make a game that stomps the competition because the people behind it love it, and put everything they have into it.

It feels like it's just produced for the sake of producing it and saying "Hey look at our new shiny content!! Buy the newest xpac!!"

Like Activision starts screaming about how a new xpac needs to be out by X date, and because it's a deadline with no real idea or passion behind it, the product produced is lacking in quality.

It's like if you tell an artist to make something by this time, vs if you let them just create what they love.

Now I know, even if Blizzard has a passion for the game, it is still a business and timelines are a thing that will always exist, but still... I would much rather wait longer for things, if it meant Blizzard really sitting down, and coming up with good ideas for new content. Ideas that they care about, and have passion for. Ideas that they WANT to pursue and WANT to create. Not just tossing out ideas for the sake of appeasing Activision shareholders.

You just can't mass produce art, and expect it to stand up to true masterpieces that were created with delicate care and passion
Hopefully they realize overwatch is trash and abandon it, miss the times where Blizzard had the big three WoW, Diablo and Starcraft.

now its overwatch this overwatch that pfft garbage
11/07/2018 01:00 AMPosted by Bathos

Diablo 2 producer stated on twitter Blizzard has lost sight of gamers overall.
That they think they are too big to fail. (then mentioned nokia and blockbuster who were also huge and failed)

Goes on to say they need to basically listen to players and not the corporate offices.
Considering how much they lost over that reveal during Blizzcon I can see them cleaning house pretty soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9dieP7y2E&t=277s

Their stocks lost about 3.7 billion after Blizzcon
11/07/2018 01:32 AMPosted by Lockedheart
11/07/2018 01:00 AMPosted by Bathos

Diablo 2 producer stated on twitter Blizzard has lost sight of gamers overall.
That they think they are too big to fail. (then mentioned nokia and blockbuster who were also huge and failed)

Goes on to say they need to basically listen to players and not the corporate offices.
I agree. I feel their focus has shifted too much towards selling products, rather than creating an amazing game that they're passionate about.

It's just sad because vanilla/bc/wrath we're amazing, and you could tell just by playing them that Blizzard put passion and care into their products. The game was really great
It's pretty obvious they lost a bit of the pasion.. atleast with WoW, not to mention that key people that helped made this game so great is not in the dev. team anymore (Kapplan, Pardo, etc.. ). On top of that, there is a comunication distortion between players and devs. which IMO is forum Mods fault...

...then you have to add this is a 14 years old game.. and Activision's PoV of gaming industry, how they perceive the gaming world.

Result = ?
I'm not going to lie, I've been wishing, ever since the Blizzcon reveal (as well as the knowledge of them having plans for smartphone games for all their IP's in the works), that former developers and other big-wigs that used to work for Blizzard, would pull a Platonic Games sort of thing.....

But how could they possibly create new IP's and better games than what's already been created, established and beloved by many ever since the mid-90's?

I will still see things out with WoW, Diablo and such, until the bitter end (and no, we're not quite there yet, but I don't think we're far off either), but yeah, I'm definitely wishing someone would top what Blizzard achieved over a matter of 20+ years.

11/07/2018 01:28 AMPosted by Cerastes
Hopefully they realize overwatch is trash and abandon it, miss the times where Blizzard had the big three WoW, Diablo and Starcraft.

now its overwatch this overwatch that pfft garbage
You know, I'm not going to say Overwatch is a terrible or garbage game..... it's just not a "Blizzard quality/passion" game, like the ones in the Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft series are.
Wait.

Are we pretending the initial WoW story was "good"? TBC had some of the worst over all story in WoW's history.
11/07/2018 02:44 AMPosted by Akston
Wait.

Are we pretending the initial WoW story was "good"? TBC had some of the worst over all story in WoW's history.

Deflection: Failure. 0/10.
11/07/2018 02:44 AMPosted by Akston
Wait.

Rose colored glasses and all that...
The devs used to follow the "we will release it when it is done" credo, but now the credo is "this is the launch date doesn't matter if it is not ready as we can always fix problems with content patches"
They just got lazy and content. Seems like they met and were like "Ok, WoW is good, what else can we expand in to?" .... and held on to that mentality for far too long.

It shows in the lazy uncreative xpacs we've been getting lately. It shows with the lack of fan/customer interaction. It shows in the pathetic prize pool money offered to the best WoW players on the planet compared to other esports and games.

They decided the name "World of Warcraft" can sell and sustain itself, and ignored it. Forgetting that the Warcraft title is still and will forever be what Blizzard is known for. WoW is suffering, and the name Blizzard is suffering because of it.

This is the one game they have that can be top 3 on Twitch and social media every single day ... if ... they put a little effort in to it again. Step one, obviously, listen to your players who have more in-game experience than any of your devs could ever hope for.
I don't know why this is deemed an "Activision" way if looking at things this is the way all businesses look at all decisions. A business has one job and only one job and it is to increase shareholder wealth. That's it. Anything else it happens to do is a by product of the goal of increasing shareholder wealth.

Now many people are going to jump to blizzards stock price over the last week as a sign that this is a poor decision as the share price fell and that is true the share price did in fact fall. However I would advise you to consider why the price fell rather then jump to the conclusion that it is because of the fallout over the announcement.

There was an election yesterday and elections mean uncertainty and businesses and especially investors hate uncertainty. Uncertainty means increased risk it means you can't be sure that your previous investments will still be profitable it means that it's hard to evaluate whether a company will continue to be profitable because you don't know what the political landscape will be.

Now you may want to say that I am jumping to defend blizzards. That I am making excuses for them and finding other reasons but I would invite you to look at other stock prices. EA stock fell over the last week, Apple stock fell over the last week, Google stock fell over the last week. And the NASDAQ fell over the last week.

Yes it is possible that the fall in stock price is linked to the announcement snat BlizzCon but we will have to wait at least a few weeks to see what the true effects are
w/e the case, the game has never been better and there has never been more to do. Wow used to be a 1 month thing and then you were bis nothing to do until the next patch.
I agree completely.

I'd also like to add that their writers got a lot worse.