"We have developers working on mobile games for all of our Ips"

General Discussion
Hello CD projekt red
11/07/2018 02:42 PMPosted by Eyrinjia
11/07/2018 12:54 PMPosted by Sunday

People who play games that aren't on phones

And here simple-minded little me thought that a gamer is a person who plays games. Go figure.

Actually its a valid point. Mobile games are less about playing a game and 99% about "Ugh, waiting sucks, what can I do to kill 15-20 minutes?"

I've never yet met a mobile game I had to take seriously. Every single one of them are cheap minigames that serve only to hold attention for a few minutes here and there. Some of them are alright. Some of them are even kinda fun. But to throw them into an arena with REAL games.. Most of them are total jokes.

Maybe that'll change in 5-10 years. But presently mobile games are meh. Unless we're talking about the Switch, but that falls under "legit console".
11/08/2018 12:32 AMPosted by Snowfox
11/08/2018 12:29 AMPosted by Sevaira
Expanding out to mobile is not really an issue, the issue with the whole diablo thing is just how tone deaf they are to their community.

I'd agree the timing of the reveal, at blizzcon to existing pc-based diablo fans, was what I sometimes refer to as "less than optimally intelligent"

The project itself, will probably make money... but the timing.. was.. yeah.

You might even say the timing will be immortalized as a potential devilish blunder.
11/07/2018 02:57 PMPosted by Kyveli
They removed mentions of Warcraft from Hearthstone at least a year ago. It's its own IP at this point.

No, no it's not. Every bit of Hearthstone - including the name - is directly from Warcraft or derived from it.
11/08/2018 12:34 AMPosted by Orthane
Pathetic. I hate it when people get money hungry and want more and more and more

That's kinda the point of big business though. Big businesses expand into things that make them money.

McDonald's (Blizzard) is known for its burgers (Diablo PC client) but in the last decade, McDonald's has expanded into salads (Mobile diablo games), and desserts (diablo side games)

Like McDonald's with salads and desserts, if Blizzard successfully expands into new markets, it'll greatly increase the success of the company...

And as someone noted in a thread earlier today, the more money they have coming in, the more they can pour into their core titles (WoW, D4, etc)
11/08/2018 12:37 AMPosted by Tyl
11/07/2018 02:42 PMPosted by Eyrinjia

And here simple-minded little me thought that a gamer is a person who plays games. Go figure.

Actually its a valid point. Mobile games are less about playing a game and 99% about "Ugh, waiting sucks, what can I do to kill 15-20 minutes?"

I've never yet met a mobile game I had to take seriously. Every single one of them are cheap minigames that serve only to hold attention for a few minutes here and there. Some of them are alright. Some of them are even kinda fun. But to throw them into an arena with REAL games.. Most of them are total jokes.

Maybe that'll change in 5-10 years. But presently mobile games are meh. Unless we're talking about the Switch, but that falls under "legit console".

That's the thing, isn't it - technology changes. It advances. Could we have conceived of what mobiles and tablets would like today 20 years ago? What they can do, how impressive and versatile they are?

If companies like Blizzard invest in mobile games and make them more powerful, then the hardware makers will see the potential and start working on the next generation, and the one after that, and so on. Who knows what the future will look like but I suspect it won't just be fiddling away on a tiny keyboard watching little balls bounce around.

One industry feeds the other. The future is all about creativity and thats limitless.
11/08/2018 12:31 AMPosted by Elean
I'd rather they invest in half a dozen mobile games if thats what it takes to keep WoW going.

I think people are afraid that these mobile games will become so lucrative that the traditional format of gaming becomes an after thought. The quality decreases of their beloved titles as they restructure to give them less money and the lesser talent.

There is a fear the AAA game market will just stop producing the games we love all together or far and few between in favor of appealing to another market. It will leave an opening for some Indie devs but those big epic games will become a rarity should that bleak future for the traditional gaming experience come to pass.

I for one will probably never adapt to the mobile market, I have tried but more and more these days I almost want bigger screens, not to mention these phones have like no battery life, my phone would have to be plugged in all the time.
11/08/2018 12:45 AMPosted by Sevaira
11/08/2018 12:31 AMPosted by Elean
I'd rather they invest in half a dozen mobile games if thats what it takes to keep WoW going.

I think people are afraid that these mobile games will become so lucrative that the traditional format of gaming becomes an after thought. The quality decreases of their beloved titles as they restructure to give them less money and the lesser talent.

There is a fear the AAA game market will just stop producing the games we love all together or far and few between in favor of appealing to another market. It will leave an opening for some Indie devs but those big epic games will become a rarity should that bleak future for the traditional gaming experience come to pass.

I for one will probably never adapt to the mobile market, I have tried but more and more these days I almost want bigger screens, not to mention these phones have like no battery life, my phone would have to be plugged in all the time.

Personally, the lack of a physical control scheme is the biggest killer for me. But yeah, phones just don't generally make for good gaming consoles.

Doesn't mean they never will..
But they don't right now.
11/08/2018 12:53 AMPosted by Tyl
11/08/2018 12:45 AMPosted by Sevaira

Personally, the lack of a physical control scheme is the biggest killer for me. But yeah, phones just don't generally make for good gaming consoles.

Think about how you play WC3, SC2 or Diablo 3... The vast majority of commands you give those games come from the mouse.

Replace mouse with finger, and add a few onscreen controls to accomidate the quick keys, and I think those games could function as perfect games on iPad/Android tablet.

Not sure how they'd work on the reduced screen size of phones though.
11/08/2018 12:56 AMPosted by Erolia
Replace mouse with finger, and add a few onscreen controls to accomidate the quick keys, and I think those games could function as perfect games on iPad/Android tablet.

Starcraft is so fast though that I am not sure if the precision in touch screens is there yet, if it ever will be to give even remotely a similar experience. Honestly it would most likely be an RTS that plays differently, slower, less precision needed, a spin off of sorts.
11/07/2018 12:28 PMPosted by Sinelus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOVfw5O5c1g

Our PC days are numbered, Blizz is changing to a mobile based company and this wil send the PC portion into garbage level content. Get ready for WoW mobile everyone!

This type of hysteria is likely what makes Blizzard avoid replying on the general forums so much. Absolutely ridiculous.
11/08/2018 01:06 AMPosted by Carhagen
This type of hysteria is likely what makes Blizzard avoid replying on the general forums so much. Absolutely ridiculous.

"None of our devs play PC games anymore and we've moved our best developers to mobile games."

What, exactly, is there in that message that doesn't cause worry?
11/08/2018 01:05 AMPosted by Sevaira

Starcraft is so fast though that I am not sure if the precision in touch screens is there yet, if it ever will be to give even remotely a similar experience. Honestly it would most likely be an RTS that plays differently, slower, less precision needed, a spin off of sorts.

I would definitely love it if someone actually tried to create a proper Starcraft style RTS game for iPad, so we can see if you're right.

Then again, the demands of Blizzard could force Apple and the android makers to make better touch screens. As someone said above, the technology evolves with what we try to do with it.
11/08/2018 01:08 AMPosted by Espur
11/08/2018 01:06 AMPosted by Carhagen

"None of our devs play PC games anymore and we've moved our best developers to mobile games."

What, exactly, is there in that message that doesn't cause worry?

Did he say none or just that many of them play less PC and more phone?
and in other news water is still wet
11/08/2018 01:10 AMPosted by Erolia
Then again, the demands of Blizzard could force Apple and the android makers to make better touch screens. As someone said above, the technology evolves with what we try to do with it.

Even with that we still have this massive problem and that is batter life, without a massive breakthrough there will be some issues with trying to evolve the rest of the technology. I remember reading something years ago that that they feel as their is not a whole lot left they can do with Lithium Ion batteries, that each advancement gets smaller and smaller. We will need something else for a lot of our tech to advance at the rate we want it to. Maybe they will start to make Sodium Ion batteries viable but who knows how far off that is.
11/08/2018 01:12 AMPosted by Landusk
and in other news water is still wet

Thats actually pretty hotly debated these days.
11/08/2018 12:53 AMPosted by Tyl

Think about how you play WC3, SC2 or Diablo 3... The vast majority of commands you give those games come from the mouse.

Not sure how they'd work on the reduced screen size of phones though.

I see your point. My comment is that the mouse is only part of the equation. Clicking and dragging, hot keys for unit activation, scrolling while having engaged a mouse button.

All I’m sure can be duplicated, but if I replaced the mouse with my finger on the computer screen of the PC I use now, I don’t think it would analogous to simply using my mouse.

I’m not a human factors engineer or motor skills expert, but it seems there’s a reason for the mouse as an extensions of an equation of how we manipulate a virtual process.
Please...

Stop white knighting blizzard
11/08/2018 01:16 AMPosted by Lilywhite
I’m not a human factors engineer or motor skills expert, but it seems there’s a reason for the mouse as an extensions of an equation of how we manipulate a virtual process.

Well DPI plays such a huge factor into speed precision when it comes to PC gaming that touchscreen will never be able to emulate. For every inch I move my mouse I can move 10 inches on screen for example. On a touch screen I have to quite literally move my fingers those 10 inches, or at least a few inches and the become increasingly reliant on some sort of game feature that moves the camera point across the map as your fingers reach the edge of the screen.