Kul Tiras Not Kul'Tiras

General Discussion
11/07/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Twonkie
Look it's all very simple just stop using the apostrophe and nobody gets hurt. It's not used in game. It's not used on Wowhead. Wiki sites don't count.

https://www.wowhead.com/quest=321/lightforge-iron (Old vanilla quest that has been removed as of cata)

Daelin's forces in WC3:TFT were referred to Kul'Tiras Marines

https://www.wowhead.com/object=175772/admiral-barean-westwind

inb4 you say all of those are #fakenews
11/07/2018 02:08 PMPosted by Denona
11/07/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Twonkie
Look it's all very simple just stop using the apostrophe and nobody gets hurt. It's not used in game. It's not used on Wowhead. Wiki sites don't count.

https://www.wowhead.com/quest=321/lightforge-iron (Old vanilla quest that has been removed as of cata)

Daelin's forces in WC3:TFT were referred to Kul'Tiras Marines

https://www.wowhead.com/object=175772/admiral-barean-westwind

inb4 you say all of those are #fakenews

I just checked wc2 and wc3 videos and they call it "Kul Tiras", to be fair.

Blizzards never been too good at keeping consistent naming.
11/07/2018 02:13 PMPosted by Alisiaa
Blizzards never been too good at keeping consistent naming.

Blizzard has never been too good at being consistent period.

The only thing they are consistent at is being inconsistent.
11/07/2018 12:33 PMPosted by Twonkie
I only do this because I care and also because it triggers my OCD and I'm probably neurotic or something:

There is no apostrophe between Kul and Tiras. This is not Zul'Gurub or Quel'Thalas. Thank you all for your support in this highly important matter.

Yes there is. Warcraft II's usage of the name is "Kul'Tiras."
Do you remember in history class reading an original photocopy of the U.S Constitution? Do you remember how they spelled "Congress"? It was spelled "Congrefs", signifying a long "s" sound. That stopped being used around the 1800's. If you spelled Congress "Congrefs" today you would be considered wrong. That's all this is. Be nice to me I only do this out of love.
11/07/2018 12:55 PMPosted by Truthspeaker
Dude, I'm still working on Atal'Dazar Zuldazar and Zandalar and trying to remember which is the city, which is the zone and which is the whole group of islands.

Not really. I know which is which. But try saying it in a sentence: The city of Atal'Dazar in Zuldazar on Zaldalar. Oof. Too many Ds and Zs and Ls.

It's all Zandalar to me.
"Going to meet the Zandalari in Zandalar City, in the province of Zandalar, on the island of Zandalar"

I'm surprised they didn't make it Zan'Dalar.

It's a running joke in worldbuilding communities, that fictional languages tend to add too many apostrophes.
Irregardless, we need to not stress over the littel things like grammer. It’s already a doggie dog world out there without all youse guyses nickpicking
There is no apostrophe between Kul and Tiras.

There is if I put one there.

Kul'Tiras

See?
11/07/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Aigeiros
to be fair, when it comes to names

blizzard has some kind of apostrophe fetish

11/07/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Snowslight

One of the things that's been triggering me lately are people who, on their 1st post, begin their statement with "I mean".

They're explaining themselves and yet they haven't said anything yet. It was funny at first but now, I see so many doing it that it's become aggravating.

'i mean' is being used as a discourse marker in those contexts

it does not have a literal meaning

but instead performs a conversational function

I know but it still reads really dumb. Would be so much cleaner and concise if they left it off.
11/07/2018 03:18 PMPosted by Righteous
There is no apostrophe between Kul and Tiras.

There is if I put one there.

Kul'Tiras

See?
I can only hope the Light may one day show you the error of your ways.
11/07/2018 03:08 PMPosted by Slimeseason
Irregardless, we need to not stress over the littel things like grammer. It’s already a doggie dog world out there without all youse guyses nickpicking
Orcs are excluded because you're all as dumb as a bag of rocks.

Edit: I would like to now extend an apology to the bag of rocks. No, I'm sorry for insulting Orcs. You're a fine, studious, bright and clever species and an absolute pleasure to share Azeroth with.
11/07/2018 04:58 PMPosted by Twonkie
11/07/2018 03:08 PMPosted by Slimeseason
Orcs are excluded because you're all as dumb as a bag of rocks.

Well at least you’ll be able to take solace in the fact that you’re more intellectually refined as I crush your head like a grape with one hand
11/07/2018 05:30 PMPosted by Slimeseason
11/07/2018 04:58 PMPosted by Twonkie
...Orcs are excluded because you're all as dumb as a bag of rocks.

Well at least you’ll be able to take solace in the fact that you’re more intellectually refined as I crush your head like a grape with one hand
No and you forget the period again.
Kul Tiras (also spelled as Kul'Tiras, pronounced KOOL-teer-AHS) is an island chain located in the Great Sea, west of the Eastern Kingdoms. The islands are home to the human nation of the same name, having originally been discovered and colonized by Gilnean sailors from the mainland Eastern Kingdoms.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Kul_Tiras
11/07/2018 06:50 PMPosted by Twonkie
11/07/2018 05:30 PMPosted by Slimeseason

No and you forget the period again.

can you come to my house and do it for me I get confused
who cares you're still a gnome hunter
And murloc isn't spelled with a k
I shorten everything so, Kul and Zul.
11/07/2018 12:42 PMPosted by Thèón
So why is wrong? Can you provide an explanation?

The problem with apostrophes is that they're used as a substitute for letters that aren't getting used but would otherwise exist in those words. For example, I used a couple of them in that previous sentence, with "they're" instead of "they are" and "aren't" instead of "are not."

Kul'tiras is wrong because there's nothing between Kul and Tiras that the apostrophe should be removing. (Yes, sometimes Blizzard's writers have made that mistake, but they've made spelling errors in plenty of other places too.) A lot of fantasy and science fiction writers love using apostrophes in their names because it makes them seem more exotic, but I personally find them wearying. Case in point: some people think Timothy Zahn's Thrawn novels are the best specimens of Star Wars expanded universe out there, but I wasn't that enamored of them, and Jorus C'baoth is the first and most important reason for why I feel that way.
Zul'Tiras