Prot Pvp

Paladin
I hear people talking about this and running it in certain 3v3 comps in arena. Can someone tell me why?

I really like Prot and I'm interested in checking it out at max level when I ding.
shield interrupt makes it really annoying for casters/healers

it's cheesing though, not actually skill and you will hit a brick wall at a low rating.
11/11/2018 06:58 AMPosted by Wetrobrute

it's cheesing though, not actually skill and you will hit a brick wall at a low rating.

Avenger's Shield only interrupts non-player targets. It's more for prot being a very durable, high burst class with solid defensive utility and spot healing, with good cleave. Certain comps make it work well.
11/11/2018 09:19 AMPosted by Castleguarde

Avenger's Shield only interrupts non-player targets. It's more for prot being a very durable, high burst class with solid defensive utility and spot healing, with good cleave. Certain comps make it work well.

Could you elaborate on where the burst comes from? And perhaps the rest too?
11/11/2018 09:58 AMPosted by Leadbelly

Could you elaborate on where the burst comes from? And perhaps the rest too?

I've only toyed with it around 1600 rating in 3s, so I won't pretend to know many of the nuances. But, even with PvE-focused tanking traits, I can burst 18-22k or so single target with AW + Seraphim, constant aoe 50% snare, the typical pally utility (blessings, etc), strong emergency heals from HotP.

With proper azerite traits for the task (for example, Indomitable Justice is kinda bonkers for prot with prot's sub-5 second CD Judgment), I could easily see bursting 25k+ dps on a kill target, while still tossing around respectable cleave damage and utility.

Sure it's no dps class, but in the right comp it's both fun and effective.

Pvp traits makes shield able to slience players. 45sec cd
Thanks for the feedback, both.
Pop wings
avengers shield
hammer
hammer
consecration
shield smack
shield smack
shield smack

When I solo old content as prot, I am almost never without some attack to use.
I dont want to give away my secrets, but I also dont think many people will read this and take it seriously, or care. So, ill give you the low-down.

The real trick to Prot Pally damage is Mastery. There is an azerite trait called Avengers might that gives you a huge boost to mastery when you pop your wings. Stack that three times, and maybe pick yourself up one of the trinkets that you can use for another 1000 mastery. With that and Seraphim running you can double your damage for 15 or so seconds. Every attack will hit huge numbers.

Even with that, you still arent gonna be doing the damage of a REAL damage class. But it gives you a burst window to work with.

What actually makes you viable in arenas though, is your shields. Specifically Blessing of Protection, and Guardian of the Forgotten Queen (PVP talent). You can cast these on allies, which can be HUGE.

Ive heard that a prot pally, ret pally, and other burst damage class can make a great 3v3 because the two pallys can divine shield, and then prot can cast Forgotten Queen on the third dps..making all of you immune to CC for a short window..so you can burst down their healer.