A Thank You To Our Veterans

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
Armistice day ended here a few hours ago. Kudos to the people who made the ultimate sacrifice to keep the rest of us chuckleheads safe.
11/11/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Vadya
11/11/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Hrumn
... what is wrong with you?

He's being realistic?

My neighbor has been a violent psychopath all through childhood. Repeatedly attacked his sister, weekly visits from the police when he would trash the house, sent to a "special school". When he came home after aging out, he promptly burnt down the garage. Most recently, the police were here again because he was setting animal traps around the neighborhood and decapitating what he caught.

Oh and he's joining the Marines. He'll end up like the Thousand Oaks shooter if he survives service.
That kind of person rarely seems to make it. The fact that you can point him out for this and not so many others says a lot. One out of how many millions?
11/11/2018 08:41 AMPosted by Vadya
11/11/2018 08:36 AMPosted by Hrumn
... what is wrong with you?

He's being realistic?

If you think the military is focusing on psychopaths to recruit, you've got problems.

Oh and he's joining the Marines. He'll end up like the Thousand Oaks shooter if he survives service.

Is his mental illness documented?
Absolutely.

To our soldiers who have or currently still do serve, we thank you.

#LestWeForget.
11/11/2018 07:10 AMPosted by Porwasil
I live in Toronto, don't care.

Remembrance Day? :(
11/11/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Blitzkareeg
We owe them EVERYTHING

I am owed nothing more than the title of United States Marine. I earned that.

Even though I was injured many times during my time of active service, and some of those injuries were indeed grievous and the last was a permenent one, I don't have a disabled sticker or tag on my car, though I could if I so chose. I do have small Marine Corps emblems on the front quarter panels of my car though.

When I am thanked for my service, I am quick to thank that person for their support and remind them that without the support of the American taxpayers, my fellow Marines and I would have died long ago.

I am also quick to silence any talk of people calling me a hero for what I did, I am not a hero, but I did serve with a great many of them, and was honored and deeply touched to be considered by them to be their brother and equal. To them, all of which have gone to their final posts, and to every other veteran, I will say thank you for standing with me.

Semper Fi!
o7 thank you.
It's my personal belief that veterans, past, present, and future, should receive the care and praise they deserve. I know not everyone goes into combat, as we're not in any major wars or anything like that right now, buts it's knowing that these people are being trained for such an event in case we are to go into war.

War can happen at any time. We don't know when we'll be in a war with another country. When we are though, we have these soldiers who were trained to deal with those situations, who are able to go straight into battle whenever we need them to.

I'm not in the service yet, but I'm about to be. I'll be going into the Air Force, and I'll admit I'm a bit nervous going in, but I don't like being helpless. I love and care for alot of people. My friends, my family, even to some of the kind people I meet on World of Warcraft as crazy as that sounds. If a war broke out one day and many people died and I wasn't in the service, I'd feel a bit bad, knowing that I could've probably done something only if I had served. This is my reason for wanting to serve, (as well as wanting to travel, but who doesn't want to travel!)
Really disheartening seeing some of the negative comments and dismissive comments toward veterens in this thread.

We get it kids you edgy.

Politics are not supposed to be part of this. The fact is no matter what war someone fought in, they took the call to duty to create a safe atmosphere for their country . And I don't just mean that about Americans. I saw some kid post he was Canadian and didn't care? Like Canada doesn't have a military ? Like those fine men and women don't protect their home land and their presence protects your way of life? Shame on you...

Not to mention the passed soldiers. Through all the wars who out everything they had to establish themselves and protect the right you have to be a little twit.

It's a day to remember and appreciate the effort soldiers put into being a safe gaurd in an utterly violent world. Just imagine for a second without a force to protect you.

I promise you a country would invade and strip your life down. And don't try to tell me it wouldn't happen because it has to much smaller countries all through out time.

/Facepalm. I know the world is political nightmare now but your targeting your frustrations at the wrong people.
They didn't give us freedom.

They gave us power and oil

Please keep your facts checked before posting.
11/11/2018 09:00 AMPosted by Bamboo

lol, you insist on facts while posting opinions
Leave it to GD to turn a simple vet day post into a steaming pile of garbage lmao.
Served 11 and wish I could do it all over again! Then I would have 22 years in all together! I should have never left... lol
11/11/2018 09:02 AMPosted by Whim
11/11/2018 09:00 AMPosted by Bamboo

lol, you insist on facts while posting opinions

that definitely sums up my time in the service pretty well. power and oil.

not freedom and happiness. we dont even fight for freedom, we have a track record of toppling democratically elected governments because they dont want to sell their oil to us at cheap prices.

and dont get me wrong, the true heroes here are ww1 and ww2 vets. thats it. no other vets or wars. ww1 and ww2 would of affected us at home, and those vets are heroes.

but treating veterans day as a day to celebrate joe schmoe random guy #1230913428109 that joined the military and did nothing outstanding came back home and killed 11 people is absolutely ridiculous.

treating vets like rockstars is a dangerous mentality because vets, are just normal people, nothing else. and most dont fight for your freedom, they join for their own reasons. hell i had people in the service that joined because it was either 4 years of jail or 4 years of military, so they chose the latter. that should say everything about who joins the military.

are there good people in the military? sure. are they better or more important than good people that arent in the military? NO. THEY ARE EQUAL.

not to mention that since ww2 we've been in a perpetual war on any country that has oil and brown people in it.
11/11/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Swintel
I saw some kid post he was Canadian and didn't care? Like Canada doesn't have a military ? Like those fine men and women don't protect their home land and their presence protects your way of life? Shame on you...

It's a little worse for Canadians who 'don't care' as today isn't Veterans Day in Canada. It's Remembrance day. (think Memorial Day, Americans.)

A day where we remember the sacrifice, and honour the dead. Specifically, those that died fighting the First World War.

Today isn't about those who returned. It's about those who didn't.
11/11/2018 09:08 AMPosted by Dirtytricks
that definitely sums up my time in the service pretty well. power and oil.
I know very few who say this though. The ones that do usually have an agenda.

treating vets like rockstars is a dangerous mentality because vets, are just normal people, nothing else. and most dont fight for your freedom, they join for their own reasons. hell i had people in the service that joined because it was either 4 years of jail or 4 years of military, so they chose the latter. that should say everything about who joins the military.
Most of the pogues/pogs I know have been in firefights though.

not to mention that since ww2 we've been in a perpetual war on any country that has oil and brown people in it.
Except the Balkans, and several of those wars with brown people in it had little to nothing to do with racism. Realistically it was limiting the influence of the Communism, which is not as wholesome as people what to believe.
11/11/2018 07:28 AMPosted by Blitzkareeg
11/11/2018 07:07 AMPosted by Nickydoo
/yawn

Really? MOVE! Seriously, MOVE!

We owe them EVERYTHING and i am 100% GRATEFUL for their sacrifice for this country and MY RIGHTS!

I got injured doing so, and am now been perma disabled since 1992!

Sorry folks, but that reply pushed a HUGE anger button.

Disrespectful!

I wish we had a military that REQUIRED two years minimum service like other countries. Then you would have a much better attitude in this country. Someone who /yawns has no idea what it takes to voluntarily sacrifice your life, or lose limbs in the service of this country.In the case of WW1, you choked on poisonous gas, or got cut in half by machine guns.

Can feel your pain, caught shrapnel in my back, right side 9 years ago, most of my nerve clusters on my right side are dead.

Doctors told my right side was mostly gone nerve wise, walking, moving etc would be a chore. I took my first step a month after I was hit, I was not giving up.

Funny thing was, when I took that step, I heard a little voice "Try not, Do or do not, there is no try" (I kinda think about the pain pills on that voice lol) .

Right side back to 50%, I'm alive, I won.
Just got back from a sunrise service.

100 years ago, the guns fell silent...for a while.
The War to end all wars was over...or so we thought.
Today we wear red poppies, not national flags.
To all of you, who wore the uniform, thank you: you tried.
to all of you who feel it was all for nothing; then take back this world by not swallowing every drop of Kool-Aid that comes your way.

There is no wall so high or strong, that people cannot reach across, and thus enemies bury the enmity.
In 1913, and again in 1938, at the respective commemorations of the Battle of Gettysburg, survivors of that battle met at that most terrible place, the wall of THE ANGLE...and shook hands. One of them even raised the old Rebel Yell; cracked and feebled yet you could hear, and feel, the power behind it.

Soldiers don't hate; that's the job for the politicians...and the fools who support them.
... Our country let him down after his service. Veterans need better health and mental heath care than they are getting.

he was just a psychopath. no one let anyone down. im a vet too.

here are some facts:

1. not all vets are good people.
2. not all soldiers are good people.
3. this country has done unquestionably evil deeds throughout history.
4. the government is glorifying vets and soldiers to justify a defense budget that is absolutely ridiculous and a waste of tax payer money.

those are facts. ok, so spare me the "thank you for your service BS" that the gov is peddling onto you people in order to spend some more trillions on "defense" none of which is received by anyone in the actual military.

here is another fact. throughout my service i never fought anything that had any bearing on your freedom at home. we are isolated on 2 borders, 3 if you count canada border, because trust me, u wont be able to start a war with canada even if you wanted to. you think the middle east somehow affects your freedom? it doesnt.

found the !@#$bag soldier lol so what did you suck at? most vets don't act like this unless they were terrible and absolutely hated everything about the military lol
not freedom and happiness. we dont even fight for freedom, we have a track record of toppling democratically elected governments because they dont want to sell their oil to us at cheap prices.

The tin foil hat is strong on this one...

While it's true our country has fought other countries for some absurd reasons, you can't deny there are some messed up people in power in some of those countries, or other countries trying to push some agenda such as communism. Take a look at most of the middle eastern countries, they don't even have simple civil rights like we do in most countries. It really goes to show the kind of people in charge of those countries, and the more we try to make other countries a better place, the more people don't have to rely on moving to the U.S just to receive a better life. Wouldn't it be great if other countries had the same opportunity we have?

but treating veterans day as a day to celebrate joe schmoe random guy #1230913428109 that joined the military and did nothing outstanding came back home and killed 11 people is absolutely ridiculous.

Oh come on. That guy had some serious mental health issues. I'll admit, people like him don't deserve any praise, but to say no one should receive praise just because there's a possibility, (with no evidence), they can become like him is absurd.
treating vets like rockstars is a dangerous mentality because vets, are just normal people, nothing else. and most dont fight for your freedom, they join for their own reasons.

Yes, people join for their own reasons, but they're still required to fight for their country whenever that time comes. They're being trained to fight in wars, with the possibility of being in a war at any time... It doesn't matter if they weren't in a war, they were ready to give their lives should a war come.

are there good people in the military? sure. are they better or more important than good people that arent in the military? NO. THEY ARE EQUAL.

Civilian and military status are two completely different things. This country praises the wrong types of people, such as celebrities every single day, but all of a sudden it's not fine to praise people who actually matter, such as the veterans, just for one day? They aren't equal. I'm sorry, they're ready to give their lives.